Justin Thomas thread

People could ignore Ralph Lauren because they pay a young man who is ok spewing, what many consider, repugnant homophobic hate speech. I bet a company who spends a lot of time in the fashion community doesn't want to be associated with a person who flippantly uses repugnant homophobic hate speech, because more people may ignore that company.

Spewing?

Flippantly?

More like "thoughtless" or "unaware". If he had thought about it, he would not have said it.

JT grew up in the South, in a conservative setting. Guess what? Bad words were learned and said early. It sounded reflexive. No excuse but understandable

People could ignore Ralph Lauren because they pay a young man who is ok spewing, what many consider, repugnant homophobic hate speech. I bet a company who spends a lot of time in the fashion community doesn't want to be associated with a person who flippantly uses repugnant homophobic hate speech, because more people may ignore that company.

Yes Sir, excellent point. Everyone is very sensitive as a rule in their Community unless they are talking with each other. Just for clarification I have some gay family members and they do have a sense of humor about things in private. In public I am sure they would have the pitch forks and torches out.

Being a Boomer I do remember the hate and violent reactions to gays and people of Color, it is said that we Boomers are probably the most tolerant toward this type of thing even though we get the "get off my lawn" treatment from you young folks.

We lived the real civil rights movements (and fully supported it) and the awakening of the gay world and more power to them, but again IMO we all need to step back and take care of our lives and not try to live everyone else's. But I do blame the Social media for making it so easy to hate what you don't agree with.

My mother was a true Hippie and peace and love to all was a way of life, but even so I will still utter the wrong thing every now and then but the people I roll with (and family) just ignore it and move on.

I deleted my post.

Expletives are one thing. Slurs are another. I hope he learns from this. I won't even start to defend the usage of the word.

"Nancy" "karen" "ann" "snowflake" they are all words used to belittle someone....but no one has a problem saying any of them. Why not? Isn't bullying someone a bad thing or is it only bad if it is the words certain people don't like?

Personally I think the word "retarded" or "retard" is the word that drives me nuts. When I hear it I cringed....but I'm not going to flip out on someone for using it.

Double standard for certain things or certain groups is wrong. You cant be offended by someone saying the "f" word and then call someone a "karen" or "snowflake".

"Nancy" "karen" "ann" "snowflake" they are all words used to belittle someone....but no one has a problem saying any of them. Why not? Isn't bullying someone a bad thing or is it only bad if it is the words certain people don't like?

Personally I think the word "retarded" or "retard" is the word that drives me nuts. When I hear it I cringed....but I'm not going to flip out on someone for using it.

Double standard for certain things or certain groups is wrong. You cant be offended by someone saying the "f" word and then call someone a "karen" or "snowflake".
So wait, is Sally off the table now when I leave a putt short? Crap!!!

This boggles my mind.

I personally am fine with someone being held responsible for their actions. I’m speaking for myself but the “cancelling” that I don’t like is that twitter is now the jury in most instances and media companies are the judges.

basic outline

1. Twitter/social media expresses outrage over something. Could be a couple of people, could be hundreds.

2. Yahoo etc. writes article on incident and highlighting tweets as an example of outrage.

3.The articles itself drives unhealthy conversation in comments/social media to the point where people move to the extremes of the argument to prove their point. ex: I hope JT loses all sponsorships, or on the other side of the spectrum putting blame on lbgtq community.

Regardless this drives negative publicity in the companies name and ultimately the fate seems to be the same at least today, which is loss of support financially. There are different levels to this obviously, but it’s still a dark path this is on.

Here is another example. In Indiana right now, there is a very popular facebook page called PCI (Predator Catchers Indianapolis).
They have a decoy message pedophiles for a few days. Then schedule to meet the guys in a public place on Facebook live and humiliate them then turn info into the Cops.
Im very happy they are exposing creeps. They just exposed a high school music teacher who was trying to meet a 14 year old in his classroom. He was arrested which is great.

However, the page is so popular (50k followers) that people who follow send hateful things to the family and children. Multiple occasions they have posted a name and over 15 people slandered and harassed a different person with the same name all over social media. At one point do one of these kids kill themselves over the embarrassment?

when I say I hate cancel culture I don’t mean I dislike the consequences. I think I more dislike who’s deciding the consequences.

People have to realize that a sponsorship like a Ralph Lauren contract isn’t a God given right. It’s something that happens when a company decides they want you as an ambassador for their brand. When a person embarrasses that brand, said company has every right to end the relationship.
Justin Thomas happens to be my favorite golfer, and I’m glad he apologized, but I have no sympathy for him here. In fact I’ll be annoyed if Titleist doesn’t drop him the way they did Scott Piercy.
I want to stress this isn’t a “cancel culture” reaction either. Playing golf on tour is how Thomas makes his living, he has a right to do that. He doesn’t have any God given right to a sponsors contract. if the PGA tour tried to suspend him, I’d have a big problem with that, but as far as any company dropping him? None at all.
Actions and words have consequences. What Thomas said was offensive, and now he’ll have to deal with the consequences, same as anyone else.

Why? Isn't it wrong to bully people or demean them?

Bullying is completely wrong. I don't get how I said anything different.

However, if you don't understand the magnitude of the word that JT used, I'm not going to be able to change your mind.

Thought this was quite interesting. Not my image.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
b65f0bc5f14b6107565ec244e2b1a880.jpg

However, if you don't understand the magnitude of the word that JT used, I'm not going to be able to change your mind.
While I don’t agree with the above poster that you are quoting, I do believe that R word he used is equally troubling and offensive.

It’s not as commonly discussed but just as demeaning and has had the same ramifications over eras

People have to realize that a sponsorship like a Ralph Lauren contract isn’t a God given right. It’s something that happens when a company decides they want you as an ambassador for their brand. When a person embarrasses that brand, said company has every right to end the relationship.
Justin Thomas happens to be my favorite golfer, and I’m glad he apologized, but I have no sympathy for him here. In fact I’ll be annoyed if Titleist doesn’t drop him the way they did Scott Piercy.
I want to stress this isn’t a “cancel culture” reaction either. Playing golf on tour is how Thomas makes his living, he has a right to do that. He doesn’t have any God given right to a sponsors contract. if the PGA tour tried to suspend him, I’d have a big problem with that, but as far as any company dropping him? None at all.
Actions and words have consequences. What Thomas said was offensive, and now he’ll have to deal with the consequences, same as anyone else.

see this is cancel culture though. You literally just said you’d be annoyed if titelist doesn’t drop him and compared something he said under his breath to a very homophobic intended Instagram post. You wouldn’t be satisfied if he was kicked off tour, but instead hope he loses the most important sponsorship he has? What is enough?

While I don’t agree with the above poster that you are quoting, I do believe that R word he used is equally troubling and offensive.

It’s not as commonly discussed but just as demeaning and has had the same ramifications over eras

I wasn't referring to the R word portion. Due to personal reasons, I'm refraining from touching that part.

I'm talking about the last paragraph of his post.

Every word started from somewhere. Obviously this particular word didn't carry the magnitude that it does now.

you don't have to convince me or change my mind...I am playing devils advocate here. Either your offended by anything that offends people or your not...cant pick and choose.

Every word started from somewhere. Obviously this particular word didn't carry the magnitude that it does now.

you don't have to convince me or change my mind...I am playing devils advocate here. Either your offended by anything that offends people or your not...cant pick and choose.
Yes I can and I do.

see this is cancel culture though. You literally just said you’d be annoyed if titelist doesn’t drop him and compared something he said under his breath to a very homophobic intended Instagram post. You wouldn’t be satisfied if he was kicked off tour, but instead hope he loses the most important sponsorship he has? What is enough?
Do you understand what a corporate sponsorship is?
It’s a very easy and lucrative thing to fulfill. Just don’t embarrass the brand.
Now go google Justin Thomas... you’ll get a ton of results talking about him using a homophobic slur wearing Ralph Lauren clothes and a Titleist hat. He also plays their clubs and has the staff bag.
If I’m Titleist I’m not happy seeing that on social media.
Does Justin Thomas being a top 5 player make his apology more sincere? Is it worth it to a publically traded corporation like Acushnet to keep him on staff?
That’s up to Titleist to decide.

Maybe he was calling himself one of these, readily available in the UK.....
C86D85D9-B174-4727-8477-F6B2ABB4B224.jpeg
I know this is a serious subject, just trying to lighten things up briefly.

Maybe he was calling himself one of these, readily available in the UK.....
View attachment 8988632
I know this is a serious subject, just trying to lighten things up briefly.
I was familiar with the cigarette verbiage, but this is new to me!

I wish I was surprised to see people make these obvious false equivalencies in 2021, but I’m not.

I was familiar with the cigarette verbiage, but this is new to me!
Much like spotted dick, I don’t think you’ll find them for sale outside the British Isles LOL. Horrible things.

are you a hypocrite then? so you're only worried about things that offend you and the side you choose
Maybe I am. Certain words are a non-starter. The one Justin Thomas said is one of them. You mentioned another, earlier. Calling a rude woman a Karen isn't something I do, I don't think it's that funny. But it's not the same level as some words.

Do you understand what a corporate sponsorship is?
It’s a very easy and lucrative thing to fulfill. Just don’t embarrass the brand.
Now go google Justin Thomas... you’ll get a ton of results talking about him using a homophobic slur wearing Ralph Lauren clothes and a Titleist hat. He also plays their clubs and has the staff bag.
If I’m Titleist I’m not happy seeing that on social media.
Does Justin Thomas being a top 5 player make his apology more sincere? Is it worth it to a publically traded corporation like Acushnet to keep him on staff?
That’s up to Titleist to decide.

That’s entirely my point I outlined above. Because the media has written about a hundred articles about the outrage of social media these companies have no choice but to terminate the contracts. So regardless of any apology, or donation, or fine, or training, or advocacy he does nothing will satisfy the media’s desire for him to lose everything possible besides his tour card. And if you are a company that doesn’t drop him that apparently makes you homophobic. This is the exact thing I outlined in my post above. We are literally on our way to living a black mirror episode.

Back