KBS Tour - Black Nickel vs Custom Series

mhuelsman131

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking into building my next set of irons over the winter and was wondering if anybody had a comparison of the finishes on the KBS Black Nickel and the Custom Series black pearl. I've read that the black nickel wears a bit, but have not seen any reviews of how the custom series holds up. Trying to figure out if its worth the extra $100 or so to pick up the customs over the black nickels.

I'm already slightly leaning towards the customs as the shaft labels are heat transferred on rather than stickers. The labels on my current KBS tours are getting a little raggedy after just one season.

Any pictures would help as well!

I'm looking into building my next set of irons over the winter and was wondering if anybody had a comparison of the finishes on the KBS Black Nickel and the Custom Series black pearl. I've read that the black nickel wears a bit, but have not seen any reviews of how the custom series holds up. Trying to figure out if its worth the extra $100 or so to pick up the customs over the black nickels.

I'm already slightly leaning towards the customs as the shaft labels are heat transferred on rather than stickers. The labels on my current KBS tours are getting a little raggedy after just one season.

Any pictures would help as well!

Can't speak to the pearl other than I liked the look. I have the nickle on my wedges and the only issue thus far I have had was when I had the heads changed. There were a few scratches at the tip.

I cannot comment on the custom but did have a black nickel wedge shaft and it showed some wear after a while...not sure how old it was because it came in a used wedge I bought. Didn't really bother me but you could tell the area spots where had rubbed. I would think the custom would be a bit more durable. Whichever route you go post some pics, especially if you go with the customs!

I've got the Black Nickel in my S56's. There might be some minor wear but I'd say they are holding up fine. I'll give them a look over and try to get some pics up if I see anything that stands out. I replace my own grips and I'd caution when taking off the old grips with a knife - use a proper hook knife so that you don't cut into the nickel finish (it will cut through and possibly peel back if you're not careful).

Never seen the Custom's though... so no comment there.

Back