Kananaskis - Mt. Kidd Course

Tedfroop

One eyed and left handed
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 10.8
I guess I said I was going to do all these so:

Kananaskis was once a beautiful piece of Alberta mostly untouched by humans. There was a nice road, a few campgrounds and that was about it. When Calgary applied for the '88 Winter Olympics part of the plan was to move the downhill ski events to a new venue, which turned out to be Nakiska, 45 min. from Calgary.

During planning a gentleman named Keith Alexander figured out that if a ski resort was to be built and survive they needed year round attractions, so that accommodation could be built and could survive. To that end he started talking to the Alberta Government who at the time were swimming in oil and natural gas revenue. He got a few people excited about the project and brought the Alberta Golf Association into the project. Things really took shape when he brought Robert Trent Jones Sr. out to look at the proposed site. After declaring it was "a gift from heaven" RTJ said why only one course when there is room for two? So now there are two Provincially owned and run golf courses at Kananaskis.

If you have a chance to golf any of the Stanley Thompson courses you will immediately notice a distinct similarity between Robert Trent Jones architecture and Stanley Thompson's as Robert Trent Jones was Stanley Thompson's protege.

Mt Kidd Course
Mens
Gold Tees: 7072 yards 73.2 / 140
Blue Tees: 6573 yards 71 / 138
White Tees: 6036 yds 68.7/ 128
Ladies
White Tees 74.0 / 143
Red Tees: 5529 yards 71.2 /136

Green fees are (don't fall over) $98 for non residents, $78 for residents.

Warming up: Range is free for 30 min before you start. There are also 4 practice greens available.
Golf%20Vacation%20004.JPG

Mt. Kidd and hole 1 is to the left. They spotted a grizzly bear somewhere around the course that morning. Thats why you come in if they blow the horn even if ther is no thunder or rain.
Golf%20Vacation%20006.JPG

Unless you are a huge hitter try going around to the left. The bunker complexes are huge and they stand up enough that if you try playing forward, all you do is end up in the next one... (don't ask how I know.)
Golf%20Vacation%20007.JPG

Gotta hit it off the tee. This golf course really tightens up in the landing areas.
Golf%20Vacation%20011.JPG

Whats everyone looking at? Three golfers, a wife, and the girl doing the pro shop challenge. Bet up to a limit and if you hit the green they give you double the amount in pro shop gift certificates. (I'm the one in the bright white hat, blue pants.)

Golf%20Vacation%20012.JPG

Oh, that... Hole 4. The hotel is up on top of the ridge you can see behind the left half of the green.
Golf%20Vacation%20013.JPG

At the corner of #10:
Golf%20Vacation%20018.JPG

Thieving Squirrels: The girl in the snack shack said they regularly make off with anything they can carry, especially muffins. I asked my wife to take pictures of the golf course and what do I get, pictures of rodents.
Golf%20Vacation%20027.JPG

#17 Big surprise but there is sand everywhere. Stood in this tee box once looking at the flag hanging limp as a dishrag. There was no wind on the tee box either. Hit it up right at the flag only to land about 30 yards right of the green. Now I go down and check for wind in between..
Golf%20Vacation%20031.JPG

#18 Just when you think you are done.... 642/576/553 yard par 5 uphill. Oh, and there are only 12 massive bunkers you could end up in.
Golf%20Vacation%20033.JPG

Phenomenal golf course. The best part is there is another one next door!

If you are coming let me know. I will use any available excuse to get out here to golf...

Next, Mt Lorette Course
Golf%20Vacation%20078.JPG

Beautiful course. I grew up not far from Edmonton and lived in Calgary for a few years. Love the Kananaskis area.

Back