Kirkland Costco Golf Ball Thread

I have been playing both the 3 piece and 4 piece. I like the performance of the 3 piece right up until I have to putt. Ball is too soft for me and I have a real hard time controlling distance with my putter. Otherwise, it plays well off driver, irons and wedges for me.

The 4 piece feels a bit heavier, nothing stands out above the rest its just a decent performer. I do like it better off my putter but prefer the iron performance of the 3 piece.

Neither are as good all around as the Pro-V1X for me.

The verdict is still out for me on the 3 piece. I seem to slice it more than my Srixon Soft Feel or Snell Get Sum.

For me the 4 piece is a pretty good ball but the 3 piece has too much spin. (Had the same problem with the Cut 3 piece) Especially in the wind. Almost any other 3 piece ball works for me but this one. Not really sure why.

For me the 4 piece is a pretty good ball but the 3 piece has too much spin. (Had the same problem with the Cut 3 piece) Especially in the wind. Almost any other 3 piece ball works for me but this one. Not really sure why.

Same with me. I found one and teed off with it on the 1st hole into the wind. Ended up quite a bit short of where I would normally expect the ball to be but felt that maybe I didn't strike it all that well. Then hit my 5w 2nd shot (the hole was a par 5) and knew I absolutely smoked it only to have one of the longest approaches into that hole I've ever had after two even decent but not good shots. Picked the ball up and gave it to one of my buddies who lives on a course and plays any ball he finds in his back yard.

Last edited:
I still have a stash of the original 4 piece and def. like it better than the 3 that you can get now.

I played a 168 yard par 3. The wind was blowing back at me. I hit my 7 iron, which should have been more than enough club, and came up short! Like the ball got caught up in the wind and kind of died.

I played a 168 yard par 3. The wind was blowing back at me. I hit my 7 iron, which should have been more than enough club, and came up short! Like the ball got caught up in the wind and kind of died.

I went out and found a hole that was playing directly into about a 10-12mph breeze. Hitting off the fairway with a pitching wedge.

I hit a sleeve of the original 4pc and a sleeve of the 3pc. The average of the 4pc K-Sigs was about 6-8 yards short of the flag. The average of the 3pc was nearly 15 yards short.

So my conclusion is the 3pc is affected on short irons and wedges about twice as much as the 4pc. For my rather slow and short-hitting swing, anyway.

I played the 3 piece today after a buddy gave me a sleeve and asked my opinion. I think it’s a fantastic ball for the money. The wind was blowing around 15 today and the ball was moving around quite a bit more then I would have like. I didn’t notice any excessive spin like other posters had mentioned. Overall I think my driving distance was shorter then ChromeSoftX. The savings is hard to argue though and I think I would like to do some on the course head to head testing before I completely give up on the ball.

Kirkland Costco Golf Ball Thread

I still have several boxes of the 3 and 4 piece balls in my stockpile. I’ll get to them eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I brought out the original 4pc from my inventory and put it in play for the first time this year. Shot my lowest 9 of the year. Either it's a great ball for me or the ball has no correlation to my score.

Ok, I can admit when I was wrong! @JDax and @JB y'all were right! Costco ball isn't good! Played 9 holes using the Costco ball and 9 using the Q-Star Tour. Q-Star out performed the Kirkland in every aspect. Feel and putting( sound and roll) were like night and day. I know the Costco is supposed to be a higher spinning ball, but the Srixon held the greens a lot better. And, the Costco ball seemed to be way more punishing on miss hits!

Ok, I can admit when I was wrong! @JDax and @JB y'all were right! Costco ball isn't good! Played 9 holes using the Costco ball and 9 using the Q-Star Tour. Q-Star out performed the Kirkland in every aspect. Feel and putting( sound and roll) were like night and day. I know the Costco is supposed to be a higher spinning ball, but the Srixon held the greens a lot better. And, the Costco ball seemed to be way more punishing on miss hits!

FWIW I didnt say the ball wasn’t good. I said that for the level of QC aspects that THPers are, you would think they Would be searching for something similar in a golf ball. Rather than retreads. There are some that love them. I still say that if the same ball was stamped Walmart vs Kirkland, nobody would have even noticed they exist.

But more importantly, I am just glad you found something that you like. The Srixon gets great reviews from THPers.

A lot depends on which version of the Kirkland ball one is referring to. The original 4-piece was a great ball, comparable to many high end balls, but apparently made from core overruns no longer available for a couple of suspected reasons. I guess you could refer to that ball as a "retread". The 3-piece came from a different foundry and was, according to one testing source, the highest spinning ball they had ever tested. The latest four piece, from the same foundry as the three piece has/had cover durability issue - cracking - for which Costco refunded everyone's purchase costs. I don't think brand labeling a ball from an off shore foundry necessarily counts as a "retread". Callaway still offers, through Costco, the Hex Tour Soft from a foundry in Taiwan. Does that classify as a "retread" too? I asked Finley about that ball and his response was it is a "very good ball", comparable to the SuperHot.

BTW, GolfDiscount.com has the Q Star Tour for $24.98 for 2 dozen right now.

BTW, GolfDiscount.com has the Q Star Tour for $24.98 for 2 dozen right now.

Call me crazy, but I think that is an older ball.

it's the previous gen

Definitely the previous generation but still a great ball and IMO a much better ball from a QC and performance standpoint than the Kirkland 3-piece.

Definitely the previous generation but still a great ball and IMO a much better ball from a QC and performance standpoint than the Kirkland 3-piece.
performance is definitely subjective to the individual, but I can see how QC can be a deterrent to some. although I see the kirklands as being no different from many other DTC balls

performance is definitely subjective to the individual, but I can see how QC can be a deterrent to some. although I see the kirklands as being no different from many other DTC balls

It is subjective but I'm a high spin player and around the greens with the Kirkland 3 piece, I can't get a partial lob wedge to stop within 15 or 20 feet. The Q Star on the same shot I can stop it as well as a Z Star, Pro V1x, or TP5x. Certainly within 5 feet of its pitch mark.

it's the previous gen

Love that it says the “new Srixon”

I tend to agree except one part of the equation. Most of the other DTC products are golf people, that check things over, have a background in golf, etc.

Love that it says the “new Srixon”

I don't recall Srixon putting OLD MODEL or similar on their retail boxes (or any other company for that matter):greenalien:

I tend to agree except one part of the equation. Most of the other DTC products are golf people, that check things over, have a background in golf, etc.
Certainly true. Anybody making an order from <insert factory> is limited to that factory's materials, processes, and capabilities.

I got a pack of the 3-piece from Costco primarily for hitting in my sim.. So far the numbers seem close enough and they feel good

Back