Keurig vs Tassimo

RxGus

Argyle Warrior
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
I am in the market for a small coffee maker and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with these two systems.

About my use:
I drink about 2 cups of coffee a week. I have put off getting a coffee pot mostly because I never have a need for a full pot on my own. However, it isn't uncommon that I entertain and I always feel bad when I can't offer coffee to my guests. I want convenience and some level of flexibility.

Here is what I have found by searching online-

Tassimo
Brews things other than coffee (lattes, espresso, Cappuccino, etc) that are pretty good
Older reviews say that the Tassimo coffee is a little suspect, but I can't find anything newer than 2007. Perhaps that is something that has changed?
The discs are more expensive and has less variety in pure coffee ($0.80/cup)
Base model is more expensive than Keurig

Keurig
Brews only coffee, tea, cider
Better flavors and larger variety of blends/types. Some complaints of watered down coffee with larger cup sizes.
The cups are easier to find, easier to buy, and a little cheaper ($0.60/cup).
Base model is cheaper than Tassimo

Does anyone in THP land have one of these makers? What are your thoughts?

You will have a much easier time finding the kuerig items. I have the cafe novecento and love it. It also takes the kureig single pods. I always look at brew temp because I like strong coffee. For your situation I don't think this will be an issue.

I have had both and I would go Keurig all the way. Like clam fist said it's easier to find Keurig items especially in bulk. You can brew more than just coffee and tea with it. They make hot chocolate and I believe other coffee types. I found that the Keurig coffee tastes better as well and alot less cleanup.

I have had both and I would go Keurig all the way. Like clam fist said it's easier to find Keurig items especially in bulk. You can brew more than just coffee and tea with it. They make hot chocolate and I believe other coffee types. I found that the Keurig coffee tastes better as well and alot less cleanup.

Is there any truth to the "weak" keurig brew? I prefer my coffee on the strong side of things, so that scares me a little bit.
How did the latte's and cappuccinos taste with the Tassimo?

Got my Mom the Tassimo for Christmas last year. She Loves it. The cups are a little tougher to find though. She says she found them in the expesnive supermarket she normally doesn't go to. She orders them online now, no problems.

Gus,
As a former coffee snob, I can tell you that I have had both and much prefer the Keurig. Keurig offers versatility with the "create your own basket" as well.

Gus,
As a former coffee snob, I can tell you that I have had both and much prefer the Keurig. Keurig offers versatility with the "create your own basket" as well.

What is the "create your own basket"?

Edit: I was hoping you would chime in- I figured that you had experience with both systems

What is the "create your own basket"?

Edit: I was hoping you would chime in- I figured that you had experience with both systems

Used Keurig for years and then switched to the Tassimo in my last office. Choices was the main reason I went back to the Keurig.

Here is the "blank" one.

KRG-LG-MYKCUP.jpg

Absolutely love this thing on some darker roasts that I love. It will brew any coffee you would like.

Gus,
I should also add that I am a big fan of espresso overall, so I like the dark stuff. And with the Keurig I have not had any trouble with the flavor. While some are milder, when you find one you like, it is really good. The amount of choices over Tassimo is what really got me. More come out every week and we just said last week that going back to something else would be really hard.

Used Keurig for years and then switched to the Tassimo in my last office. Choices was the main reason I went back to the Keurig.

Here is the "blank" one.

KRG-LG-MYKCUP.jpg

Absolutely love this thing on some darker roasts that I love. It will brew any coffee you would like.

Humm... that is a very nice option!
I am not to worried about availability in terms of being able to buy the pods. My local grocery store carries both styles of cups- though there are far less choices for the Tassimo. After my internet search I was really starting to lean to the Tassimo, but now I have to stop and rethink it all. Decisions, Decisions.

Humm... that is a very nice option!
I am not to worried about availability in terms of being able to buy the pods. My local grocery store carries both styles of cups- though there are far less choices for the Tassimo. After my internet search I was really starting to lean to the Tassimo, but now I have to stop and rethink it all. Decisions, Decisions.

If you are a coffee snob or gourmet coffee drinker at all....Pay attention to that option. Or make sure that ANY pod type of maker you purchase has an option like that. It can definitely change things. Once in a while I want something crazy dark, or something high end that is a gift. The empty pod is amazing and still takes no cleanup, and is good to go.

Im sure other pod machines have choices like that, but I strongly suggest that feature.

My wife being the only coffee drinker in the house, she loves the Keurig. No cleanup, no waiting around in the AM, she does a double brew in her big travel mug and off she goes.

I have a Keurig. You can buy the cups or use the attachment cup and filter that allows you to brew with beans you grind yourself so the variety is limited only by what you can find in whole beans, lots of choices that way.

Another vote for the Keurig, I love mine, there are so many choices and you can find the cups anywhere. I've never had a watered down problem but I like the weaker coffees when I have coffee. I've always been more of a tea drinker.

Make sure you get the more expensive Kuerig in order to have all the options such as cup sizes and temp choices. Cup sizes help with making it as strong or as weak as you'd like.

What about a French Press?
It does require that you have your own pre-ground coffee, or your grind your own coffee fresh, but I have yet to come across another means of making coffee that makes such a good cup.

Had a Keurig, returned it promptly when i found out they max out water temp at 192*. Thats 20* below boiling. by the time you put a little cream in the coffee is luke warm at best. I like my coffee piping hot and coffee should be made with water close 205* to release all the flavor. They must be scared of lawsuits from people burning themselves so they maxed it out at 192*. Back to French press, the best way to make coffee...

Last edited:
Had a Keurig, returned it promptly when i found out they max out water temp at 192*. Thats 20* below boiling. by the time you put a little cream in the coffee is luke warm at best. I like my coffee piping hot and coffee should be made with water close 205* to release all the flavor. They must be scared of lawsuits from people burning themselves so they maxed it out at 192*. Back to French press, the best way to make coffee...

I never have this problem, I use half and half or some kind of creamer on a regular basis. I don't think I could put enough in to bring the temp down that much without using a cup that is twice as big as the amount of coffee I am making.

I never have this problem, I use half and half or some kind of creamer on a regular basis. I don't think I could put enough in to bring the temp down that much without using a cup that is twice as big as the amount of coffee I am making.

Same here. I actually am waiting right now for my cup to cool down. JNRadio do you still have feeling in your mouth? lol

+1 on the Keurig.

So... I have friends in the area that have both. This next week I am joining them each for a cup of coffee (or three) and will make my decision off the that testing.

I mean- if I wouldn't buy a golf club without being "fit", why would I buy a coffee machine without being fit!

So... I have friends in the area that have both. This next week I am joining them each for a cup of coffee (or three) and will make my decision off the that testing.

I mean- if I wouldn't buy a golf club without being "fit", why would I buy a coffee machine without being fit!

Couldn't agree more, you have to get fit for you coffee maker gus. I bought my coffee maker off the rack ( I drink a lot of coffee) and it just doesn't fit my coffee game. The grind and brew feature does not suit my needs and the coffee is not hot enough.

Couldn't agree more, you have to get fit for you coffee maker gus. I bought my coffee maker off the rack ( I drink a lot of coffee) and it just doesn't fit my coffee game. The grind and brew feature does not suit my needs and the coffee is not hot enough.

Would you be willing to change to Capresso? I know they are really expensive, but they have the user control necessary for unbeatable workability.

I currently own this, and its SUCKS!!!!!!
ttydH4XnbxmkEmUXEF3fQnlDxoeiNxd2poV6E5mPibLq7TF3YPe2GGz3-Gz9KbhhMOooYXW5wHkav_yHBD7ZfOUAl-dK7s88DMnuBAJyEHH0fr6QsfZ2KPKB57uVz43TjOZTRrXtG9o3CrkcdqXzINfXyDoa84N-s1M8qJ9r1vlWAugsi3SMNjFAoWXFFzw-BHW5WT-Y52R-uqdiZuGKRdmK_I3L

I will soon own something else but I'm not sure what yet. For the most part I'm just making french press coffee for now, but today I broke out the percolator and that is flat out the best coffee. I'm in coffee heaven this morning.

Mrs SAM bought the mid-size Keurig about a month ago. I liked it pretty well using the variety of pre-made cups, but once I broke out the attachment cup and brewed my own Colombian, I was sold. I will probably occasionally use her pre-made flavor cups, but my Colombian w/ a dash of half & half = heaven.

Back