Justin Thomas thread

I would hope that in 2021, the idea that "most" of those people feeling that way is incredibly unrealistic. I feel fortunate to live in a time where differences are welcomed the way they are, better than any other era when respect is mutual.
I'm not sure I get what you mean. My point is that those people he listed regarding race, gender, sexuality--most of them aren't looking to be treated specially, but rather treated as regular people.

Most of those people just want to not be murdered or otherwise abused because of those things. But everyone is free to choose whether to be decent or be a Richard.

Didn’t notice any of those in the training I went to. I did notice a lot of people who thought they should be placed ahead of any others competing for advancement because of their sex, race, or sexual preference. Just as JT has to tee it up among all players, skill and ability should determine who wins. Who’s Richard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not sure I get what you mean. My point is that those people he listed regarding race, gender, sexuality--most of them aren't looking to be treated specially, but rather treated as regular people.
I don't think either of us are qualified to put a quantity on the number of people feeling one way or the other.

With that in mind, I think for the sanity of the argument, "treated like normal people" sounds a hell of a lot better (and easier to agree with) over "don't want to be murdered or otherwise abused" as it sounds very extreme. Also, if we're making that disinction, I think it's universal and not limited to sexual preference.

Didn’t notice any of those in the training I went to. I did notice a lot of people who thought they should be placed ahead of any others competing for advancement because of their sex, race, or sexual preference. Just as JT has to tee it up among all players, skill and ability should determine who wins. Who’s Richard?
richard is a joke on THP. Basically, don't be a "dick" :ROFLMAO:

I'm hoping we can avoid the diversion of discussion to experiences in the workplace, though. I'm not sure it's on topic, and I definitely don't think it has anything to do with JT.

I have and it’s a joke. Pandering to people who get their feelings hurt and think their entitled to something special because of their sex, race, or who they choose to sleep with.

I’d be willing to bet every dollar I own this was the exact attitude you went into those training sessions with.

I don't think either of us are qualified to put a quantity on the number of people feeling one way or the other.

With that in mind, I think for the sanity of the argument, "treated like normal people" sounds a hell of a lot better (and easier to agree with) over "don't want to be murdered or otherwise abused" as it sounds very extreme. Also, if we're making that disinction, I think it's universal and not limited to sexual preference.
Treated like a normal person does sound better, but the other is absolutely a valid fear many have that I will never experience firsthand. I think reducing valid concerns because they sound bad just serves for continuation of the issue. I used to think this was all overblown like many are suggesting, but the more I've become educated on the actual way many people experience life has really helped me understand better.

Treated like a normal person does sound better, but the other is absolutely a valid fear many have that I will never experience firsthand. I think reducing valid concerns because they sound bad just serves for continuation of the issue. I used to think this was all overblown like many here are suggesting, but the more I've become educated on the actual way many people experience life has really helped me understand better.
I still don't think it is reasonable, regardless of what you read, to claim something like "many" - We have no idea whether that experience is many, some, a few, etc. We know it exists, because people suck, but these are things that actively trigger defensive stances in return. Of course it's a valid fear for people (I almost typed "some" but I think even that is unfair).

Having a scope on the right thing to do is personal. It's not a reflection of the root issue (if JT used the term against someone it would be a totally different discussion I bet), but a reflection on what people believe, based on their life experience, to be a reasonable reaction. I don't personally see anything wrong with that.

Reactions: JB
I’d be willing to bet every dollar I own this was the exact attitude you went into those training sessions with.

You’re on. Please put the cash in PayPal escrow. Let me know how much. Do you think all athletes/employees etc should compete based on skills and abilities or should some be given special consideration? I think all are equal and no one is entitled to special treatment. May the best man/woman/other win. Do you think training would change anything JT feels or doesn’t feel about gay people or would it just satisfy some sponsor or others?

I still don't think it is reasonable, regardless of what you read, to claim something like "many" - We have no idea whether that experience is many, some, a few, etc. We know it exists, because people suck, but these are things that actively trigger defensive stances in return. Of course it's a valid fear for people (I almost typed "some" but I think even that is unfair).

Having a scope on the right thing to do is personal. It's not a reflection of the root issue (if JT used the term against someone it would be a totally different discussion I bet), but a reflection on what people believe, based on their life experience, to be a reasonable reaction. I don't personally see anything wrong with that.
I think this topic has reached a natural conclusion, but I just want to note, we can learn a ton by listening to people, actual humans, actual groups of people, and has been wildly eye opening to privileged white males like me.

I think this topic has reached a natural conclusion, but I just want to note, we can learn a ton by listening to people, actual humans, actual groups of people, and has been wildly eye opening to privileged white males like me.

Just curious, what college did you go to and what was your major? Do you think JT uttered the word to himself shows that he hates gay people?

You’re on. Please put the cash in PayPal escrow. Let me know how much. Do you think all athletes/employees etc should compete based on skills and abilities or should some be given special consideration? I think all are equal and no one is entitled to special treatment. May the best man/woman/other win. Do you think training would change anything JT feels or doesn’t feel about gay people or would it just satisfy some sponsor or others?

I don’t know about JT, but I think I know enough right now to say that no amount of sensitivity training is going to change the way you feel.
You have it all figured out.

Just curious, what college did you go to and what was your major? Do you think JT uttered the word to himself shows that he hates gay people?

Maybe you should just stop now?
You’re not coming off well here. Trust me.
Unless some of these posts get deleted by the site, you’re going to feel very embarrassed in the morning.

This is an interesting game, I imagine you think I was indoctrinated by liberal colleges, so I’ll play along.

University of Arizona, Systems Engineering undergrad, Civil Engineering masters. And I took zero Gen Eds during my time, so virtually all my classes were 95% male and most of them 90% white.

Mind sharing what your expectation or assumption was?

I don’t know about JT, but I think I know enough right now to say that no amount of sensitivity training is going to change the way you feel.
You have it all figured out.

Does that mean you’re not betting me every dollar you own? Speaking of sensitivity and tolerance, is it ok if I have my opinion? I respect yours and haven’t told you how you feel.

This is an interesting game, I imagine you think I was indoctrinated by liberal colleges, so I’ll play along.

University of Arizona, Systems Engineering undergrad, Civil Engineering masters. And I took zero Gen Eds during my time, so virtually all my classes were 95% male and most of them 90% white.

Mind sharing what your expectation or assumption was?

If you say so.

Well said.

I can't believe it took 28 pages for someone to finally say "privileged white male". Now this is twitter.

Last edited:
Alright my friends.

Let's stop the direct stuff. Let's stop taking this down a twitter'esque path. Please don't make me shut it down.
You’ve been great through this.
This thread was excellent. A lot of different viewpoints from a lot of different people talking about a very interesting topic.
I appreciate that we were allowed to have it.
Thank you.

I really appreciate you guys keeping it civil.

There are certain topics that just won't be touched on THP. If you feel the need to have them, either take it to PMs, or find another place to go full send, like any of the socials. The next comment we have that flows in that direction, I'm going to have to lock the thread down until tomorrow. It sucks, but we simply aren't going there.

My take on JT's word choice on the spur of the moment, was that he did something unnatural to him. Why else would he say it?

Deflecting JT's misadventure to the hypocrisy of corporate America or the cancel culture seems a little too dismissive IMO only. He said it, he owns it. And on top of it all, he probably could care less if a guy likes other guys.

Self awareness is extremely important when marketing yourself in todays sports environment. JT knows that sports has become the new hot bed a social activism and politics, so it surprises me is that his handlers/team/agents./friends haven't reigned him in beforehand. If he's doing this in public, then we know that it must be happening out of habit during casual rounds as well. His friends/agents/marketers weren't savvy enough to catch this?

I love the guy, and I hope this "slap on side the head" doesn't go too much further.

Maybe you should just stop now?
You’re not coming off well here. Trust me.
Unless some of these posts get deleted by the site, you’re going to feel very embarrassed in the morning.

It’s morning and I still have the same opinion. Don’t feel embarrassed either. Gonna play golf later and and then watch the Sony Open. I wish that JT and some of the other big names had stuck around Hawaii to play in this one. I’m sure the guys in my group might utter a few expletives today when I take their money but I’ll try not to get offended. I’ve grown up in a world where people take the words of others with a grain of salt and forgive people when they make a mistake. Hadn’t thought about it until just now but I wonder what, if any effect his mistake last week will have on his Draft Kings value in his next tournament. Could be a good value to pick and win a few bucks since you wouldn’t bet me every dollar you own. Have a great Sunday.

It’s morning and I still have the same opinion. Don’t feel embarrassed either. Gonna play golf later and and then watch the Sony Open. I wish that JT and some of the other big names had stuck around Hawaii to play in this one. I’m sure the guys in my group might utter a few expletives today when I take their money but I’ll try not to get offended. I’ve grown up in a world where people take the words of others with a grain of salt and forgive people when they make a mistake. Hadn’t thought about it until just now but I wonder what, if any effect his mistake last week will have on his Draft Kings value in his next tournament. Could be a good value to pick and win a few bucks since you wouldn’t bet me every dollar you own. Have a great Sunday.

I play with a group mainly consisting of retired fouled mouthed Marines and Sailors, but we are off by ourselves and bother no one.

JT is on the world stage of golf that is supposed to be inclusive to all.

Big difference.

I play with a group mainly consisting of retired fouled mouthed Marines and Sailors, but we are off by ourselves and bother no one.

JT is on the world stage of golf that is supposed to be inclusive to all.

Big difference.

Yep. He’s made 1 documented mistake and I think he’s learned from it. Time will tell I suppose. He’s good to go as far as I’m concerned. I suspect a lot of tour pros utter a few expletives when the cameras aren’t on. Kind of sucks in my opinion they have to act like choirboys when the mics are on.

Back