I too am a Wusthof ho. I like the Grand Prix II series.

Obviously I am on the wrong thread but we just got a set of Chicago cutlery, 18 piece set, and they are great. Best part is that it was only $150. Definitely not flashy but a real nice set.

20200428_151952.jpg

I bought a set of Victorinox after doing a lot of reading about knives. They won't win any beauty contests, but they're good knives and have served me well.

I'd love to spring for a nice set of Japanese knives like Shun, but have a hard time swallowing the cost. They sure are beautiful knives, though.

I have Global knives and they are great. You can get them in a set of 3 that works for pretty much anything you need. You can also look at Misen knives. They are more direct to consumer so you can get them a bit cheaper but are still quality IMO.

Global knives are used by many professional chefs and are beautifully balanced knives.

I'm a big fan on the Shun premier line. I'm looking forward to adding a few more knives to the kitchen from them.

I would say.....don't do that.

Get her something she wants.
Then also buy the knives because it is a family type gift.

Just my worthless penny. My guess is your evening might be a bit more interesting then....;)

To this point, i do the cooking. Nothing pisses me off more than when she buys me something she thinks will help me cook better. When i needed a good knife i told her and i bought it. I love my knife. But if she would have gotten it without me saying i needed or wanted it i would have been ticked (would have loved the knife, not the process). Good point here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the majority of the cooking around the house, yes, both indoors and outdoor grill/smoker. Like many on here I have quite a few knives that I use for various things from a flexible filet knife, to a curved boning knife, straight boning knife, carver, santoku, etc. Some are even Damascus, but they aren't any better than some of my Wusthof knives, just pretty to look at.
If you want or have to have some good/sharp Damascus knives on the cheap, go to Amazon, they got a bunch at 2x 3x cheaper than an online knife store. I have a few and the Damascus layers are as good as the expensive ones. I haven't had any issues, but then again I'm not that hard on knives.

Wusthof Classic as many have mentioned are hard to beat. We have our original set that was a wedding gift in 1994 and they are as good as new. I've added some other knives over the years from Henckels and Wusthof and buying quality the first time is wise.

We are a Henckels family. Bought an 'expensive for us' set 15 years ago and we still use them every day. I'm a fan.

JA Henkckels here , purchased a set like this 27 years ago for us and still love them.

One more point. A good knife is also a dangerous knife in the wrong hands. Meaning if you make a mistake you will be mucky with just stitches. Clean by hand very carefully and keep away from kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t heard much about Wusthof before! I’ll have to give them a look!

We use Henckel and Victorinox and I’ve been happy with them.

I have a set of Wusthoffs from when I got married. They are great.

This $25 knife I have beats the crap out if it though. I don't use anything else. Sharpen every couple of times and hand wash it. Sharp as anything I have ever used.

Thanks for all the input guys. I bought a 3-piece Shun Premier set after finding a decent deal on it. I think she'll love it.
Great choice! Just make sure at all costs you hand wash them and never put them in the dishwasher as it can cause the handle to crack over time. If you do that, those knives will last you a lifetime +.

I have a set of Wusthoffs from when I got married. They are great.

This $25 knife I have beats the crap out if it though. I don't use anything else. Sharpen every couple of times and hand wash it. Sharp as anything I have ever used.

For outdoor use around the grill, I buy fillet knives (for fishing) from a sporting goods store. They're sharp as hell, meant for rough environments and not expensive. I use them until they get dull/beat up, then just toss them and buy another one.

I wish my wife would accept kitchen knives as a gift but.....
1. She rarely cooks (she admitted the other day she knows how to boil things and toast things, and that is pretty much all she remembers)
2. She insists on using a steak knife to slice/chop everything

Hopefully you find something that works well that she enjoys.
My knives are a mashup of some different Henckels stuff (love me some yellow handles), and a couple santoku knives that I love despite their cheapness.

Since it appears that the OP has received the best of recommendations and chosen a set to start with, can I semi-hijack the thread and ask a related question: I understand that keeping a knife sharp is job 1, so for those of you with knives that you've had for years how often are you sharpening them? My understanding is that you should hone a knife on its steel before/during every use, so at what point are you actually sharpening?

I'm curious because I have a set of Chicago Cutlery that dulls just by me looking at them. I'm definitely going to look into Wusthof, but if I'm going to spend the money I want to be able to maintain them

Since it appears that the OP has received the best of recommendations and chosen a set to start with, can I semi-hijack the thread and ask a related question: I understand that keeping a knife sharp is job 1, so for those of you with knives that you've had for years how often are you sharpening them? My understanding is that you should hone a knife on its steel before/during every use, so at what point are you actually sharpening?

I'm curious because I have a set of Chicago Cutlery that dulls just by me looking at them. I'm definitely going to look into Wusthof, but if I'm going to spend the money I want to be able to maintain them
Great question

Thanks for all the input guys. I bought a 3-piece Shun Premier set after finding a decent deal on it. I think she'll love it.

Good set, love my Shuns. Been in action in our kitchen for 10-12 years now.

My brother has an expensive set, Henckels or something like that. They are very nice and very sharp.

I'm not sure how expensive a Cutco set is, but they are nice and so sharp that they scare me!

Another vote for Global knives. Superbly crafted and a good weight. Can be sharpened again and again without issue. We’ve had some for 15 years and they are as good as the day we bought them. A great investment.

I got my knives profesionally sharpened last year for like $5 a knife with pick up and drop off service and I haven't needed to get them re-done yet. The biggest things that would impact on how frequently you need to do it is how often you do it and what you cut/cut on. If you're hacking up some meat with a bunch of bones and going through the bone like with spare ribs you'd have to do it more frequently than if you were just slicing fish for example.

My brother has an expensive set, Henckels or something like that. They are very nice and very sharp.

I'm not sure how expensive a Cutco set is, but they are nice and so sharp that they scare me!
Cutco is stupid expensive although from what I've heard they have a stupid good warrantee to make up for it.

Back