KBS PGI Players Graphite Iron

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New graphite from KBS called PGI.

KBS calls it steel like performance with the same dispersion and control one has come to expect.
Weights range from 50-100g

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 1.31.55 PM.png

I am NOT going to let my new SteelFibers see me looking at these shafts ...

sounds like an interesting offer for a hybrid.

wonder how this compares to the TGI they had before

I wonder how these compare to Recoils????
Maybe a THP Studio shaft v shaft????

• Admin
I wonder how these compare to Recoils????
Maybe a THP Studio shaft v shaft????
We will have some Tech Studio content coming on these shafts very soon.

• Admin
50BA86C6-85BC-4504-BE7C-B72CB195BFD0.jpeg

Interesting, but these seem light to truly be called a "players iron" shaft.. I think on the whole most even some of the very best are going lighter. But this seems to be a bridge too far.. Plus, only offered in .370 tip? Are these just hybrid/driving iron shafts?

Last edited:
Interesting, but these seem light to truly be called a "players iron" shaft.. I think on the whole most even some of the very best are going lighter. But this seems to be a bridge too far.. Plus, only offered in .370 tip? Are these just hybrid shafts?
The 370 to 355 thing is easily recitified pretty easily by a competent builder though.

I think having a range up to 100G is a pretty solid offering for the vast majority of golfers out there. I'd be curious to give these a swing. for sure.

The 370 to 355 thing is easily recitified pretty easily by a competent builder though.

I understand that. But should it need to be? I cant think of many irons in the "players category" that are .370. Seems like most if not all have gone taper tip.

Maybe I am just completely misunderstanding this release.. It could be a name thing that is throwing me off.

EDIT.. There is this from the website as well. So this makes a bit more sense. Taper tip coming soon..

The KBS PGI was designed by Director of R & D and master shaft maker Kim Braly and is built for ANYONE to be fit into a steel like PERFORMANCE graphite shaft that will provide the same optimal tight tolerances, dispersion and control as the KBS Tour Steel Shaft, just at a lighter weight and easier to swing shaft. The maximum playability for all golfers from beginners and mid handicappers to tour professionals culminates in a shaft that will provide unmatched shot making and control for the first time in a graphite iron product. The KBS PGI will be offered in Parallel Tip options initially, with Taper Tip options later in 2021, and weights ranging in 10gram increments from 50grams to 100grams with coinciding differentiating flex patterns

The KBS PGI will be offered in Parallel Tip options initially, with Taper Tip options later in 2021
Is there a difference in performance between parallel and taper tip shafts?

I am not 100% sure as to performance honestly. I think so but I would be lying if I said I knew for sure. I think it is mainly a way of more accurately install and fit shafts.

I am not a builder but if I understand it correctly, parallel you trim both the tip and the butt section to maintain flex and weight. Taper tip shafts you typically just trim the but section to length.

I do know you mainly see parallel tipped shafts in your more entry level lower priced club offerings, your mavriks, sims, etc.. That has nothing to do with quality. It is just a norm I have seen.

Taper tip will interest me (y)

Interesting... Can't wait to see how it compares to the Recoil line.

I am not 100% sure as to performance honestly. I think so but I would be lying if I said I knew for sure. I think it is mainly a way of more accurately install and fit shafts.

I am not a builder but if I understand it correctly, parallel you trim both the tip and the butt section to maintain flex and weight. Taper tip shafts you typically just trim the but section to length.

I do know you mainly see parallel tipped shafts in your more entry level lower priced club offerings, your mavriks, sims, etc.. That has nothing to do with quality. It is just a norm I have seen.

Component clubs are almost always parallel tip also.

Most times a parallel tip is one shaft cut to fit a club, so more weight in a 4 iron less in a pitching wedge. Taper tip is usually constant weight so that all the shafts weigh the same so a W shaft weighs the same 100 grams as the 4 iron vs parallel which could be 80 in a W and 100 in the 4 generically speaking. Kinetixx does make constant weight parallels though so not 100% dead set rule.

We will have some Tech Studio content coming on these shafts very soon.
I can't wait to hear how these perform and feel. Interested to see numbers versus the MMT shafts

I can't wait to hear how these perform and feel. Interested to see numbers versus the MMT shafts
I’ll be shocked if they’re as stout as the MMT

I’ll be shocked if they’re as stout as the MMT

I know this is a threadjack but how do the MMT's compare to the Steelfiber? I seem to recall you aren't a Steelfiber fan.

Many will look at the weights on these and say no thanks...... I was fit into the TGIs at Club Champion and thought my fitter was crazy. I was going from 110 Gram shafts to 90 Gram shafts. I dont know what the technical way of describing it is, but they feel heavier during the swing and it didnt take that much to get adjusted. My dispersion was cut in half and gained about 8 yards on average per club. If this offering is anything like those, I would look past the weight and try them out

I know this is a threadjack but how do the MMT's compare to the Steelfiber? I seem to recall you aren't a Steelfiber fan.
Not to take us too much off course with this one but the MMTs for me were between the recoil protos and the steelfiber shafts in stoutness and a little closer to the steelfiber. They are stout but with good feel for me

Infinitely better feeling imo, but I don’t care at all for how harsh the SF always are for me. But, the MMT are equally as stout imo.

Infinitely better feeling imo, but I don’t care at all for how harsh the SF always are for me. But, the MMT are equally as stout imo.

I like the stability of the SF but they are a bit harsh. While that doesn't really bother me I found the Recoils (non proto) to not be as stable. I would be interested in something as stable that feels better.

New graphite from KBS called PGI.

KBS calls it steel like performance with the same dispersion and control one has come to expect.
Weights range from 50-100g

View attachment 9013934
They don’t look like they’re made of precious metals. I thought they would be for the price!

Back