Justin Thomas thread

you don't have to convince me or change my mind...I am playing devils advocate here. Either your offended by anything that offends people or your not...cant pick and choose.

Hahaha have a nice day, dude.

We've all played in groups where we've heard slurs towards minorities and gays. In the past I thought it was pretty innocent and funny on occasion. But as I'm getting to be an old man I'm seeing that in many parts of this country things are not getting that much better for these disenfranchised subgroups, and that the use of derogatory words plays a big role in reinforcing stereotypes.
I would add that it seems pretty naive to think you can get away with using that word these days in a public setting, regardless of whether it was mic'ed. Mark Knopfler took a lot of heat for using it in the song, Money For Nothing, decades ago even when it was used as a reference to what the store clerk said. Word has been out on the use of that F word for quite a while really. Perhaps it speaks to the insular world these characters, the golf pro's, live in and the downside of being so devoted to your swing that the rest of life passes you by.

That’s entirely my point I outlined above. Because the media has written about a hundred articles about the outrage of social media these companies have no choice but to terminate the contracts. So regardless of any apology, or donation, or fine, or training, or advocacy he does nothing will satisfy the media’s desire for him to lose everything possible besides his tour card. And if you are a company that doesn’t drop him that apparently makes you homophobic. This is the exact thing I outlined in my post above. We are literally on our way to living a black mirror episode.
I get what you’re saying, I really do. A part of me agrees with it, but guess what?
In a world where social media platforms allow companies to pay a golfer like Thomas millions of dollars to wear certain clothes and play certain clubs, comes a responsibility to not act or say things which are offensive to many people.
Is that an unfair burden? I don’t think so, I’d sign up for it in an instant.
Is it unfair that his comment was picked up by a mic? Yeah
Is it unfair he’s being vilified for it? I’m of the opinion that once you sign those type of deals, if you’re not smart enough to behave the way you KNOW you should, it’s nobodys fault but your own for what ensues.

It's not like they went and took the $40m net worth he has. He is paid to wear clothes on TV and not embarrass a brand. Pretty sure plenty of people are capable of doing that even fully mic'ed up

I get what you’re saying, I really do. A part of me agrees with it, but guess what?
In a world where social media platforms allow companies to pay a golfer like Thomas millions of dollars to wear certain clothes and play certain clubs, comes a responsibility to not act or say things which are offensive to many people.
Is that an unfair burden? I don’t think so, I’d sign up for it in an instant.
Is it unfair that his comment was picked up by a mic? Yeah
Is it unfair he’s being vilified for it? I’m of the opinion that once you sign those type of deals, if you’re not smart enough to behave the way you KNOW you should, it’s nobodys fault but your own for what ensues.

I will say we are in agreement that as a public figure like you just gotta know you can’t say it and have to be better. He could have avoided all of this by just controlling himself which is why i don’t feel super bad. And I also agree that social media is part of what’s made him so much money in the first place so it’s a two way street.

just a scary scary precedent some instances.

It's not like they went and took the $40m net worth he has. He is paid to wear clothes on TV and not embarrass a brand. Pretty sure plenty of people are capable of doing that even fully mic'ed up
Exactly.
Very well said.
Not the toughest gig in the world, just have enough sense not to use words that everyone with half a brain finds offensive and the checks will roll in.

Nicely stated.

Maybe he was calling himself one of these, readily available in the UK.....
View attachment 8988632
I know this is a serious subject, just trying to lighten things up briefly.

Although I'm from the UK and of course know of faggots I just love that they're made by Mr Brain and the picture looks like it has two cooked brains with gravy on top.

The time when a simple apology has sufficed is long past. It seems that when someone makes a mistake and says or does something to offend someone, there is a video of it that will spread throughout the media. Some people will not be satisfied unless the culprit is unduly and overly punished.
Why isn't a simple "I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I realize it was wrong and will try to not let it happen again" be acceptable?
The old parable about people with no sins "throwing the first stone" comes to my mind.
Just my 2 cents.

The time when a simple apology has sufficed is long past. It seems that when someone makes a mistake and says or does something to offend someone, there is a video of it that will spread throughout the media. Some people will not be satisfied unless the culprit is unduly and overly punished.
Why isn't a simple "I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I realize it was wrong and will try to not let it happen again" be acceptable?
The old parable about people with no sins "throwing the first stone" comes to my mind.
Just my 2 cents.
1. "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" isn't an apology in any way, shape, or form. That's self-legitimization of his own behavior if anything.
2. What most people is changed behavior. An apology without actually changed behavior is just manipulation, that applies to almost any situation.

Hopefully he changes behavior. He seemed to know this was an issue a year ago, and this still happened. But maybe this creates more motivation for him to actually "be better" like he said himself.

I think this has a lot to do with the brand he wears. Ralph Lauren has always been a very LGBTQ friendly brand. They win awards from them on their hiring practices. It's part of who they are. It would be insincere for them to ignore this. He made a mistake. He still gets to play golf and another brand will pick him up. Titleist won't drop him and they may even step in and put him in Footjoy clothing. I doubt he goes without a sponsor for long. No reason to get bent out of shape about this.

Words are powerful. Words start wars. Words lead to the human slaughter. Words alienate. Words depress, uplift, and cause basically every other human emotion/reaction possible.

Some words, like “f****t” are slurs that have been used to demean an entire segment of our population—people who often faced violence just for being who they are. So, no, you shouldn’t call yourself “f****t,” especially when intending to insult yourself.

JT knows he messed up. I believe he sincerely feels bad. Sensitivity training or self reflection will simply allow him to explore whether he has hate in his heart or this was a random mistake.
genuinely curious.. Does this perspective apply to ANY word that demeans a segment of the population for you?

Is ginger okay? Would you expect RL to drop JT if he called himself a ginger instead of the hard F?

genuinely curious.. Does this perspective apply to ANY word that demeans a segment of the population for you?

Is ginger okay? Would you expect RL to drop JT if he called himself a ginger instead of the hard F?
Or how about "Hit it with your purse!", "Nice shot Alice", "I hit that like a girl!", etc.? Those could be construed by the overly sensitive as derisive slurs toward women. And since context and/or using words in a humorous way don't excuse slurs to some people, I can't see where those would be considered acceptable by those people either.

If one goes through their life desperately searching for things to be offended by, it's not hard to find them.

1. "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" isn't an apology in any way, shape, or form. That's self-legitimization of his own behavior if anything.
2. What most people is changed behavior. An apology without actually changed behavior is just manipulation, that applies to almost any situation.

Hopefully he changes behavior. He seemed to know this was an issue a year ago, and this still happened. But maybe this creates more motivation for him to actually "be better" like he said himself.

What did he do a year ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or how about "Hit it with your purse!", "Nice shot Alice", "I hit that like a girl!", etc.? Those could be construed by the overly sensitive as derisive slurs toward women. And since context and/or using words in a humorous way don't excuse slurs to some people, I can't see where those would be considered acceptable by those people either.

If one goes through their life desperately searching for things to be offended by, it's not hard to find them.

Some people are just looking for ways to be offended. I’d be curious if there is a single gay person on here that was genuinely offended by the comment he made to himself? Obviously he shouldn’t have said it but was anyone really offended?

Golf Channel talking about it again today. The media just loves to fan the flames and watch things burn. Let it ****ing go already, it's over. What's done is done, he's not even playing this weekend and hasn't done anything since to bring it back to the forefront. Stop pouring gasoline on the fire.

What did he do a year ago?

There was a long discussion regarding his refusal to wear a mic for play. The entire thing was basically that he knew he would say something offensive like this. Most people called this smart on his part, but my opinion was that if he knows he has an issue like this, shouldn't he be working to fix it?

There was a long discussion regarding his refusal to wear a mic for play. The entire thing was basically that he knew he would say something offensive like this. Most people called this smart on his part, but my opinion was that if he knows he has an issue like this, shouldn't he be working to fix it?
He admitted he "knew he would say something offensive like this"?

He admitted he "knew he would say something offensive like this"?
“I mean, as close as those mics are on the tees and the greens and as close as I get to boom mics during competition anyway, I basically feel like I am mic’d up,” Thomas continued. “I can’t say some stuff that I usually say anyway.”

Can't the guy just be flawed and left alone? he is not in church he is golfing, the mics need to go away and none of this BS will be a problem. He most likely already has more money than he can ever spend and can buy whatever clothes he likes, so tell all the sponsors to piss off and just win golf tournaments.

I had to play it back 3 times to even understand what he said. I think it’s a big assumption to make he would say “something offensive like this”. I wouldn’t want to wear a mic either. I guess some people are more easily offended than others.

Back