Knit Golf Shoes/Injury (Graphic)

-CRW-

Reaction score
I’ve had terrible luck this year with Adidas ForgeFiber Boa shoes. My pair had the boost foam blow out and it took 3 months to get a return credit from Adidas because of Covid and their staff not working.

Now, my son destroyed one of his. He was riding with my wife in a cart behind me Friday and stuck his foot out of the cart after I’ve told him numerous times that is a good way to break a foot. She drove too close to the curb and his foot got stuck in between the golf cart and a curb. It ripped through his shoe and the top layer of his foot. The shoes are trashed and his foot may be broken too. I’m going to take him this week for an x-ray as he still can’t put weight on it.

This isn’t a knock on these specific Adidas, but knit shoes in general. They offered no real protection at all. I couldn’t believe the material just completely ripped away like that.

It’s also a good reminder to keep your hands and feet inside vehicles/golf carts at all times.

Pictures of shoe and injury attached.

Attachments

• 7F0E34BD-2425-4FE4-9C83-B80AD29932DC.jpeg
    7F0E34BD-2425-4FE4-9C83-B80AD29932DC.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 48
  • E9DD876E-D36E-452F-A439-57DF6C8E5E61.jpeg
    E9DD876E-D36E-452F-A439-57DF6C8E5E61.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 6992DBC9-44EA-4B7C-B664-E146036A6C71.jpeg
    6992DBC9-44EA-4B7C-B664-E146036A6C71.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 46
That's terrible. I would assume that any form of lightweight knit shoe isn't designed for protection but comfort. Either way. I don't know if any golf shoe would have done a much better job to protect it from possibly being broken but that is a nasty scrape. It certainly does look painful. It will definitely make me think more about being cautious in the cart since I always wear my Nike Roshe shoes in dry conditions.

I don’t think any shoe would protect from a break, but I do think the road rash would not have occurred with shoes that had a leather or solid synthetic upper/tongue.

If air can get through, a curb can get through.

Smart people learn from their mistakes, really smart people learn from the advice and mistakes of others. Sounds like your son learned from his mistake instead of listening to you.

wow, sorry to hear about your son's misfortune. I have a pair of what I think are knit shoes from Calloway. I never really thought about it, but the material does indeed seem a bit flimsy. I guess its a tradeoff between light weight and comfort vs sturdy and safety.

Smart people learn from their mistakes, really smart people learn from the advice and mistakes of others. Sounds like your son learned from his mistake instead of listening to you.
Right. My wife was upset because she feels like it’s her fault and didn’t understand why I was upset with my son. I’ve told him no less than 10 times not to do it. He did have to use money from his savings to buy a new pair of golf shoes.

Ouch, thankfully I don't use buggies

Although I don't think many shoes would have protected his foot

That would mess up a round of golf. I hope I can be one of the smarter ones and learn from your advice to keep your feet in the cart while it's moving.

That's terrible. I would assume that any form of lightweight knit shoe isn't designed for protection but comfort. Either way. I don't know if any golf shoe would have done a much better job to protect it from possibly being broken but that is a nasty scrape. It certainly does look painful. It will definitely make me think more about being cautious in the cart since I always wear my Nike Roshe shoes in dry conditions.
I think that most golf carts have that warning posted, but who reads the caveat.

I’ve had terrible luck this year with Adidas ForgeFiber Boa shoes. My pair had the boost foam blow out and it took 3 months to get a return credit from Adidas because of Covid and their staff not working.

Now, my son destroyed one of his. He was riding with my wife in a cart behind me Friday and stuck his foot out of the cart after I’ve told him numerous times that is a good way to break a foot. She drove too close to the curb and his foot got stuck in between the golf cart and a curb. It ripped through his shoe and the top layer of his foot. The shoes are trashed and his foot may be broken too. I’m going to take him this week for an x-ray as he still can’t put weight on it.

This isn’t a knock on these specific Adidas, but knit shoes in general. They offered no real protection at all. I couldn’t believe the material just completely ripped away like that.

It’s also a good reminder to keep your hands and feet inside vehicles/golf carts at all times.

Pictures of shoe and injury attached.
God speed and I hope your son heals quickly.
The wires in BOA shoes always looked dangerous to me. Had no idea they could be this bad. But I always avoided them. Wire on your feet is dangerous. I thought leather was suspect, but definitely mesh and wire.

Same feet out of the cart injury happened to the Chairman of a company I worked for (minus the BOA shoes.)
If your foot catches the ground or whatever while moving, also a great way to shred some knee ligaments. I think he did that as well.
Be safe out there people!

I think that most golf carts have that warning posted, but who reads the caveat.
Reminds me of the South Park episode where everyone agrees to be part of a human centipad when agreeing to Apple’s terms and services.

Damn that sucks, hope his tlrecovery goes well.

Not sure even if a traditional shoe would have made a difference, but maybe less injury

That said there's something to be jokes about for future about moms driving

Hope it isn't broken and he heals quickly. That looks like it will hurt for a while.

I don’t think any shoe would protect from a break, but I do think the road rash would not have occurred with shoes that had a leather or solid synthetic upper/tongue.
think about why motorcycle riders (the smart ones at least) wear leather 🤔

I hope he heals quickly!

The knit trend is crazy. I hope something better looking and more durable comes along soon as the new trend.

Best wishes to OP's son, hope the injury heals up quickly and fully. Getting a foot caught between a golf cart and a curb is a nasty proposition, glad to hear the injury wasn't worse.

think about why motorcycle riders (the smart ones at least) wear leather 🤔
I've never equated the risk level of golf with that of riding motorcycles. Maybe I should get a pair of these for golf:

boot.jpg

Last edited:
Back