Old Silo has been in decline for several years now, just a little to far out from Lexington to get the good traffic. The same thing happened to Eagle Trace just up the road in Morehead KY. That was a great course, and very tough, I understand that the University now owns it and it is back in great shape.

I want to go back and play Eagle Trace at some point. I graduated from Morehead State and the course was brand new when I was a student. I didn't start playing until after I got out of college but a friend of mine who played took me there to play for my very first time while we were in school. Now that I have somewhat of an understanding of the game I've love to go back and play.

I want to go back and play Eagle Trace at some point. I graduated from Morehead State and the course was brand new when I was a student. I didn't start playing until after I got out of college but a friend of mine who played took me there to play for my very first time while we were in school. Now that I have somewhat of an understanding of the game I've love to go back and play.

I played it about a month ago, it was in fine shape. Enjoyed it.

I made it out to play Boone's Trace this afternoon and have to say overall it is a nice course. It was my first time playing the course & some of the tee shots require hitting blind shots which makes it tough.

I think it is a tough course...hitting from uneven lies into small greens is pretty tough.

With the bunker renovation are they started with hole #1 and going in order to #18?

Good to hear. I agree on some tee shots being blind. I think one of the last holes moves slightly right in the landing area and I didn't know that when I played the first time. Hit some deep rough on that one. Several greens were pretty tight too.

I have no idea about their schedule for the bunkers. Glad you got out in the perfect weather we had

I lived in Louisville for over 15 years and Nevel Meade was my go to course. It is a links style course and was always in good shape. I have been in Denver for six years, so I do not know what the course looks like now, but I would highly recommend it if you are in the area (if you enjoy links style courses).

Good to hear. I agree on some tee shots being blind. I think one of the last holes moves slightly right in the landing area and I didn't know that when I played the first time. Hit some deep rough on that one. Several greens were pretty tight too.

I have no idea about their schedule for the bunkers. Glad you got out in the perfect weather we had

Hole 5 was really tricky. It is a dogleg right & I couldn't tell how much it turned. I ended up hitting it straight through the fairway into someone's backyard lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I made it out to play Boone's Trace this afternoon and have to say overall it is a nice course. It was my first time playing the course & some of the tee shots require hitting blind shots which makes it tough.

I think it is a tough course...hitting from uneven lies into small greens is pretty tough.

With the bunker renovation are they started with hole #1 and going in order to #18?

Glad you liked our course. I think it is a tough one because of the lies. You can be in the middle of the fairway with a ridiculous lie. This is compounded by someone who has never played here before, it can get tricky with the blind shots. You definitely needed a local to give you the layout. It is sneaky tough for sure.

As far as the bunkers, yes I believe that is what they are doing.

Glad you liked our course. I think it is a tough one because of the lies. You can be in the middle of the fairway with a ridiculous lie.

My guess is the designer just went with the natural terrain of the area to build the fairways. Having a rangefinder that reads elevation defiantely helps with course to Judge distances.

Over the 2 weeks I have played Kearney Hill, Lakeside, Cherry Blossom, The Bull, and Houston Oaks. I have to say that the Lexington area has some amazing golf courses. The courses all have a good amount of elevation changes, dog legs, etc to make them a very fun play that forces you to use every club in the bag. In addition, they all have excellent fairways and smooth rolling greens. Not much to complain about.

When you compare price and quality, this area provides a lot of BANG for the buck for playing golf.

Welcome back to the land of fast women and beautiful horses. Most of the better course have been mentioned. If you just want a casual round go down to Druckers Station. It is right off the interstate before you get to Frankfort. I guess it is a Midway Ky. address. Cheap and causal.

Had a chance to drive North and play Cherry Blossom for the first time this year. Really great course. Wish everyone would fix their own ball marks! Pulled double duty on every green. Course is in great condition otherwise. The last 3 holes have historically torn me to pieces. But Saturday was my day. I'll take even par on those 3 any day. Anybody know of a tougher 3 hole closing stretch in this area? Man they are a grind. If you have a good round going, you really need to keep it together otherwise even one of these 3 could derail your plans...

What's up Kentucky group. Wanted to ask a couple questions to the Lexington area crowd. First let me preface my questions with this: I worked in Northern KY for a few years and during that time the shop I most frequented was the Golf Exchange in Florence. It's a great place that fit my needs and had great guys working there. Loved supporting that group when I could. Now that I live in the Lexington area, I had to leave the Florence shop.

I recently used the Lexington Golf Exchange to help with a warranty issue on some irons. And I've been very disappointed in their support. So much so that I finally gave up trying to clear up my requests and just want my equipment back so I can take care of it myself. Anyone else have issues with this Golf Exchange shop? Really hoped I could support this group but it's not looking good.

Thanks to free market, there's an Edwin Watts right down the road. This place actually reminds me of the Florence GE and I'm about to give them a shot to get the club work done I've been trying to finish. Anyone have experience with the Edwin Watts group? Specifically club building?

What's up Kentucky group. Wanted to ask a couple questions to the Lexington area crowd. First let me preface my questions with this: I worked in Northern KY for a few years and during that time the shop I most frequented was the Golf Exchange in Florence. It's a great place that fit my needs and had great guys working there. Loved supporting that group when I could. Now that I live in the Lexington area, I had to leave the Florence shop.

I recently used the Lexington Golf Exchange to help with a warranty issue on some irons. And I've been very disappointed in their support. So much so that I finally gave up trying to clear up my requests and just want my equipment back so I can take care of it myself. Anyone else have issues with this Golf Exchange shop? Really hoped I could support this group but it's not looking good.

Thanks to free market, there's an Edwin Watts right down the road. This place actually reminds me of the Florence GE and I'm about to give them a shot to get the club work done I've been trying to finish. Anyone have experience with the Edwin Watts group? Specifically club building?

Sorry to hear about your experience with GE. I've shopped there a few times and even traded in some stuff for a new driver at that location and was always treated fairly. I have also frequented the EW and it's a great shop as well. Never had custom club stuff done there but I've bought quite a bit.

Wanted to share my experience with Edwin Watts in Lexington:

So I've had a few club changes that I've been waiting to do that I wanted to get done before vacation. I walk into EW with my Apex UT with a DG X1 soft stepped, Ping S55s 5-PW with no grips on and DG X1 soft stepped plus 1/2" and finally my 3 glide wedges. I speak with John and tell him I'm swapping 8 of the shafts with new (I provided) and new grips on all of them. The new shafts I had was a DG SL for the Apex, 5 DG AMTs, and 2 standard DG shafts for two of my wedges. I took the time to band each club with the new materials going on to that club. I did my best to make everything clear and they delivered perfectly. Everything was done well and on time. Very pleased with the craftsmanship.

Equipment wise I've long thought I wanted to get a lighter shaft in my Apex UT (I put the standard DG in and I never should have). I thought about the DG SL for a while and noticed that the Master's Champ plays exactly that combo. Hit it several times yesterday and I really like the setup. It also flows really well with the S55s with the AMTs. Also took a flier on the Superstroke S Tech Grips. Put those on +1 wrap on all wedges and irons. It was very humid and high 80s yesterday and I didn't have a single negative thought about the grips. Really well done by SS. I would describe them as very Tour Velvet like; just slightly softer and a little more texture to them. I came from a TV cord grip and I feel they're very comparable even without the cord. I know some don't like the yellow accent to the black grip but it looks pretty good to me.

TLDR - Lots of shaft changes and grip changes; Edwin Watts in Lex did very well

Anyone played Connemara in Nicholasville? I got out and played there today for $15 with a Groupon. It's a pretty nice course even it has an odd layout by starting out with two par 5s. The course was in pretty good shape and had a lot of elevation changes.

I would say it is worth a play if you are in that area.

That's my neck of the woods. Decent course. Open. Kept on solid shape. Nothing really special but really solid option so close to me. Hope you enjoyed it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

So I was just looking at the September edition of Golf Magazine. Here's the top 5 courses "You can play in KY".

1. Lassing Pointe, Union
2. Kearney Hill, Lexington
3. Old Silo, Mount Sterling
4. Cherry Blossom, Georgetown
5. Wasioto Winds, Pineville

I play Kearney Hill and Cherry Blossom ( FYI, I live at Cherry Blossom) at least once a month & think they are nice courses.....but in the Lexington area I think Houston Oaks and University Club-Big Blue are just as nice. Also, I also thought Old Silo still had "condition issues". Anyone played it lately?

I know a lot of people say these lists are way off...but what do you all say?

So I was just looking at the September edition of Golf Magazine. Here's the top 5 courses "You can play in KY".

1. Lassing Pointe, Union
2. Kearney Hill, Lexington
3. Old Silo, Mount Sterling
4. Cherry Blossom, Georgetown
5. Wasioto Winds, Pineville

I play Kearney Hill and Cherry Blossom ( FYI, I live at Cherry Blossom) at least once a month & think they are nice courses.....but in the Lexington area I think Houston Oaks and University Club-Big Blue are just as nice. Also, I also thought Old Silo still had "condition issues". Anyone played it lately?

I know a lot of people say these lists are way off...but what do you all say?

I say the above. I remember reading one list and the people were from Wisconsin. It burned me up that some yahoo in Wisconsin could write a ranking piece on Kentucky courses. Naturally people believe them. If someone came and played Old Silo because of that ranking, they're going to leave Kentucky thinking Wow, KY courses stink if this is top 3...

Anyone played Old Silo lately? I got a Golfnow Hotdeal for $14 to play tomorrow (Thursday) at 12:30 . I wanted to check out that course & I couldn't beat that price. There are still 3 more slots available if anyone else wants to play.

Anyone played Old Silo lately? I got a Golfnow Hotdeal for $14 to play tomorrow (Thursday) at 12:30 . I wanted to check out that course & I couldn't beat that price. There are still 3 more slots available if anyone else wants to play.

Not since the THP event, great layout, condition issues when we visited.
$14 though is a no brainier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know how it looks. It was abysmal at the THP Event.

Just got back from Old Silo. The layout is nice & you can tell that at one time it was probably a very nice course....but I agree with Sparksjr's opinion...the conditions are "abysmal" :arrogant:

They have a lot of maintenance people cutting grass, but around the greens is all weeds. Also, they must have gotten a lot of rain in Mt. Sterling because the course seemed soggy. We haven't had much rain in Georgetown. I will say the greens were in decent condition.

I left the course at around 3:30 & the parking lot seemed empty except for the workers. I only saw 3 other groups on the course. How long has the course been in this condition? I also wonder how Old Silo stays in business & if there is any hope it can return to being nice. I asked one maintenance guy was the plan to let all the former sand bunkers turn into grass bunkers...he said they wanted to keep them sand, but he didn't know if it will happen :confused2:

Here are a few photos:

I think this is hole 13....which was the nicest "layout" hole for me.

20160922_143056_zpswbg8nl4u.jpg

But most of the course was in bad condition as you can see...sadly they still have the rakes in the traps.

20160922_150915_zpsoslh7wxp.jpg

20160922_135456_zpsv0dqkgrs.jpg

20160922_134624_zpspgmr9br3.jpg

20160922_131232_zpsajnkkunu.jpg

20160922_130754_zpsa8pae3r5.jpg

20160922_124421_zpsgiczdi8m.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes. I have not played there in many years but have heard from others it has just been completely let go. Sad really, it used to be a great track.

Back