ChipShot4

Reaction score
Handicap
The wife and I are headed to Kauai in two weeks for vacation. We are staying in Poipu so I would like to play in the general area. Poipu Bay golf course is on the list already but any recommendations on a second course would be great. Thanks!

The only other course I played when we were there was Princeville at Hanalei Bay. Other side of the island but nice CHALLENGING courses. The Prince course is the tough one and will beat you up. Just exhausting (physically and mentally) but definitely an experience. The scenary is beautiful and worth it. The Maiki is the other course and is a little easier. Can't go wrong with either one. Don't let my experience scare you. You have to play the Prince. If you have time, play Maiki.

Let us know how it goes and post pics. I miss Hanalei Bay. Oh yeah, after playing Princeville, stop by the town of Hanalei and see the pier.

In Poipu, go to Puka Dog. It's in the mall area. Also look up Oki Diner. It's our favorite local diner and its reasonably priced.

Gosh I miss Kauai....

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you both for all the info. I'll definitely look into the courses you mentioned as well as the other places. I'll also be sure to update this post after we return. Thanks again!

Played the Prince Course and it was definitely a different golf experience. I have attached a picture from the tee on 12. The fairway is at least 10 stories below. The Mikai course was being refurbished while I was there but after walking it, it didn't look much different than nice courses you see on the mainland.

Have fun in Kauai!View attachment 5010

Man have fun in Kauai man. I got married there and have wanted to go back ever since. I didn't golf then but when I go back I certainly will.

Poipu Bay is awesome. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency there when we went back in 2001. I didnt get to play anywhere else but didnt really have a desire to after playing Poipu Bay.

have a great time while you're there!!

Puakea, Kauai lagoons and Kiahuna are good. I prefer puakea and Kauai lagoons over Kiahuna. Puakea is a little more scenic. There's also a local 9 hole corse that's fun. The ball rolls forever. A plantation owner built it for his workers.

Just played the Marriott Kauai Lagoons, yesterday. Got a great deal on a tee time via ezlinks.com ($57), and club rentals after noon are $35 (your choice of a set of R11's or RBZ's, and includes two sleeves of RBZ's). I fell in love with the RBZ 3-hybrid by the end of the day.

There are three nines, but there are really only two nines put into regular play (the Kiele Mauka and Kiele Moana). The first nine is pretty open with red sand/dirt bunkers and two holes that require hitting over a jungle filled ravine. The back nine is where the magic really begins, with some tighter fairways and bunkers filled with soft white sand. The back nine also has 5 or 6 holes that play along the ocean cliffs,including their signature over the water par 3. We found the greens on the back nine to be a little faster than the front.

http://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsit..._lagoons/module_PDFs/KauiLagoonsMap030112.pdf

The trade winds come into play throughout the course, with a lot of either cross breeze or into the wind shots. Overall the course was in great shape. Our best guy shot 90. There was a junior tourney over the weekend where the 15-18 winner shot a 78-78 from the same distance we played. Yikes!

The back nine wanders through the ruins of what was the Westin Kauai Lagoons property, and what was going to be the Ritz Carlton Club Kauai, and up against the landing runway of the airport. All is forgiven with the views of the ocean and mountains.

My two best shots were on par 3's where I miraculously put the ball to about 12 feet on two occasion's before 2 putting (including the Kiele Moana 5th hole with the 3 hybrid). When I get back to a computer I'll upload a couple of pix.

Last edited:
Always wanted to play the Lagoons. Will have to make it a point next time I'm there. Thanks for the review and i look forward to the pics.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

IMG_2927.jpg
View of the 4th green at Kiele Moana. The two balls in the foreground are my father's and brother in law's. My shot hit the green and rolled off a bit further.

IMG_2930.jpg
View from the teebox of the 5th hole on Kiele Moana. A forced carry over water, with Nawiliwili Harbor in the background. This is the signature hole of the course. The tees are just to the left of the bottom of the stairs.

IMG_2931.jpg
View looking back from the 5th green on Kiele Moana, my teeshot just lying in the first cut of the green. Just for grins, I tried to re-create the shot, and I pulled it into the ocean (of course).

Just as a heads up, when I was using Golfshot GPS on iPhone, it had incorrect hole info for the Kiele Moana 9. I contacted Golfshot, provided the latest scorecard, and received a response a couple of days later that they had updated their info for that course.

Last edited:
Back