JW Smoove's 2022 Quest to break 80 - a big ask?

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
I apologize in advance for this long post and I will try over the coming year to update this thread I make improvement - maybe I am biting off more than I can chew - after all only resumed playing this game again in 2021 (after about a 2 year hiatus - I did play 1 or 2 rounds in 19 and 20 - but it was not fun, so put it all away).

The background: In Feb 2020, I was told I was boarder line diabetic (60 years old) and 308 lbs. I had had a hip replacement in 2018 - and had not really played a lot since. I certainly never walked. So, in Feb 2021 (when I joined this site), I basically rediscovered golf - lost most of the weight I had wanted to lose as well. Graduated from the nutritionist in April 2021 about 95 lbs to the good (today, it's 90 - but Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and now a hernia). So only 5 lbs (I'll take it).

In March/April 21, I win the opportunity to be a member of Team Vosh for the Mizuno Experience - so I really start playing - and it was not great, so, bought and sold a lot of clubs, was high 90s to low 100s - by July was lowish 90s. And by the time I put the clubs away for 21- I had had about 15 rounds in the high 80s with 85 (I think being my best). This year, with the new equipment (another thread) and the new lesson plan (another thread) I can see - or at least realistically (maybe?) try to break 80 a feat I have never done before.

Before the diet scare and hip replacement I hit 7 iron about 150-155 and driver about 250 (but it could go anywhere). After the weight lost and new hip (not in that order), I was getting maybe 130 and 220. With the irons (and faster ball speeds - it's real and spectacular), I was getting maybe 135 and driver still around 220-230 (after the club I was fit into this past Monday).

Today first lesson, 7 iron was 146 to 161, and I was able to get it to 147 at home, with the Rapsodo as the tool to measure at home.

Over the next 11+ months, I will have a hernia operation (Feb 1) work on my exercise routine, have a few more lessons (at least) and start playing again this season - with a bag that has all new irons from 5-pw and maybe gw, a new driver (that may be what I was fit into or the new Rogue or ST-Z 220 - which I will demo in about 4 weeks (if not before the surgery), to validate what I got Monday or order the replacement.

I will try to update this thread as things go along, there may well be some lapses in posts to this thread, or maybe some short (you'll prefer that I am sure) updates on the game, or health, etc. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask, I am doing this (at least in my mind) to maybe/hopefully? show other old guys - that you can do it, be it diet, or exercise, or improve your game, or prep for surgery - whatever. I am an open book, so here's hoping I can stay with it, and can help at least 1 other member along the way.

To you the members, this game, this site, the few I have had the pleasure to meet, golf, break bread, converse with - you are all what what make this place special and the game just that much enjoyable. To @JB and @GolferGal and all the writers - all I can do is offer you my most sincere thanks. And, thanks in advance for coming along for the ride.

Last edited:
You got it dude! Sounds like you're committing to it, I think your plan is good and cracking 80 once in the year seems like an attainable goal to me. Good luck and win or lose, I'm sure you'll enjoy the chase!

You got it dude! Sounds like you're committing to it, I think your plan is good and cracking 80 once in the year seems like an attainable goal to me. Good luck and win or lose, I'm sure you'll enjoy the chase!
It's a goal. If I can do what I learn and keep my brain out of the way, then maybe!

Nice! Get to getting it done bro!!

You will get it done, no doubt

It sounds to me like you've got the foundation in place and just need some reps. Breaking 80 is an awesome goal, and as long as you keep making small improvements it is entirely possible and I am sure you will get it done.

I'm sure you will, but keep us posted on your progress, victories or setbacks large or small.

No doubt you will hit your goal. it is a great feeling the first time you break 80. Keep up the hard work and don’t get discouraged.

💯 you will get it done!

Ain't nothin to it might as well do it.

Yessir! You got this 🤛.

You're motivated. Just do it.:nike:

Good for you, you can do it.

Stick with it. You will get there. I was so close to breaking 80 last year with an 81. It is a goal of mine to break 80 and shoot some scores below 80 this year. It takes a lot of focus, work, and determination. If it doesn't happen, the world won't end, but the journey will be worth it. Stay motivated and keep pressing toward the goals.

Best of luck and keep us updated! It's inspiring to see what folks can accomplish when they really dedicate themselves to improvement.

Sounds like a great goal and plan to get it. Good luck 👊🏻

Awesome thread @JW Smoove . Good luck with your quest, you've got this!

i love the commitment! no triples. no 3 putts. no penalties off the tee. you got this!

I apologize in advance for this long post and I will try over the coming year to update this thread I make improvement - maybe I am biting off more than I can chew - after all only resumed playing this game again in 2021 (after about a 2 year hiatus - I did play 1 or 2 rounds in 19 and 20 - but it was not fun, so put it all away).

The background: In Feb 2020, I was told I was boarder line diabetic (60 years old) and 308 lbs. I had had a hip replacement in 2018 - and had not really played a lot since. I certainly never walked. So, in Feb 2021 (when I joined this site), I basically rediscovered golf - lost most of the weight I had wanted to lose as well. Graduated from the nutritionist in April 2021 about 95 lbs to the good (today, it's 90 - but Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and now a hernia). So only 5 lbs (I'll take it).

In March/April 21, I win the opportunity to be a member of Team Vosh for the Mizuno Experience - so I really start playing - and it was not great, so, bought and sold a lot of clubs, was high 90s to low 100s - by July was lowish 90s. And by the time I put the clubs away for 21- I had had about 15 rounds in the high 80s with 85 (I think being my best). This year, with the new equipment (another thread) and the new lesson plan (another thread) I can see - or at least realistically (maybe?) try to break 80 a feat I have never done before.

Before the diet scare and hip replacement I hit 7 iron about 150-155 and driver about 250 (but it could go anywhere). After the weight lost and new hip (not in that order), I was getting maybe 130 and 220. With the irons (and faster ball speeds - it's real and spectacular), I was getting maybe 135 and driver still around 220-230 (after the club I was fit into this past Monday).

Today first lesson, 7 iron was 146 to 16, and I was able to get it to 147 at home, with the Rapsodo as the tool to measure at home.

Over the next 11+ months, I will have a hernia operation (Feb 1) work on my exercise routine, have a few more lessons (at least) and start playing again this season - with a bag that has all new irons from 5-pw and maybe gw, a new driver (that may be what I was fit into or the new Rogue or ST-Z 220 - which I will demo in about 4 weeks (if not before the surgery), to validate what I got Monday or order the replacement.

I will try to update this thread as things go along, there may well be some lapses in posts to this thread, or maybe some short (you'll prefer that I am sure) updates on the game, or health, etc. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask, I am doing this (at least in my mind) to maybe/hopefully? show other old guys - that you can do it, be it diet, or exercise, or improve your game, or prep for surgery - whatever. I am an open book, so here's hoping I can stay with it, and can help at least 1 other member along the way.

To you the members, this game, this site, the few I have had the pleasure to meet, golf, break bread, converse with - you are all what what make this place special and the game just that much enjoyable. To @JB and @GolferGal and all the writers - all I can do is offer you my most sincere thanks. And, thanks in advance for coming along for the ride.

Good for you pards and I wish you the best.

About a year and a half ago, a fellow dump truck driver asked me to take him golfing with me to see if he liked it. I thought the cart was going to tip over the first time he sat on the passenger side. He is 5'10 and and weighed 365 ponds the time with a bad knee and a diabetic to boot. 25 years of sitting in a truck and eating junk. Well anyways, he road along in the cart the first time out, and the second time out I let him play in from the hundred yard markers. He was instantly addicted to being outdoors again so I assembled a 1/2 set of older clubs for him play with.

Fast forward to 2022? He's really taken to the game and being outdoors. He's is down to about 275 pounds, and walks the 4 hole loop at the course near his house a couple times a week. His goal for now is to get to the point where he can walk a full 9 holes and keep score for the challenge.

Good for you pards and I wish you the best.

About a year and a half ago, a fellow dump truck driver asked me to take him golfing with me to see if he liked it. I thought the cart was going to tip over the first time he sat on the passenger side. He is 5'10 and and weighed 365 ponds the time with a bad knee and a diabetic to boot. 25 years of sitting in a truck and eating junk. Well anyways, he road along in the cart the first time out, and the second time out I let him play in from the hundred yard markers. He was instantly addicted to being outdoors again so I assembled a 1/2 set of older clubs for him play with.

Fast forward to 2022? He's really taken to the game and being outdoors. He's is down to about 275 pounds, and walks the 4 hole loop at the course near his house a couple times a week. His goal for now is to get to the point where he can walk a full 9 holes and keep score for the challenge.
Awesome - I walk nearly all my rounds now, if the course will allow me to or it's not a scramble or if my friends are walking (I usually go out and get matched up, but if I go out with a friend (rare), I will ride if they do (or my daughter who just likes riding - regulation courses not the par 3 that we play). So, with the electric push cart waling is an absolute pleasure, and I think it helps with pace of play, focus and more.

Best of luck, and I know you can do it.

You’ve got the game for it. Best of luck and can’t wait to be along for the ride. Plus look at the surgery as a way to get that short game tight. Up and downs can save a card.

Yes, I got tired of all the pops the former Jaws2000 was getting at THP-Mizuno. I had no game at the time. o_O He played better than me. Props, or is that pops, to JW. :unsure:

This will be a piece of cake for him.:)

Have not been here since before surgery.

Update #1. Hernia is in the rearview, I have resumed full workouts - though lighter weight and I run slower and not as far - building back up.
I am still hitting balls in the basement - but seem to have built up some new flaws.
Had lesson #2 and it did not go well, I have a casting issue - with a tip from @Desmond and a cheap anticast thingy that you attach to the grip I am working through this.

Have a bag that is realllllly close to being set (driver shaft battle forthcoming). I don't think I have had a bag of all new stuff - ever (technically I don't now either), I am 1 club short of all new 2022 equipment (my mind is blown - truly - I need to thank @Vosh68 @JB @GolferGal and the whole of THP (writers/staffers) and membes for all the posts and tips.

Once the casting issue is done, and the shaft battle complete (by end of next week I hope) I will work on lesson #1s draw some more - it was working really well pre-surgery. I will likely not play actual golf until early April - too much going on, but will update for those interested (and those not - ha), as things move on.

Stay well, play well, laugh lots, drink when the laughs don't work?

Back