Justin Thomas thread

I really don't think you have to look very far to understand the 'why' here.

"We are proud to announce that Ralph Lauren Corporation has scored 100% on the 2020 Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index, earning the designation of Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality"

/GoogleSearch
Good for them.
It also gives credibility to the decision they made this week. It’s obviously something they take seriously.

Probably right. I don’t have any of either brand. I guess time will tell how JT does and what brand he wears. I suspect he will be at or near the top when all is said and done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I don’t think anyone here thinks Justin’s game will suffer because of this.
His endorsement portfolio will probably take a hit though. Unless Titleist throws him a Footjoy bone here, I think he’s pretty toxic in the fashion world right now.

Yeah, I get that. Trust me, I’m not the guy to buy into any corporation acting holier than thou, especially one who out sources their manufacturing.
I’m not naive to the fact that they’re in the business of making money first and foremost.
That said, a lot of these companies do give back to causes they believe in.
Whether I agree with their political views, or the causes they support, or how I feel about them outsourcing, I think they have every right to decide when and if they want to end a endorsement contract with an athlete or celebrity.
I absolutely agree that it's their right. And I absolutely expect this from corporate America, having tolerated it for nearly two decades now myself. These companies would fire their own mother if it put themselves in a better light. Money over commitment to employees, or in this case sponsored players.

I still believe they could have done more by working with JT instead of against him ("hey Justin we'd like to retain you, but we'd also ask that you spend some of your time meeting with some RL employees who can share their stories with you to better understand the impact of that word today - so that you may support the continued shift in verbal culture moving forward as a leader in sports.") - but that's my personal perspective as to how I'd want to be treated after making any version of a mistake. If the attachment is that shallow, I'd pursue a sponsorship that is more solid.

...and yes of course that's a pipe dream in 2021.

I don’t think anyone here thinks Justin’s game will suffer because of this.
His endorsement portfolio will probably take a hit though. Unless Titleist throws him a Footjoy bone here, I think he’s pretty toxic in the fashion world right now.
I'd be surprised if he got signed quickly as well.

That in mind, I doubt he's in a hurry with nearly 40 million in career earnings to his name. He's probably in a place where it's whatever.

This is a cynical question, but I’m going to pose it anyway:

Who picks up an apparel sponsor first, JT or Captain A?

...Whether I agree with their political views, or the causes they support, or how I feel about them outsourcing, I think they have every right to decide when and if they want to end a endorsement contract with an athlete or celebrity.
I agree, they absolutely do - as does any company. But consumers also have the right to react to the company’s views/actions according to their own beliefs - and speak out about it and vote with their wallet if they so choose.

Sign with Puma and donate 200k to a non profit of Tisha Alyn's choosing. Have a couple conversations with people to gain a better worldview and put out some statement along those lines. That would create a lot of positive PR. And he'd have a lot better wardrobe as well. Win-win-win

Sign with Puma and donate 200k to a non profit of Tisha Alyn's choosing. Have a couple conversations with people to gain a better worldview and put out some statement along those lines. That would create a lot of positive PR. And he'd have a lot better wardrobe as well. Win-win-win

Play great golf and make every apparel manufacturer wish they had their name on your shirt every time you win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree, they absolutely do - as does any company. But consumers also have the right to react to the company’s views/actions according to their own beliefs - and speak out about it and vote with their wallet if they so choose.
Yes, but here’s the rub.
Any person who would consider boycotting Ralph Lauren for dropping a spokesman who uttered that word on tv probably isn’t the fashion forward guy buying a lot of high end clothing.
The Lauren brand is kind of iconic. A few annoyed golf fans aren’t affecting their bottom line.

Play great golf and make every apparel manufacturer wish they had their name on your shirt every time you win.

...and in the meantime, wear no-brand clothing with nobody’s logos on it. If they don’t want to sponsor you, don’t give them free advertising.

This is a cynical question, but I’m going to pose it anyway:

Who picks up an apparel sponsor first, JT or Captain A?
what's funny about this?

I knew who "Captain A" was but it wasn't the "A" I thought of lmao (a***hole :ROFLMAO:)

...and hope that company thinks you’ll be worth the baggage associated with having you wear them.

what's funny about this?

I knew who "Captain A" was but it wasn't the "A" I thought of lmao (a***hole :ROFLMAO:)
I didn’t think I was saying it was funny. I leave it at Captain A and let the people come to their own conclusions. It’s an interesting situation having two of the highest profile players in the world, albeit each with their own baggage, as free agents.

I didn’t think I was saying it was funny. I leave it at Captain A and let the people come to their own conclusions. It’s an interesting situation having two of the highest profile players in the world, albeit each with their own baggage, as free agents.
And it’s sad that people would even think to mention JT in the same breath as Reed, or consider their “baggage” as anywhere near equal.

And it’s sad that people would even think to mention JT in the same breath as Reed, or consider their “baggage” as anywhere near equal.
I didn’t mean to compare baggage, but I think they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as high profile players. And Reed gets a ton of airtime overseas (which incidentally saw him in a similar sticky situation as JT 5 or so years ago).

This is an interesting conversation you and I are having, but I while I think he will probably go the generic route, that won’t help him at all.
You have to realize that Justin Thomas is a multimillion dollar corporation himself. His brand is taking a hit here, and rather than take a “I’ll show them” approach, he needs to mend fences and work on restoring his damaged brand right now.

I absolutely agree that it's their right. And I absolutely expect this from corporate America, having tolerated it for nearly two decades now myself. These companies would fire their own mother if it put themselves in a better light. Money over commitment to employees, or in this case sponsored players.

I still believe they could have done more by working with JT instead of against him ("hey Justin we'd like to retain you, but we'd also ask that you spend some of your time meeting with some RL employees who can share their stories with you to better understand the impact of that word today - so that you may support the continued shift in verbal culture moving forward as a leader in sports.") - but that's my personal perspective as to how I'd want to be treated after making any version of a mistake. If the attachment is that shallow, I'd pursue a sponsorship that is more solid.

...and yes of course that's a pipe dream in 2021.

This is exactly what many asked for. A little engagement & some sensitivity training would have gone a long way to make this situation better.

Last edited:
Isn’t this the same sensitivity training some had mentioned previously?

This is exactly what many asked for. A little engagement & some sensitivity training would have gone a long way to make this situation better.
That's not my perspective on sensitivity "training" but if it is, then I definitely understand where people are coming from (assuming he would want to continue his relationship with RL).

Isn’t this the same sensitivity training some had mentioned previously?

For an employee, I’d agree.
For a highly paid spokesman, I think they did the right thing. Just cut bait.
Sorry, but with big bucks comes big responsibility. It’s just not a good look right now for them having him seen wearing their logo on tv 4x a week.

That's not my perspective on sensitivity "training" but if it is, then I definitely understand where people are coming from (assuming he would want to continue his relationship with RL).

how is this not sensitivity training?

but we'd also ask that you spend some of your time meeting with some RL employees who can share their stories with you to better understand the impact of that word today - so that you may support the continued shift in verbal culture moving forward as a leader in sports.")

I’ll admit I haven’t sat through any sensitivity training, but I’d imagine the bolded above is how those conversations are framed.

I didn’t mean to compare baggage, but I think they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as high profile players. And Reed gets a ton of airtime overseas (which incidentally saw him in a similar sticky situation as JT 5 or so years ago).

There a completely logical reason why JT’s “baggage” is probably more significant than anything Reed did. It happened last Saturday. For many the recency effect is most important. Many people other than golf fans likely have no idea what Reed’s alleged “baggage “ is.

Back