KBS One Step Putter Shaft

Would any pro shops or retail stores have stability shafts installed in putters that I could roll in-store or is it more of a club champion specialty type thing?
Outside of a trade in, probably not.

So tipping this shaft (or not) appropriately seems to be the key to how it will play. Interesting. Guess you only have one chance to get the tipping right the first time (unless you add an extension on the second go).
Looks really interesting. Will be curious to see any uptake on tour.

Looks good.

What is the minimum head weight that would see an improvement with this shaft?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you spend some time with it.
None, will be effective in older putters as well as the modern head weights to my knowledge.

Noticed on their website that this shaft only comes in 0.370 tip diameter. Will an experienced club builder be able to get that into a 0.355 tip diameter for a Scotty? No idea how that works or if it’s possible.

So tipping this shaft (or not) appropriately seems to be the key to how it will play. Interesting. Guess you only have one chance to get the tipping right the first time (unless you add an extension on the second go).
Looks really interesting. Will be curious to see any uptake on tour.

That is exactly why I asked the question above about tipping. I have a note into KBS on how to tip, we'll see what they say. Listening the video, it sounds like you tip till it feels like you want. But as you point out, you only get one shot. Or you're removing the grip and adding extensions. I play my putters at 33". At $85 shipped, I would prefer to get it right the first time!!

None, will be effective in older putters as well as the modern head weights to my knowledge.
Nice. Thanks for the clarification.

Hmm, can I actually commit to just one putter?:unsure:

8032E00B-75AC-43D3-8EBA-95A96968485F.jpeg

I have to say, if you’ve read my reviews on the Kinetixx and Stability as well as Stability Tour putter shafts, this one for me has that similar “I can’t explain it, but man it’s stable” sensation and feedback to it. I’ve got another here that’s the most stable I have EVER seen, but bang for buck this is something interesting. Wish they would put out more info as far as potentially tipping goes, but it is what it is.

I also believe being straight shaft only is going to limit them, and that’s the place that Stability still has an advantage over these and graphite.

@Jman For those THPer's pondering this shaft. Is it "plug and play"? By that I mean, if you like your putter's weighting/balance can you just install this shaft with your current grip or would you need to go to a heavier or lighter grip?

@Jman For those THPer's pondering this shaft. Is it "plug and play"? By that I mean, if you like your putter's weighting/balance can you just install this shaft with your current grip or would you need to go to a heavier or lighter grip?
Wish I could say for certain. The info from KBS at this point is quite vague. That said, I’ve got a heavier grip on it and plugged it in no issues in stability at all.

Sooooo....

Its been interesting working with the OneStep at the same time as the new KINETIXX Tuned Zero TRQ putter shaft.

Anyone whose read my stuff over the years knows I’m not big on comparisons of new products and would rather them get a chance to stand on their own, but in the new world of putter shafts it’s worth touching on.

It’s not a traditional look but I’m a big fan of the look of this compared to the Stability. The location of the taper (even if we don’t have any legit tipping info, or verification, which could effect that) works well on the eyes and it’s not abstract like the OG stability specifically was, it even looks more “normal” than the Stability Tour.

As for feel? It’s absolutely more connected and stable feeling in the stroke than stock steel. But, compared to the KINETIXX and Stability, I would say it’s the least “stout” of the three. That said, as I’ve mentioned in every putter shaft review I’ve ever done it’s hard to put the feeling into words for you all, it’s something that has to be tried.

The absolutes I know are this, the price will make it attractive compared to other options...for now...as something else might be lurking out there... and it combined with the Mizuno M.Craft V has been an amazing amalgamation of feel, performance, and looks...and I’m not left wanting in any measurable way.

Do you all have any questions? I’m here to talk shop!

Very interesting... Putter shaft tech is coming!!!

Very interesting... Putter shaft tech is coming!!!
It’s an interesting realm. I think price is key though, and whoever comes up with quantifiable performance at the lowest cost is going to win the race. KBS has a strong one here, I would install it in another putter which is as much praise as I can give, but there might be something else lurking too.👀

but there might be something else lurking too.👀

There are participants of the Ben Hogan / UST Experience that have a putter with one of those lurkers... 👀

Had @JB reach out to KBS for some clarification to the OneStep as it pertains to all the tipping talk.

Their reply:

It is pretty much straight in. It can be tipped up to 1” but that’s recommended for heads over 350g and over 35”.

Last edited:
I've been fascinated by the fresh look at putter shafts going on the last few years. I think it makes sense there is plenty of improvement out there especially as head weight has increased, BUT i've always been hesitant to experiment due to the entry cost of these shafts! This is a big step making this more available for the public.

I've been fascinated by the fresh look at putter shafts going on the last few years. I think it makes sense there is plenty of improvement out there especially as head weight has increased, BUT i've always been hesitant to experiment due to the entry cost of these shafts! This is a big step making this more available for the public.
Definitely agree that this and something else coming later on from another are going to create competition in the segment.

I have to say, this one is good. I’m not sensing or feeling like I’m missing anything compared to my Stability shafts which until recently have imo been the most complete putter shafts out there.

It helps a lot here that the taper isn’t obscene and it doesn’t look un-natural at setup, plus, 3 color choices are cool.

I’d try their ct putter shaft at 34.99 before that. Lol. Funny not sure a superstroke would fit in that fatty. Taking butt end there not calling anyone out hahaha.

But the ct putter shaft has me wanting the black one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d try their ct putter shaft at 34.99 before that. Lol. Funny not sure a superstroke would fit in that fatty. Taking butt end there not calling anyone out hahaha.

But the ct putter shaft has me wanting the black one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All standard putter grips fit it. It’s not oversized, it simply tapers in a different location at a more drastic rate.

Also, I have no problem saying it’s more stable and better feeling overall than the CT I’ve used a ton as well.

Have to say, I like this one a lot.

While I don’t have the ability to provide data on the stability, I do know I can relate it in feel to others I’ve used. Of the Stability, new Kinetixx, and this, I do think this one is the most “traditional” in feel. By that I mean it’s stable, but it’s not a feel that makes me go “oh wow” like the Stability Tour and Kinetixx do.

Biggest thing for me also remains the price. It’s ultra competitive for the current market, and that’s pretty smart by KBS to weave their way in there.

Have to say, I like this one a lot.

While I don’t have the ability to provide data on the stability, I do know I can relate it in feel to others I’ve used. Of the Stability, new Kinetixx, and this, I do think this one is the most “traditional” in feel. By that I mean it’s stable, but it’s not a feel that makes me go “oh wow” like the Stability Tour and Kinetixx do.

The biggest thing for me also remains the price. It’s ultra competitive for the current market, and that’s pretty smart by KBS to weave their way in there.

I appreciate all the info. I have a CT Tour shaft in a Toulon putter and, after yesterday's install, also in two of my Odyssey putters. I love the feel of the CT over a stock shaft, so today, I ordered a One-Step and will install it in one of the putters that I have a duplicate of so I can do a direct comparison. I could easily see myself becoming a putter shaft snob if I keep trying all these new shaft options, lol.

I assume that taking the label off the shaft was reasonably simple ???

Not sure why anyone would keep the label on but YMMV.
I made sure to put the label ON.

Can’t see it from address. (y);)

I’d like to try one of these in one of my Scotty Cameron putters but it seems the shaft only comes in a 0.370 tip diameter. Would most experienced club builders be able to ream that tip to fit into a 0.355 Scotty Cameron tip? Is that even possible?

Back