King Tec, UW or Halo XL?

JimmyOhio

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for something to replace my 3 wood that is easier to hit. Like the looks of these "larger than hybrid but smaller than fairway wood" type clubs. Callaway UW, Cobra King Tec and Cleveland Launcher XL Halo seem like they would fit the bill. Anyone have experience with any of these? Tell me about them.

I can only speak to King Tec and it is an easy to hit hybrid. I have the 2H and it can get lofted down and go the same distance as my 3w right now.

I can only speak to the Halo Hywood XL, but it is one of easiest clubs I've ever hit. It's money from the deck or the tee. I hit my 4H 200 yards. I hit the Hy-wood 220-225 with a soaring high trajectory.

The downside is it's not adjustable. But I don't know what I'd change about it. It's pretty much point and shoot.

And the Hy-wood is $60-$80 cheaper.

Last edited:
I’m a Cleveland fan so I’ll get that out of the way early. I bought the Hy-Wood over the winter and I played it last week for the first time. It’s so easy to hit. I’m not good with a fairway wood off of the deck which prompted this purchase. I was literally striping the ball with this club the 5 times I used it last weekend (2 off of a tee and 3 off of the deck). I never use the word striping for fairway woods much less hybrids either. No idea what they’ve done but I suspect it’s the shaft but it’s an east club to gain confidence with quickly with matching results.

I’m a Cleveland fan so I’ll get that out of the way early. I bought the Hy-Wood over the winter and I played it last week for the first time. It’s so easy to hit. I’m not good with a fairway wood off of the deck which prompted this purchase. I was literally striping the ball with this club the 5 times I used it last weekend (2 off of a tee and 3 off of the deck). I never use the word striping for fairway woods much less hybrids either. No idea what they’ve done but I suspect it’s the shaft but it’s an east club to gain confidence with quickly with matching results.

That's my experience. I've played over 20 rounds with the Hy-Wood. I've used it WAY more than I used my 5-wood. My 5-wood was hit and hope from the deck. The occasional 'great' shot was accompanied by a lot 'meh' shots. I feel like I can take dead aim with the Hy-wood and good result most of the time. My par-5 scoring has dropped by .5 stroke. I used to layup a lot and now I'll try to bang it on or close in 2. It's also money off the tee. I've played some tight par 5 holes hy-wood/hy-wood...and still put myself in a great position to score.

It's extended my range on approach/second shots by 25 yards.

I recently tested the UW in the bay and have the King Tec 2h. Small sample size but the UW seemed to ask for a little more in terms of ball striking ability compared to the King Tec.

I haven’t hit the Hy-wood but if you are looking for easier to hit I’d guess the order would be Hy-wood > King Tec > UW.

One of those three is directly marketed at amateurs who struggle with fairways, one has a bunch of adjustability off you like to tinker, and one spent time in Phil Mickleson’s bag. All great golf clubs but each fitting a bit of a different objective in my opinion.

That's my experience. I've played over 20 rounds with the Hy-Wood. I've used it WAY more than I used my 5-wood. My 5-wood was hit and hope from the deck. The occasional 'great' shot was accompanied by a lot 'meh' shots. I feel like I can take dead aim with the Hy-wood and good result most of the time. My par-5 scoring has dropped by .5 stroke. I used to layup a lot and now I'll try to bang it on or close in 2. It's also money off the tee. I've played some tight par 5 holes hy-wood/hy-wood...and still put myself in a great position to score.

It's extended my range on approach/second shots by 25 yards.
This is what I wanted to hear. It’s exactly why I bought it blindly based off of what I was reading hear late last year into this year.

What’s the difference off of the tee compared to your 5w? I won’t be able to see for myself for at least a few more weeks I figure.

I have the UW and King Tec in the bag right now and for the foreseeable future. UW is a monster at 17 degrees. Any shot asked of it, it just gives. The King Tec I have I play at 18 degrees. Its about 3/4 inch shorter and that opens the face, with the heavy weight in the toe it is a high ball flight that fits a gap. It is extremely adjustable. I recommend both. The King Tec is firmly cemented in my bag as well.

I am currently using a Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid for any shot around 200-215 yards. This includes almost all second shots on par 5's. I don't have any fairway woods in my bag. I like the Rogue but I feel like I might be able to get more distance from either the Hy wood, UW or King Tec. Leaning toward the Hy-Wood strictly due to price. I am also likely replacing my 10 year old Rocketballz driver this year and that will likely cost me between $450-550. If I want to stay married I need to spend as little as possible on a Rogue replacement.

As mentioned by @thewilderside, you would want to add the Super Hybrid to that list. I personally have hit the King Tec, the UW and the Super Hybrid. From what I have read and experienced, those with higher club speed can get some of these profiles to work as a 3 wood replacement, maybe even other golfers as well, but for me, it is more realistic to look at it as a 5 wood replacement. I personally don’t get as much distance out of any of them as my 3 wood. However, they are more versatile for sure.

Of the ones that I mentioned that I have tried:

1. King Tec might be the easiest to use. It is no slouch with ball speed, but it probably is not as fast as the Super Hybrid. Make sure you try the weighting to optimize face closure. I was so so with the King Tec until I put the heavy weight in the heel. It then came alive for me. I normally hit draws, too, so it was surprising.

2. Super Hybrid is just a flat out distance monster.

3. The UW leans slightly more to the wood side than the hybrid side, but it is probably the most versatile long club that I have ever hit. It works out of so many lies. For me, it provides a little more penetrating of a ball flight than the other two. It does not generate quite as much ball speed as the Super Hybrid, but it still is very fast. It might be the most unique, versatile club that I have hit in several years.

The whole Launcher XL Halo lineup is so good! So user friendly!

I have hit all three you mentioned and the Hy-Wood really is an apples to oranges comparison to the other two for my swing. I found the Hy-Wood to be higher launching and higher spinning and thus much easier to hit from the fairway than the other two. I carry it as a 5 wood replacement and an OG Super Hybrid as a tee only club.

I am currently using a Callaway Rogue 3 hybrid for any shot around 200-215 yards. This includes almost all second shots on par 5's. I don't have any fairway woods in my bag. I like the Rogue but I feel like I might be able to get more distance from either the Hy wood, UW or King Tec. Leaning toward the Hy-Wood strictly due to price. I am also likely replacing my 10 year old Rocketballz driver this year and that will likely cost me between $450-550. If I want to stay married I need to spend as little as possible on a Rogue replacement.
I'd go to a PGA Superstore and try them all to see which performs the best for you. You'll be surprised, I sure was when I got fitted. I hit a Stealth 7w better than any hybrid

I'd go to a PGA Superstore and try them all to see which performs the best for you. You'll be surprised, I sure was when I got fitted. I hit a Stealth 7w better than any hybrid
I wish we had a PGA Superstore around here. All we have is Golf Galaxy. ☹️

This is the answer. They definitely are different clubs for different jobs (I suppose although that all depends on gapping)

I wish we had a PGA Superstore around here. All we have is Golf Galaxy. ☹
That’s all I have too. Better than nothing…but not much

This is what I wanted to hear. It’s exactly why I bought it blindly based off of what I was reading hear late last year into this year.

What’s the difference off of the tee compared to your 5w? I won’t be able to see for myself for at least a few more weeks I figure.

I hit it with a slightly more piercing trajectory and about 5 yards longer than off the deck. It's so good that it's the only wood in my bag. I got driver, hy-wood, 4H.

I have more confidence off the tee than I did with a 5-wood. It's a weapon rather than a 'play it safe' club. I feel like I can tee it up and smash it.

Back