keeping the left arm straight

AK jr.

d2 college player
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm pretty good at checking fundamentals on the range while im practicing. the one thing i have noticed though is a significant loss of distance over the past 2 years. it should be the opposite because i've grown, gained a lot of muscle, and im a little more developed physically one thing i found is i was quitting at contact instead of swing through the ball. now that i have fixed that issue, i noticed that i do not keep my left arm (im right handed) straight at all through any part of the swing. watching youtube videos of pros shows me one thing: 99% of tour pros keep a straight lead arm. are there any drills or swing thoughts that i could be doing to fix this?

This is the Ask The Pro section. Please leave this thread clean until Andy has a chance to answer the question.

One of the best things to work on here is to get the feel back of where your arms should be at the top. Try what we call an L to L drill. On the back swing take the arms back until your left arm is parallel to the ground and the club is vertical. Stop here and swing to a full finish. Try to get that feel on stopping at that spot when practicing. The reason the feel is so important is when you go to hit a ball you will go past this point but the arms will work to get the same feel of that position. Try it out and let me know how things go.

sounds good. thanks Andy

Back