This is true. Even blanked open catalogue wedges had R&D at some point. Some brands get praised for that I guess. Not my thing, that’s for sure

Sure, we agree there. I am just fascinated by this model, and would love to understand the whole process.

I can’t wait for all the shock articles on these 👀

Sure, we agree there. I am just fascinated by this model, and would love to understand the whole process.
Point at blank in catalog. Give script. Order. Sell. Laugh their ass off.

No thanks! I am perfectly happy with my Cleveland RTX4 wedges. All the different types of clubs have plenty of competition. Their putters sold out primarily due to undercutting most of the competition. I guess if they price the wedges below market of other wedges, they will likely sell out too.

Point at blank in catalog. Give script. Order. Sell. Laugh their ass off.
That’s all there is to it today.
1244 matches for “golf wedge” on alibaba. Some are not wedges, but that is how easy it becomes to get your own line of wedges.

If I was a betting man, I would say sourcing near net castings at best or buying blanks at worst and having them done. It's not a new model, and one that quite a few companies use.

I don't understand the hate I guess. I won't be buying any. But, if they work for someone so be it? If they are crap so be it. It's not like they're the only company selling cheap golf products. They get a lot of exposure based on the hype that was built by the OG Kirkland ball (which was a fine ball by all accounts). If they keep pumping out poor products like their 3 piece and the massive failure of their second 4 piece ball, the hype will eventually die down.

The putter had some hype initially, but that seemed to die down pretty quickly too. I don't know. If it's a cheap option that works for some golfers more power to them.

If I was a betting man, I would say sourcing near net castings at best or buying blanks at worst and having them done. It's not a new model, and one that quite a few companies use.

That's what I am thinking as well. So what is the over under on price? $110?

Curious if OEM's order these blanks and reverse engineer them with their propriety R&D, or do most OEM's design from scratch?

I say good for them.
Stamping a blank and selling it is hardly new in the Golf space, and it's just a cheaper form of milling a blank - which is celebrated by many people who dont know better.

The broader discussion here should be about golf club R&D. You either believe it works and are willing to pay for it, or you think it's just a fancy marketing term and put no stock in it. Many many buyers in the 2nd category.

Came here looking to find the new cheese wedge flight announcement, left disappointed.

While I may not agree with the release, can't knock the hustle. It's capitalism at it's finest and I am sure they know the demand is there. Who am I to tell someone how to spend their money, just because I won't be spending mine.

Nicely stated. Not that I would be in the market for any Kirkland brand clubs, but these will sell, especially if the price is right, so to speak.

That's what I am thinking as well. So what is the over under on price? $110?

If they aren't $79 or less they are charging too much. I would have probably gone in the $49-$59 range genuinely.
There are far too many brands out there with both cast and forged wedges in the $79-$99 for products.

Curious if OEM's order these blanks and reverse engineer them with their propriety R&D, or do most OEM's design from scratch?

Depends on the club, but most OEMs have R&D and design their products and it is not inexpensive to create. When it comes to some muscle backs or limited players cavities they may use near net forgings with multiple stages of design on top of that.

If they aren't $79 or less they are charging too much. I would have probably gone in the $49-$59 range genuinely.
There are far too many brands out there with both cast and forged wedges in the $79-$99 for products.

You are probably right. I was just trying to compare the price to their putter. It was $150'ish right??

My guess is that they will be at a $149 price point in a pack of 3, at something like 50/54/58 52/56/60.

Edit: h/t to @Duffer Waldorf for pointing out that the picture shows a 52, which I clearly ignored.

Last edited:
To heck with their "Milled Face Technology". I want to hear more about the milled back.

You are probably right. I was just trying to compare the price to their putter. It was $150'ish right??
It seems like there are always quality wedges for around $100. RTX4 is currently $99. I’d think under $60.

52 / 56/ 60 is the most common gaping.
I went with my original suggestion because I had a hard time picturing the cross section of Costco golf club shoppers and those who comfortably play a 60* wedge. If this is a set with a 60, then it should do wonders for pace of play around the greens :rolleyes:.

Back