I'm sure these have the high dollar OEM's a little worried...for awhile.
If these things turn out to be a decent wedge it could have them worried for quite awhile.
They wasted some buzz from the first run of golf balls. I can't see them making many waves with these.

I mean theyll definitely cater to a certain market, but I'm not expecting a slew of lofts and grinds like the OEMs have

Yes, and I would venture a guess that that market will have no thoughts as to lofts, grinds, bounce etc. - just price.

How about now. I know I know. My paint skills are lacking.

1595952888533.png

Golf snobs in full affect. No one cares but everyone is bashing the guy that buys them. Great for a inclusive golf site to bash cheap clubs. I forgot, we all started high teen golfers with ping blades.

I know my first set was a knockoff Tommy armours....love them

Last edited:
Do we have any idea who made these wedges?

I do not have any issue with Costco putting these out, I just know I’d rather spend my hard earned money on companies that heavily invest in their R&D and actually have accountability for what they produce. If Costco has issues with these, they’ll just stop selling them and take returns, without skipping a beat. A major OEM with the same problem, would not have the same result.

r Kirkland thread.

My brother's in laws came a couple weekends ago and they went over to Costco to buy their case of balls. He just started playing and loses like 5 balls a round, so he figures buy those.

Man people on this site would stone him. He buys cheap golf stuff and is probably a slow player.....STONE HIM

Golf snobs in full affect. No one cares but everyone is bashing the guy that buys them. Great for a inclusive golf site to bash cheap clubs. I forgot, we all started high teen golfers with ping blades.

I know my first set was a knockoff Tommy armours....love them
We don't know the price of these yet, so I don't think people are bashing them on price. What the consistent criticism throughout all the Kirkland golf equipment threads is that there is no investment in R&D by Costco with these, just rebadging. Maybe they are an awesome value, or maybe they are a total turd like the second batch of the 4 piece balls that the covers kept failing. Overall THP is an extremely inclusive place, from my experience.

I look forward to reading your reviews of these wedges. Maybe I'll even buy a set if you have good results, presuming they remain in stock. I tried to find a putter with no luck.

While I may not agree with the release, can't knock the hustle. It's capitalism at it's finest and I am sure they know the demand is there. Who am I to tell someone how to spend their money, just because I won't be spending mine.

Agree with this, we are usually preaching how options are good. I'm not going to bag on these like I won't bag on people for wearing kirkland clothing. If it gets someone to enjoy the game of golf I'm all for it.

I don't understand the hate I guess. I won't be buying any. But, if they work for someone so be it? If they are crap so be it. It's not like they're the only company selling cheap golf products. They get a lot of exposure based on the hype that was built by the OG Kirkland ball (which was a fine ball by all accounts). If they keep pumping out poor products like their 3 piece and the massive failure of their second 4 piece ball, the hype will eventually die down.

The putter had some hype initially, but that seemed to die down pretty quickly too. I don't know. If it's a cheap option that works for some golfers more power to them.
This is pretty close to my view. Here on THP we often say that every piece of equipment works for someone. That inherently validates every product as having legitimacy. Apparently Kirkwood is the only exception to that rule.

These wedges won't be replacing the MD5 and PM Grind in my bag, but I can see where they'll generate some sales among casual/non-internet golfers if they're priced right. Just like the Kirkland balls and putter did.

I see a lot of DTC brands getting love in the internet golf world - can't figure out why Kirkland draws so much fire. It seems like a lot of the "R&D" for some of those DTC companies consists of making their product as close to an existing popular/hot selling product as possible without generating lawsuits.

TBH, I have less heartburn with Kirkland's golf business model than I do with, say, Scotty Cameron - who has made a quite lucrative career off cloning the Ping Anser putter, stamping a bunch of jumbled letters all over it, and charging five times as much for it. I've never been able to figure that one out.

Last edited:
I could see them selling all 3 as a set for $149 and getting some takers. Too much more than that, and I’m not sure.

I want to take a hammer to it.

not stamps though...

Do we have any idea who made these wedges?

I do not have any issue with Costco putting these out, I just know I’d rather spend my hard earned money on companies that heavily invest in their R&D and actually have accountability for what they produce. If Costco has issues with these, they’ll just stop selling them and take returns, without skipping a beat. A major OEM with the same problem, would not have the same result.

Did you buy one of those $400 wedges from PXG then?

What kind of 'issues' do you foresee with these, or any other Kirkland club thus far? Not sure what I should hold Costco accountable for on a golf wedge. I personally don't like the Kirkland balls, but I have no complaints on their quality, just don't like their feel off the driver.

I have a buddy that just got into golf and has a tight budget. These would definitely be an option for him. He’s still learning and looking for something solid that won’t break the bank. I suspect they will be in a packaged deal like @BigDill mentioned between $140-$150. I would imagine this would have better quality than a Walmart set.

Did you buy one of those $400 wedges from PXG then?

What kind of 'issues' do you foresee with these, or any other Kirkland club thus far? Not sure what I should hold Costco accountable for on a golf wedge. I personally don't like the Kirkland balls, but I have no complaints on their quality, just don't like their feel off the driver.
They had a debacle of a release of a new 4 piece ball last year. It was a terrible product that had absolutely no durability. They ended up just pulling the product and refunding everyone that bought it. So, I can see where he's coming from there. If it's a terrible product, there is no assurance that it will be made right other than a possible refund. It's not like they're going back to the drawing board and refining their design. That last ball that got pulled was a head scratcher. I cannot believe there was no testing done on durability. Or, whomever manufactured it tried to get away with a crappy product.

TBH, I have less heartburn with Kirkland's golf business model than I do with, say, Scotty Cameron - who has made a quite lucrative career off cloning the Ping Anser putter, stamping a bunch of jumbled letters all over it, and charging five times as much for it. I've never been able to figure that one out.

They had a debacle of a release of a new 4 piece ball last year. It was a terrible product that had absolutely no durability. They ended up just pulling the product and refunding everyone that bought it. So, I can see where he's coming from there. If it's a terrible product, there is no assurance that it will be made right other than a possible refund. It's not like they're going back to the drawing board and refining their design. That last ball that got pulled was a head scratcher. I cannot believe there was no testing done on durability. Or, whomever manufactured it tried to get away with a crappy product.
Fair point about not going back to the drawing board. But lets also acknowledge that those refunds to everyone who bought it is a lot more solid than many OEM's would do

Fair point about not going back to the drawing board. But lets also acknowledge that those refunds to everyone who bought it is a lot more solid than many OEM's would do
That's my thought as well. How many would really refund the purchase price after it's hit even once?

Oh, for sure. Refunds are great. I think given their business model, it's really the only thing they can do. But, it does show the lack of quality assurance with a given product. They rely on whoever is fulfilling the order to do so. And, it's obviously not always as high quality as they'd like. Not saying a wedge won't be decent. But, if it turns out to be just some very cheap wedge with poor weighting and bad feel. If it's not breaking, what can you do? Costco isn't doing anything to ensure that they swing weight consistently or lofts and lie are within spec.

Costco isn't doing anything to ensure that they swing weight consistently or lofts and lie are within spec.

Many OEMs aren't exactly great at those things, too, from the looks of some of the threads around here.

Back