Kids on the Course - Done the Right Way

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was able to get away a little early today and got a 3:51 tee time. All I knew was I was paired with a twosome, which turned out to be a dad and his seven year old. Charlie had all the energy of a seven year old boy and exactly one lesson under his belt. It helped that the groups in front of us were slow. Dad used that to let Charlie hit a few extra balls, and Dad was a positive teacher in terms of behaviors - when to be quiet, staying out of someone's line, how to swing a heavy club without completely losing balance. And Charlie is like a sponge. I stood behind him on one hole as he hit and watched him replace a fairway divot, unprompted. On 7, Charlie hit a 7 iron from 40 yards that landed inside of the two adults, about ten feet from the pin. Pure joy on the kid's face. And at no time did Dad let Charlie slow the pace of play.

We only played together for 9, but it was a bunch of fun. I've played with and behind a lot of golfers who could learn a lot from Charlie and his dad. I hope I see them again.

I played behind 2 kids today who were with their dad. They couldn’t have been older than 8 or 9. Both actually knew what they were doing and kept up a good pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the other experience once though. Dad and kid, probably no more than 10 years old, around there anyway, and it looked like Dad was being a great teacher as far as the attention he was giving his son, but he was absolutely clueless as to pace and etiquette. It was like he thought he and his kid were the only ones on the course, dropping balls and hitting shots again, putting from multiple locations on the green, and this while we were waiting on the tee or in the fairway. The kid was getting plenty of swing instruction and practice, but he was learning nothing about being a courteous golfer on a public course.

When I take my daughter out she gets to hit shots until it is time for me to hit. Then she waits to hit again until I get to my shot. We keep a pretty good pace using that method.

Always good to see kids out learning, and picking up good habits!

Played yesterday morning and we had one of our juniors out behind us as we saw him approaching the first green as we were walking towards the second green

One of our group hit a wayward tee shot on the 3rd so as we were looking for his ball we waved him up. He hit his tee shot (shorter than us but only due to his age and dead straight) just as we found the ball we were looking for, so we said we would play up the hole with him and then let him get away from us on the next tee

Whilst walking up the hole we had a good chat with him and he was very polite, thanked us for letting him through and hit some very nice shots including a chip to a couple feet. We let him chip up and putt out before we chipped up and he thanked us again before heading to the next tee and putting another drive straight down the middle of the next hole

By the time we had teed off and started walking down the fairway he was heading to the 5th tee and he gave us a wave as he was walking up the fairway parallel to us

Excellent youngster and not a bad golf game either

Nice to see someone teaching kids the correct way. They will have golf for the rest of there lives to share and enjoy.

Great to see instruction outside of just golfing taking place. Well done & something my daughter & I do.

If they can’t advance the ball 100+ yards. They should be on a par 3 course.... and that goes for everyone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back