Kinda surprised...

The Papa

2015 Fantasy Golf Winner
Reaction score
Handicap
I went to our local golf pro shop today in hopes of testing some Apex CF 16's with Recoil 780es. They had the Apex's but not the shaft I wanted. They only had f3 in 660 or something for UST but had a Fujikara something. I didn't pay too much attention because I honestly just wasn't interested in that shaft. The salesman set me up with some Apex's w/ TT XP95's and said lets start here.

Ok, a few warm ups and I was liking what I saw and felt. He felt I wouldn't see too much advantage in graphite because of my size, strength, club speed and where I was releasing my club. I said I respected that but let me try graphite anyway. So he switched the shaft to the Fujikura. Surprisingly I couldn't tell much of any difference. He asked my handicap and we got to talking about the XR w/ cup face line and he grabbed one and let me hit that.

What the??? Definately felt heavier but the launch was higher and honestly I see didn't see any loss in yardage. With both the Apex and XR set up with the TT95 I was seeing very very similar distances and dispersion. They XR was definately larger at address but either was ok for my eye.

The fitter was a PGA teaching professional on staff with Titleist and he said liked what he was seeing with the XR in my hands. Again, he stated I would not see a significant difference with the graphite.

Soooo... what would those of you who have hit both the XP95 and the Recoil say? Do you guys think this guy is just selling me what he has or not? I honestly didn't think he was and felt he was offering what he felt was the best for me. He was even giving me a few swing tips so that made me like him even more.

I saw differences between the two shafts when hitting the PTx's. It wasn't night and day life changing stuff, but they did perform differently. More than that I think the graphite shafts are just a lot easier on our bodies, regardless of how big or strong we are.

Before I bought my AP1's, I was originally fitted for CF16's with the XP95 shaft. I was nailing them. Then when I decided I wanted graphite, the recoils didn't work for me at all, hence I ended up with the AP1's with different graphite shafts. I'm sure the recoils are very good shafts, but don't get carried away with the hype. I haven't read anything in your post that makes me think the guy was trying to sell you a particular something over something else.

I went graphite because of an elbow injury. I doubt that I am getting much more distance out of my irons vs a steel shaft but I went with the Recoils and have been very pleased.

If he was trying to push you on the more expensive model I would be worried, but seams like he was trying to get what worked best for you. Next set of irons I will be testing out steel and graphite options and go with whatever fits best. If steel I will throw some sensicore inserts in them. Have done that with my range set and have not had any flare ups with my elbow.

I've had old school instructors / fitters give me the 'you swing too fast / you are too strong' talk about graphite and try to steer me toward steel too. They just haven't gotten on board with the legitimacy of graphite products currently on the market. Maybe that's not what was happening here but I was reading a bit of that into The Papa's description.

Last edited:
It was an adjustment but the graphite has been a welcomed change since changing 2 years ago.

I've had old school instructors / fitters give me the 'you swing too fast / you are too strong' talk about graphite and try to steer me toward steel too. They just haven't gotten on Baird with the legitimacy of graphite products currently on the market. Maybe that's not what was happening here but I was reading a bit of that into The Papa's description.

That reminds me Frank and now I wonder about that because he said numerous times he was an "old school" instructor. hmmmm......

I went with the 95s but like both when I tried them (graphite vs steel). Now that I've had an injury graphite shafts are on my list.

Back