KellyBo & Gray -- Diary of taking Lessons

Good stuff KB, but I am really concerned about your neck, take care of yourself and listen to the doctor.

Went to my weekly lesson today. We had planned to get out on the course and play but my neck/shoulder is not allowing it right now. On Dr's restriction from playing at least for a few more days until the shot he gave me in shoulder takes hold and will probably have a fusion on my neck in the next few weeks. That will set me back about 10 weeks.

Today's lesson was on chipping since that's all I'm allowed to do right now. Bobby believes in getting the ball rolling asap. We worked on figuring out which clubs give what percentage flight vs. roll. We settled on my PW for about 30% flight and 70% roll and my gap wedge is about 40/60. I will take the time to get more precise through practice with several clubs. We went onto the par 3 course and practiced on several greens and he had me chipping within the 3 foot circle. Basically I would just pace off how far it was to the flag and decide how many paces to throw the ball in the air before letting it roll out. Was pretty exciting to see how easy it was to get the ball close almost every time once you figure out what each club does.

At least I can chip/putt so I will take this down time to sharpen the short game. It's not all bad and I will be feeling so much better when I don't have this pain anymore.

Drill he does:

Take shag bag out and drop 10 balls in several locations off green. Place bag near cup. Chip balls from each spot and then putt them. Goal is to get up and down in two shots or less. If you don't, take the ball(s) you miss and drop them back in the spot you started. Put the ones you made in the bag. Can't leave until you get up and down with all balls.

Nice drill. I will probably borrow this one. I hope the shoulder gets better KellyBo!

Sucks about the shoulder.Nice short game you got there. Keep it up!

I won't be able to play golf until May because of medical issues but my doctor says putt and chip away. Coach says this may just be the best thing that has happened to my game! I'm finally going to seriously practice the important stuff!

I have already been working very hard on my putting after buying a Birdie Ball putting green that I have here in my office. It's only 4' x 9' so I'm basically working on 3-7' putts when I'm home. It's been amazing how much better I am putting already just by practicing so often. Here are some things I've concentrated on:

1. Make sure I'm rolling the ball true. I drew a line on my green using a laser. I use it to square my putter and help roll my ball straight. I've also been putting with a ball colored half/half to make sure it is rolling straight (thanks for the tip Pete).

2. I'm using a metronome to get a smoother tempo. My coach talked to me about this last year but this is the first time I've really worked with it. So far I'm finding 60 bpm to be a good pace for me on the shorter putts. I will experiment more with it on 20 foot putts. I've been communicating with him some through email and he told me to take it out and measure off 20 feet and find the tempo that works best for me. He suggested I start in the mid 60 bpm range. I take the putter back on the first beat and then make contact on the second beat. This has made a HUGE difference!

3. I bought a Seemore FGP Mallet belly putter! I don't know if I will game it or not but it has been great so far on the short putts. I haven't practiced out on the course with it yet but plan to next week. I can tell already that it is taking a lot of the wrist action out of my putts and I'm having a lot less pulls and pushes. I have studied the Seemore method of putting videos and they have been very helpful, especially with the setup information.

I also bought a shag ball tube that holds 14 balls and it fits nicely in my umbrella holder on my bag. I plan to play some games around the course with chipping and putting and actually keep score to make it competitive. I guess every hole will be a par 2 since all I can do is chip from off the green and then putt.

I miss playing but practicing the short stuff is plenty for now. Time to listen to the body and let it rest and heal so that I can get back out there asap.

I like your plan there KellyBo, you should be a short game wizard by time the Outing rolls around, I will be over there in a few days to pick your brain about what you are finding to be absolutes in the short game.

Went to my weekly lesson today. We had planned to get out on the course and play but my neck/shoulder is not allowing it right now. On Dr's restriction from playing at least for a few more days until the shot he gave me in shoulder takes hold and will probably have a fusion on my neck in the next few weeks. That will set me back about 10 weeks.

Today's lesson was on chipping since that's all I'm allowed to do right now. Bobby believes in getting the ball rolling asap. We worked on figuring out which clubs give what percentage flight vs. roll. We settled on my PW for about 30% flight and 70% roll and my gap wedge is about 40/60. I will take the time to get more precise through practice with several clubs. We went onto the par 3 course and practiced on several greens and he had me chipping within the 3 foot circle. Basically I would just pace off how far it was to the flag and decide how many paces to throw the ball in the air before letting it roll out. Was pretty exciting to see how easy it was to get the ball close almost every time once you figure out what each club does.

At least I can chip/putt so I will take this down time to sharpen the short game. It's not all bad and I will be feeling so much better when I don't have this pain anymore.

Drill he does:

Take shag bag out and drop 10 balls in several locations off green. Place bag near cup. Chip balls from each spot and then putt them. Goal is to get up and down in two shots or less. If you don't, take the ball(s) you miss and drop them back in the spot you started. Put the ones you made in the bag. Can't leave until you get up and down with all balls.

KellyBo has rearranged the office so her putting green is perfect :bulgy-eyes:. She will be a one putt wonder after she recovers from her neck surgery. I promise you all that she will be practicing her arse off everyday so you better watch out come May. lol

Kelly will be a force come May.

TapAhoy!

I want to thank Bullfrog for personally assisting KellyBo on her journey to kick my arse :angry:. haha he sent her a bumper rail to go around her birdie ball putting matt. It looks great and now she will be working even harder to take me down :bulgy-eyes:.

Seriously, Thanks to Bullfrog for your generosity :clapp:. He really is a cool dude no matter what Setho says about him :D

Haha guys. Don't let OG fool you, he's been slipping in there practicing his putting too. He's not going down without a fighting chance.

I went to see my instructor today for a short lesson. It's been quite a while since I've seen him but I wanted some help with my iron game. I had a rough start on the range with my 8 iron. He said I was throwing myself around towards my target instead of making the ball my target. He kept saying up and down to the ball, make it simple. By the time I left, I was hitting nice little baby draws with what seemed like no effort. I make this game much harder than it really is sometimes. :)

Sometimes it just takes a little tune-up. Sounds like you're back in the groove, Kelly.

I went to see my instructor today for a short lesson. It's been quite a while since I've seen him but I wanted some help with my iron game. I had a rough start on the range with my 8 iron. He said I was throwing myself around towards my target instead of making the ball my target. He kept saying up and down to the ball, make it simple. By the time I left, I was hitting nice little baby draws with what seemed like no effort. I make this game much harder than it really is sometimes. :)

Ya it's amazing how one or two little adjustments or thoughts will help tremendously when you have a skilled person looking at your swing.

It's been a LONG time since I've had a lesson. We are finally settling down in a new home and at a new course but my game is the pits right now. I've been shooting in the 90's quite regularly and even had a 102 last week. I have shot in the 70s three times this year, twice at courses that were new to me so I know my game is still in there somewhere but I'm struggling with consistency right now.

I saw our head pro for a lesson yesterday. This is the same pro that is giving OG lessons. It was a good lesson and mostly a reminder of all my flaws that have already been pointed out to me by my instructor in Macon. He liked my swing but my body motions are getting me in trouble.

Notes to self:

• Swaying occasionally
  • Get left hand grip stronger (strong right hand grip will cause pulls)
  • Keep club in front of your body (I'm turning too soon and leaving the club behind me) - SWING then TURN (Bobby was always giving me this drill to keep me from turning too soon)
  • Step back and lower hands to extend the club to get more power
  • Clear the hips on the finish - just not too soon!
  • Ball more forward with hybrids (treat even the 6 hybrid as a long iron)

I just stumbled upon this thread. Good stuff! Keep up the good work KB & OG.

Good stuff KB, I know you hit some really good shots yesterday, it is just tough to go from a lesson directly to the course. I was talking with OG and he said this coach is very good, I am excited that you were able to find an excellent replacement for Bobby. It was great seeing you and OG.

A player like you KB will be knockin em' by the pin again very soon , you're to good not to be takin OG to the wood shed. :deadhorse:

Go getcha some 'spec Ole Gray and Kelly Bo. Keep us posted

It's been a LONG time since I've had a lesson. We are finally settling down in a new home and at a new course but my game is the pits right now. I've been shooting in the 90's quite regularly and even had a 102 last week. I have shot in the 70s three times this year, twice at courses that were new to me so I know my game is still in there somewhere but I'm struggling with consistency right now.

I saw our head pro for a lesson yesterday. This is the same pro that is giving OG lessons. It was a good lesson and mostly a reminder of all my flaws that have already been pointed out to me by my instructor in Macon. He liked my swing but my body motions are getting me in trouble.

Notes to self:
  • Swaying occasionally
  • Get left hand grip stronger (strong right hand grip will cause pulls)
  • Keep club in front of your body (I'm turning too soon and leaving the club behind me) - SWING then TURN (Bobby was always giving me this drill to keep me from turning too soon)
  • Step back and lower hands to extend the club to get more power
  • Clear the hips on the finish - just not too soon!
  • Ball more forward with hybrids (treat even the 6 hybrid as a long iron)
A little refresher is always good, keeps those things we need to remember fresh in our minds. Plus it will keep OG on his toes

Another tip the pro gave me was something I've never tried before.

To hit a draw: Lower your hands and extend the club more
To hit a fade: Raise your hands up and extend less

I hit a nice draw with my driver yesterday that rolled out really well using this technique.

Working the ball off the tee is a great skill to have. Good work KB!

Saw Bobby this week and picked up my Ping i20 UW he ordered for me. He spent some time checking the lie on all my clubs and I asked him to help me with my pitch shots. By that time, we only had 15 minutes before his next appointment so I didn't get much but it was interesting what he tried to teach me.

He came out with a wedge that had a putter grip on it. The flat side was turned to the right side instead of the top. He wanted me to take the wedge back with the flat side staying on top (half swing) and staying on top through the finish. Sounded easy enough but not easy at all. I told him it looked like the "old school" swing (as referred to on Golf Channel) he taught Russell Henley. He said "there's nothing wrong with old school." Surprisingly I hit several shots that dropped right near the pin from 40 yards out. Then I started using my wedge and had very mixed results. He told me to practice it because it works well. Man it felt odd.

I need you to show this to me, I am having trouble with all parts of my game right now, but especially the short game.

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

Trying to visualize this. Is he trying to keep you from fanning your blade open on the back swing?

This might help. Bobby has taught me the same thing and I see it in Russell's swing. If you look back in my diary, I was told over and over not to roll the hand back and keep the face square going back.

Last edited:
Back