Lunopapi

Reaction score
Backstory:
- returned to golf after laundry list of injuries so swing is a bit robotic from limited movement
- I’ve actually been hitting I’d say 75% fair to good shots big improvement since coming back. But I’m continuing to try and improve my swing. One thing I can’t quite figure out here is if I’m sitting in my driver swing too much. What do you guys think? This a still from a video at the range while addressing the ball.

eb24938805ac09600cb139c7ed2de885.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my only suggestion would be. don't choke up on the driver and this will allow you to stand up a little taller and not crouch over.

my only suggestion would be. don't choke up on the driver and this will allow you to stand up a little taller and not crouch over.

Haha yeah, I was wondering how long it would take someone to pick up on that. I’ve been choking it to control the hook for the mean time. Believe me I was choking more I’ve come back like 2-3 finger widths towards the end of the club. Maybe I should just go back to normal and correct everything as well as a can instead of doing that.

Do you have a video of the swing? Based solely on the address position, I'd say you could be a + handicap. (y)

Do you have a video of the swing? Based solely on the address position, I'd say you could be a + handicap. (y)

I do but I was trying to figure out the best way to upload it here outside of YouTube. I’ve played a fair bit since a kid but this past 5-8 years have been very minimal golf maybe a handful of games a year. And now with all the injuries my swing is well hard. Knowing what I want to do is one thing. But being able to physically do it is another haha.

I do but I was trying to figure out the best way to upload it here outside of YouTube. I’ve played a fair bit since a kid but this past 5-8 years have been very minimal golf maybe a handful of games a year. And now with all the injuries my swing is well hard. Knowing what I want to do is one thing. But being able to physically do it is another haha.

Try using the mobile browser, not tapatalk, click the camera icon and upload it that way. If it gives you trouble, try condensing the video to its shortest time. I think usually less than 45 seconds is ideal.

Try using the mobile browser, not tapatalk, click the camera icon and upload it that way. If it gives you trouble, try condensing the video to its shortest time. I think usually less than 45 seconds is ideal.

Will give it a go thanks!

Looks like a great swing!

If your biggest issue is hooks, it seems that your hips/lower body is stalling at impact, causing the face to close down. Try getting your belt buckle turned more towards the target at impact.

This is Rory on the left at impact and you at impact. See how much more turn he has in his hips? The less turn, the more that ball will go left as it encourages those hands to close the face. Best way to practice this is to put an alignment stick through your front belt buckle loops and practice getting that alignment stick pointing towards the ball at impact. Hope this helps some!
compare1.png

Looks like a great swing!

If your biggest issue is hooks, it seems that your hips/lower body is stalling at impact, causing the face to close down. Try getting your belt buckle turned more towards the target at impact.

Thanks, so much to work on to get back to decent golf though. Rotation is my hardest thing with my injuries and the body getting cranky quickly. But with more and more practice and games in I should
Be able to play a full round without too much discomfort soon!

That’s a really solid point, thank you very much for taking the time to look at it and help I appreciate it a lot

Edit - just saw your post with Rory swing aswell that really shows it thank you. Now to see if my body will actually rotate that much haha!

i agree with the others...get those hips moving and less arms. still a nice strong looking swing

If we got you to rotate a touch better, it would solve a lot of your issues...and you'd absolutely crush the ball and have less strain on your back and left knee. But first you need to stand taller in your SetUp. I think it would go a long way for you to try to get into the ground more and have a feeling like your arms stay back. You heave your massive shoulders towards the ball, lose all your angles, and then push hard off your left leg. That's causing you to do the aforementioned. It's a lot, I know, but you're going to have to break it up a bit to work through the changes.

[Sidebar: I'm not sure if you're aiming right, or if that's the camera angle. Head over to our site, setup a login and check out how to video your swing. That will be a big help for me trying to evaluate what you've got going on.]

This is Rory on the left at impact and you at impact. See how much more turn he has in his hips? The less turn, the more that ball will go left as it encourages those hands to close the face. Best way to practice this is to put an alignment stick through your front belt buckle loops and practice getting that alignment stick pointing towards the ball at impact. Hope this helps some!
View attachment 8959249
@Lunopapi has completely lost all connection with the ground here, and is in the opposite position as his SetUp. @Lunopapi, use this pic as a model for your SetUp, and then get into the ground like your current SetUp, and that will solve some of your issues. Start tall, and then get into the ground. You have it reversed.

It's all looking very promising! (y)
I think your posture looks ok, especially if you have injuries, and it is what it is (I'm on this same kind of injury journey back myself right now and for many years post car accident, stroke, etc..)

Lotta people if they start to hook, they start setting up farther and farther right to guard against it. Unfortunately, this IS the setup for over the top.
Gotta get the feet and shoulders to both be pointing slightly left of target, and the clubface pointed at the target.
At the top, you look so solid, that you'll be able to swing as hard as you are able if we can just get ya set up and pointed in the right direction.

Lotta older golfers with swing issues and less swing speed often use LONGER drivers, and do it with good tempo and letting the club do a lot of the work. So I'm not on board with the idea your driver is overly long. But maybe stand a little further from the ball if you're feeling cramped and need more room to clear with the swing. I think I'd move you back from the ball just a tad. Choking up won't affect posture at all if you prefer doing it.
I'd say tinker with the idea of how soft you can swing and see how far the ball still goes. You look strong, so I doubt distance is an issue for you.

If we got you to rotate a touch better, it would solve a lot of your issues...and you'd absolutely crush the ball and have less strain on your back and left knee. But first you need to stand taller in your SetUp. I think it would go a long way for you to try to get into the ground more and have a feeling like your arms stay back. You heave your massive shoulders towards the ball, lose all your angles, and then push hard off your left leg. That's causing you to do the aforementioned. It's a lot, I know, but you're going to have to break it up a bit to work through the changes.

[Sidebar: I'm not sure if you're aiming right, or if that's the camera angle. Head over to our site, setup a login and check out how to video your swing. That will be a big help for me trying to evaluate what you've got going on.]

Thanks so much for you input, I feel after looking at it the standing taller is definitely something I’m gonna need to address pretty quickly.

Rotation is always going to be my struggle, I have 80% of my left leg with metal replacements, and crushed vertebrae in my lower back. But with lots of time and continued pushing rotation and flexibility i feel I can get much better than I currently am.

Gonna definitely take that whole other paragraph of fixes with angles and everything to thought and work on trying to fix that! Really good feedback I do appreciate it a lot.

I’ve also slimmed down about 30kg of muscle mostly due to my injuries over the last few years. Used to be a fridge trying to hit a ball haha.

Oh I was aiming right haha I was a couple bays from the end of the left so I straight drive would put the ball straight into the extra netting they have.

Thanks so much for you input, I feel after looking at it the standing taller is definitely something I’m gonna need to address pretty quickly.

Rotation is always going to be my struggle, I have 80% of my left leg with metal replacements, and crushed vertebrae in my lower back. But with lots of time and continued pushing rotation and flexibility i feel I can get much better than I currently am.

Gonna definitely take that whole other paragraph of fixes with angles and everything to thought and work on trying to fix that! Really good feedback I do appreciate it a lot.

I’ve also slimmed down about 30kg of muscle mostly due to my injuries over the last few years. Used to be a fridge trying to hit a ball haha.

Oh I was aiming right haha I was a couple bays from the end of the left so I straight drive would put the ball straight into the extra netting they have.

Standing taller at address will really help you rotate more and if you use your hips to open up a bit, it will relieve some strain on your back. If you keep slamming up off your left knee like you're doing, golf will be a 'no go' for you long term. 🤷‍♂️

It's all looking very promising! (y)
I think your posture looks ok, especially if you have injuries, and it is what it is (I'm on this same kind of injury journey back myself right now and for many years post car accident, stroke, etc..)

Lotta people if they start to hook, they start setting up farther and farther right to guard against it. Unfortunately, this IS the setup for over the top.
Gotta get the feet and shoulders to both be pointing slightly left of target, and the clubface pointed at the target.
At the top, you look so solid, that you'll be able to swing as hard as you are able if we can just get ya set up and pointed in the right direction.

Lotta older golfers with swing issues and less swing speed often use LONGER drivers, and do it with good tempo and letting the club do a lot of the work. So I'm not on board with the idea your driver is overly long. But maybe stand a little further from the ball if you're feeling cramped and need more room to clear with the swing. I think I'd move you back from the ball just a tad. Choking up won't affect posture at all if you prefer doing it.
I'd say tinker with the idea of how soft you can swing and see how far the ball still goes. You look strong, so I doubt distance is an issue for you.

I’ve started going back through my old Ben Hogan’s 5 steps book and trying to adjust everything from the start. But I know exactly what you mean about setting up different for the hook, I’ve been very guilty of that in the past! I think a lot of my hook actually came from too strong of a grip even after changing that it made a huge difference. I will give the feet pointing slightly left of the target and club straight a go and see what happens thanks for that tip!

I swear everytime I go to the range to work on my swing I’m telling myself in my head swing slow swing slow and then all of a sudden there is no slow hahaha!

Standing taller at address will really help you rotate more and if you use your hips to open up a bit, it will relieve some strain on your back. If you keep slamming up off your left knee like you're doing, golf will be a 'no go' for you long term.

Yeah man, I’m gonna start trying to put that into practice. I’ve been doing a lot of flexibility work in general which should help as well. Not quiet ready for the body to completely give up on me yet! Thanks any tips on how to stop pushing off the left knee so aggressively, or will standing taller just sort of force me to do that?

Thanks, so much to work on to get back to decent golf though. Rotation is my hardest thing with my injuries and the body getting cranky quickly. But with more and more practice and games in I should
Be able to play a full round without too much discomfort soon!

That’s a really solid point, thank you very much for taking the time to look at it and help I appreciate it a lot

Edit - just saw your post with Rory swing aswell that really shows it thank you. Now to see if my body will actually rotate that much haha!

Check this video out. Part 2 (~8:00) of this is hip clearing.

That explains it really well actually! I think I’ll go back and watch the whole video I did skip to the 8 minute mark to see what you meant thanks a lot!

That explains it really well actually! I think I’ll go back and watch the whole video I did skip to the 8 minute mark to see what you meant thanks a lot!

Everyone always talks about hip turn and to me that was harder to implement than clearing/opening the lead hip

Everyone always talks about hip turn and to me that was harder to implement than clearing/opening the lead hip

Yeah if definitely makes it a bit easier as the push back movement to understand. And the guy explains it really well. Simple drills to make it muscle memory too!

Please, Please, Please, don't do or try this, or any other videos you see on YouTube ad hoc. You're already pushing off your left leg really hard, and odds are, you'll keep doing it the same way. And you don't want to be that far on your left side, but do what you want.

Please, Please, Please, don't do or try this, or any other videos you see on YouTube ad hoc. You're already pushing off your left leg really hard, and odds are, you'll keep doing it the same way. And you don't want to be that far on your left side, but do what you want.

For me it's not about pushing off my left hard enough, but getting to that side quick enough (hence when I hit it fat or hit too far behind the ball).

Back