Justin Thomas thread

That's not my perspective on sensitivity "training" but if it is, then I definitely understand where people are coming from (assuming he would want to continue his relationship with RL).
Why is training in quotation marks? It's fake?

I think if I was JT and RL came back to me and said, we’ll reinstate your clothing contract but first of all you have to go through some sensitivity training, my response would be nah, you’re ok thanks.

I think if I was JT and RL came back to me and said, we’ll reinstate your clothing contract but first of all you have to go through some sensitivity training, my response would be nah, you’re ok thanks.
Yeah, you’ll show them, lol.

Interesting. Mine would be, that sounds great. I'd love my multi-million dollar contract back and I've already expressed that I'm truly sorry. So if I have to do a little training to get it done, so be it.

To recap, basically there’s some list of words that have been certified “offensive” and JT said one so now he’s bad and has to self reflect and be better and whatnot. What’s still unclear is who made this list and what other words are on it, but I feel we’re getting there.
As far as I can tell, you either have all the rights or none of them. If you have all the rights, JT can say what he wants and people have the right to react as they want, including RL. I’m not saying what RL did was right or wrong, but they get to decide. The internet makes some weird hills to die on.

how is this not sensitivity training?

but we'd also ask that you spend some of your time meeting with some RL employees who can share their stories with you to better understand the impact of that word today - so that you may support the continued shift in verbal culture moving forward as a leader in sports.")

I’ll admit I haven’t sat through any sensitivity training, but I’d imagine the bolded above is how those conversations are framed.
I think of 'training' in the workplace and it includes horribly constructed slides or sliders in a controlled "no effing crap" scenario being laid out in front of you.

The idea of engaging with others and listening to stories to support a sponsor is a TOTALLY different perspective - at least from where I am sitting.

Why is training in quotation marks? It's fake?
I was emphasizing the word because it clearly means something different to me having sat through countless hours of 'training' in the workplace that was a waste of time and not at all engaging, where nothing was learned that already wasn't obvious.

...and hope that company thinks you’ll be worth the baggage associated with having you wear them.

I don't see Justin Thomas as a baggage person. He made a (single) mistake. He said something he shouldn't have.

The hypocrisy of this modern culture unbearable at times. If any one person can stand up a say that they haven't said or done something they should not have, let them start throwing stones. While cancel culture continues to maximize mistakes of people, it fails to actually cause growth. Justin was sorry before he knew of any punishments or consequences.

I don't think either Justin will have any issues finding a new clothing sponsor. I don't see RLX becoming any bigger or smaller in the golfing industry. I hope that this world can get back to the days of owning up to our mistakes and then allowing for growth and change.

In the world where JT already apologized and sounded sincere, that’s the out cone you come to? Bold stance!

I was emphasizing the word because it clearly means something different to me having sat through countless hours of 'training' in the workplace that was a waste of time and not at all engaging, where nothing was learned that already wasn't obvious.
I guess I get it. I've sat through a ton of corporate training that I thought was worthless too. But that doesn't mean all training is worthless. And when you put the word in quotes, that's what you're suggesting - that it's not real. It's not training; it's "training." But I think the quote @mikeg_74 posted above is a perfect example. That's very much sensitivity training that is not in the vein of the worthless corporate stereotype.

I think of 'training' in the workplace and it includes horribly constructed slides or sliders in a controlled "no effing crap" scenario being laid out in front of you.

The idea of engaging with others and listening to stories to support a sponsor is a TOTALLY different perspective - at least from where I am sitting.

makes sense. More of a sensitivity discussion/round table than your traditional workplace training.

I guess I get it. I've sat through a ton of corporate training that I thought was worthless too. But that doesn't mean all training is worthless. And when you put the word in quotes, that's what you're suggesting - that it's not real. It's not training; it's "training." But I think the quote @mikeg_74 posted above is a perfect example. That's very much sensitivity training that is not in the vein of the worthless corporate stereotype.
See, I don't see it the same way. I don't consider that training, I consider that action and engagement. Being 'trained' to me means something different.

...and considering it's my quote that Mike quoted, it sounds like we're on the same page with only text being the differentiator, which i think is great this far into the discussion.

In the world where JT already apologized and sounded sincere, that’s the out cone you come to? Bold stance!

Yep. If I was in his shoes, I think it’s safe to say I wouldn’t need the money. I would apologize unreservedly, which he has done, and if that didn’t suffice, so be it. He’s been caught, he’s taking some decent heat, I’m pretty sure he’s learnt his lesson. I’m giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and thinking he isn’t a raving homophobe.

Yep. If I was in his shoes, I think it’s safe to say I wouldn’t need the money. I would apologize unreservedly, which he is done, and if that didn’t suffice, so be it. I’m giving the guy the benefit of the doubt and thinking he isn’t a raving homophobe.
I have no doubt he isn’t a homophobic person and I have no doubt it was a mistake. But I’m not sure what turning down an opportunity for self growth and brand management does for you. Either way, doesn’t matter really.

...and in the meantime, wear no-brand clothing with nobody’s logos on it. If they don’t want to sponsor you, don’t give them free advertising.

Or buy RL and change it to JT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an interesting conversation you and I are having, but I while I think he will probably go the generic route, that won’t help him at all.
You have to realize that Justin Thomas is a multimillion dollar corporation himself. His brand is taking a hit here, and rather than take a “I’ll show them” approach, he needs to mend fences and work on restoring his damaged brand right now.

Maybe. Or...he could just realize he has more money than he can ever spend now and just play golf while telling all the brands to go F themselves. I don’t condone what he did but does he really “need” a sponsor?

how is this not sensitivity training?

but we'd also ask that you spend some of your time meeting with some RL employees who can share their stories with you to better understand the impact of that word today - so that you may support the continued shift in verbal culture moving forward as a leader in sports.")

I’ll admit I haven’t sat through any sensitivity training, but I’d imagine the bolded above is how those conversations are framed.

I have and it’s a joke. Pandering to people who get their feelings hurt and think their entitled to something special because of their sex, race, or who they choose to sleep with.

See, I don't see it the same way. I don't consider that training, I consider that action and engagement. Being 'trained' to me means something different.

...and considering it's my quote that Mike quoted, it sounds like we're on the same page with only text being the differentiator, which i think is great this far into the discussion.

Ok. I guess it's all semantics. Things that corporate suggests that are valuable are action and engagement. Things they suggest that aren't are training.

I have and it’s a joke. Pandering to people who get their feelings hurt and think their entitled to something special because of their sex, race, or who they choose to sleep with.

Again I haven’t been exposed to any of that in my workplace so I find it difficult to understand how it’s pandering.

makes sense. More of a sensitivity discussion/round table than your traditional workplace training.
In the variety of words we could choose, hell yeah. "You want to be a part of this brand, and represent us, you need to come and learn who we are."

I'd have zero issues with them doing that. I probably wouldn't even be bothered if they did it publicly, considering what he (whether intentional or not) did publicly. Gives me (and hopefully everyone) less of a 'you don't understand us' vibe that aggravates the hell out of me, and more of a 'please come and grow personally with us'

Ok. I guess it's all semantics. Things that corporate suggests that are valuable are action and engagement. Things they suggest that aren't are training.
Depends on how many "directors" are out there shuffling the deck.

Corporate America is funny. :ROFLMAO:

Depends on how many "directors" are out there shuffling the deck.

Corporate America is funny. :ROFLMAO:
This is true. Can't argue with that at all.

Interesting. Mine would be, that sounds great. I'd love my multi-million dollar contract back and I've already expressed that I'm truly sorry. So if I have to do a little training to get it done, so be it.
If it was Dave in accounts, I think you’d be right. An athlete competing at the top of his sport, that doesn’t need the money, and will probably have clothing sponsors beating down his door in a couple of months sitting through this, not so sure
C4E81686-6B06-4CFD-ABFB-08DE24A3BAD1.jpeg

Most of those people just want to not be murdered or otherwise abused because of those things. But everyone is free to choose whether to be decent or be a Richard.

Most of those people just want to not be murdered or otherwise abused because of those things. But everyone is free to choose whether to be decent or be a Richard.
I would hope that in 2021, the idea that "most" of those people feeling that way is incredibly unrealistic. I feel fortunate to live in a time where differences are welcomed the way they are, better than any other era when respect is mutual.

Back