Justin Thomas thread

yeah, mostly that.

But also that I don't have to limit my perspective, no I can attack more than one 'issue' - and of course there's room at the end of every post here to say that only an idiot would use that word in 2021 (or I suppose beyond puberty when they learn what it represents lol).

So I’ll admit - this was a common word in my social circle vocabulary growing up in the South (hell, my school books had the N word printed in them in elementary school - absolutely wtf crazy). It lasted until high school, when we had a friend who was openly out. It is a difficult situation especially when picked up by a live mike. JT I think played it right, there’s probably a lot out there losing their collective mind over it.

So I’ll admit - this was a common word in my social circle vocabulary growing up in the South (hell, my school books had the N word printed in them in elementary school - absolutely wtf crazy). It lasted until high school, when we had a friend who was openly out. It is a difficult situation especially when picked up by a live mike. JT I think played it right, there’s probably a lot out there losing their collective mind over it.
maybe that's why I am sympathetic to JT for it. I've heard it probably thousands of times in my lifetime. I've used it plenty (in my youth) before I knew what it represented. I've never used it in the context of negativity toward someone who is gay (and am glad of that). I also used to use the R word to describe things that were stupid, until I learned what that one meant.

If I can forgive myself, I can forgive JT. Had he used it negatively toward a gay person, I'd have a much different perspective. That's hate.

I still think the issue that remains for JT is why would he say this word. I think he understands that he should not say it.

I hope another wardrobe sponsor picks him up and he tells RL to go pound sand if they try to revisit it later. RL also goes on my “don’t buy” list along with Nike.

PGA needs to be open about fines like other leagues.

If the PGA announced a hefty fine, something about donating it towards courses related to the issue, etc.
Does RL still move away from JT for the immediate future?

i don't know the answer, but I'm confused why the PGA continues to protect players who simply just mess up rather it be a slur, a swear, a club throw.

I wouldn't be surprised if RL is just saving face, but I give it a bit more than a year until they re sponsor him. Enoughctime for people to forget even more

Us polo Assoc. Should sponsor him with their knock off RL emblem haha

I hope another wardrobe sponsor picks him up and he tells RL to go pound sand if they try to revisit it later. RL also goes on my “don’t buy” list along with Nike.
I get the frustration, but I genuinely don't believe they had a choice based on what I've read and their connections to the community.

I am not surprised, yet sort of baffled at how badly he's been put on blast for this - like some sort of sensitivity training is going to save him. He used a word that, growing up, was pretty damn common around school kids in both Canada and the US for me, straight into college, beyond college, and continues pretty much every year. I'd be shocked if more than 10% of the people reading this thread haven't used it in the way he has at some time or another. I'd bet most were just using a word that was defined as 'negative' not one that references a sexual preference.

Not using those words is a choice. For pros, a pretty damn good choice. I get that in a split second, in the moment, you pick a word you don't want to be called, and call yourself it. He picked the wrong one 100% in this case, and he owned it (as he damn well should have).

But come on. All this cancel culture BS is taking things like this waaaaay too far.

PGA needs to be open about fines like other leagues.

If the PGA announced a hefty fine, something about donating it towards courses related to the issue, etc.
Does RL still move away from JT for the immediate future?

i don't know the answer, but I'm confused why the PGA continues to protect players who simply just mess up rather it be a slur, a swear, a club throw.
Are they protecting them? They are exposing their mumbles to millions of people on air, and to social thereafter.

That should be inexcusable to allow something like that to be broadcasted openly like that. Safeguards need to be in place.

Are they protecting them? They are exposing their mumbles to millions of people on air, and to social thereafter.

That should be inexcusable to allow something like that to be broadcasted openly like that. Safeguards need to be in place.

....they air out zero dirty laundry. I'm not saying other leagues are perfect at it, but at least they announce when a player is being fined or suspended and why. Kobe was fined 100k for exactly what JT said. They PGA has been silent on the topic and has already moved on to the next tournament. What did they do? Put out a statement saying it was unacceptable. Great. Their PR is awful.

Players are aware of the mics, I have a hard time agreeing with ya on this one, Dan. It falls on the player to be aware, not the PGA or Golf Channel, IMO.

Completely inexcusable. There are good reasons they don't mic up other sports. The PGA Tour should learn from this and follow suit. If they don't, the players should take it upon themselves to just clam up. No words on the course, and "no comment" any time they're interviewed. Or play the "sponsor game" - anytime they're asked a question, respond with "I'd just like to say that my Titleist ProV balls provided exceptional performance today", or "Yeah, my Cleveland wedges really helped my short game and I was comfortable out there in the weather in my Travis Matthew apparel" - noncommittal generic pablum.

I still think the issue that remains for JT is why would he say this word. I think he understands that he should not say it.
It's an issue of the past at this point.. I don't think he's about to say it again :ROFLMAO:

I think he knew before he said it that he should not say it.
I think that's probably why this is the first time in nearly a decade where he's been captured saying it.
I think he's as surprised as we were that he was caught saying it.

Completely inexcusable. There are good reasons they don't mic up other sports. The PGA Tour should learn from this and follow suit.

Wait, did I miss where JT was mic'd up directly?

All sports have on field/ice mics.

....they air out zero dirty laundry. I'm not saying other leagues are perfect at it, but at least they announce when a player is being fined or suspended and why. Kobe was fined 100k for exactly what JT said. They PGA has been silent on the topic and has already moved on to the next tournament. What did they do? Put out a statement saying it was unacceptable. Great. Their PR is awful.

Players are aware of the mics, I have a hard time agreeing with ya on this one, Dan. It falls on the player to be aware, not the PGA or Golf Channel, IMO.
I cannot fathom how this doesn't fall on both parties.

Absolutely no question, players should be held accountable for their verbal explosions (regardless of the level of vulgarity or insensitive wordplay)... But you cannot tell me you think the Tour or the broadcast aren't at fault for allowing that kind of speech to be aired... and that includes any vulgarity, frankly.

I'd say being able to capture something someone said that no one around him would be able to hear is comfortably defined as "mic'ed up"

It was a mumble at best.

Not jammed up players' butts like golf does. And when another sport (such as the NFL) mics players up, they're put on delay and/or heavily censored.

I cannot fathom how this doesn't fall on both parties.

Absolutely no question, players should be held accountable for their verbal explosions (regardless of the level of vulgarity or insensitive wordplay)... But you cannot tell me you think the Tour or the broadcast aren't at fault for allowing that kind of speech to be aired... and that includes any vulgarity, frankly.

I've already said I don't see why they don't have a tape delay for this, but I can't get behind removing mics all together.

I'd say being able to capture something someone said that no one around him would be able to hear is comfortably defined as "mic'ed up"

It was a mumble at best.

So, everyone is mic'd up. Seems everyone should be aware of it then haha.

Not jammed up players' butts like golf does. And when another sport (such as the NFL) mics players up, they're put on delay and/or heavily censored.

I already mentioned like 5 pages ago that tape delay would be an easy solution.

I guess I see "jamming them up their butts" as a bit of an exaggeration.

I've already said I don't see why they don't have a tape delay for this, but I can't get behind removing mics all together.

So, everyone is mic'd up. Seems everyone should be aware of it then haha.
I'm good with tape delay. What difference does 10 seconds make so we stop promoting vulgarity to all viewers?

I'm good with tape delay. What difference does 10 seconds make so we stop promoting vulgarity to all viewers?

It seems to be the easy middle ground. They already show 90% of everything on tape delay from commercials, might as well just delay the live stuff 5-10 seconds as well.

JT screwed up, owned it and apologized. Ralph Lauren has every right to associate (or not) with whomever they want.

But it always annoys me when a company (which is just a collection of imperfect people) feigns moral perfection, and acts accordingly.

JT to Ping and Vineyard Vines, the most likely sceneioro would be FJ

Last edited:
Just saw this. Not terribly surprising but interesting that they left the door open to partner with him again. Think they are just doing a temporary distancing here?

I thought it was a bit arrogant. “Hope he does the hard and necessary work to partner with us again.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back