Best way to keep my knives sharp

haqeha7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Store them in air?

Haha I jest, what kind of system are you using? I've seen a few Spyderco ones and a wicked edge one

Store them in air?

Haha I jest, what kind of system are you using? I've seen a few Spyderco ones and a wicked edge one

A lansky system, a while ago i accidentally screwed up the black kabar's point, it was badly sharpened, and today I reprofiled the whole edge and finally fixed it, the thing about these 9 inch blades is that I have to separate sharpening into to sections because if I don't, I screw up the tip angle, learned the hard way lol

Knives

The newly profiles edge looks fantastic, I totally fixed this stupid knife hahah

e2a9ure7.jpg

Compare it to the picture a few posts up, the angle on the tip was way off so the edge was really wide,
I finally fixed it and it's razor sharp

What do you all use to keep your knives sharp? I've had the lansky system for years and it has kept my numerous knives sharp. It does a good job sharpening 1090 steel which is a pain in the butt to reprofile

Arkansas stones, and sharpening stick

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I have a knife on me at all times. Today its a benchmade triage 915, but I have several spyderco, kershaw, and crkt knives. My collection is constanly growing. From edcs to a few fixed blades. Looking a getting a wicked edge sharpener too.

/thread resurrection.

I just bought a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition knife sharpener.
Tested it out tonight on two of the world's worst knives, made from probably the worst stainless you can find that were as sharp as baseball bats to start out with. After probably 10 minutes on each knife they are now equivalent to semi-dull knives and can cut tomatoes. They are no hand forged Japanese chef's knife, but the improvement is very noticeable.

I hope that with better steel, a better edge will form, with more practice. Currently my Buck ErgoHunter with S30V is the best knife and steel in the house, but it's still basically brand new so i don't want to experiment on it until I've got quite a few more knives under my belt.

I set these paring knives to 20 degrees since that's what the book said and a fatter edge like that is more appropriate for the use of a paring knife. Next up will be two old chef-type knives (twins) that my dad has from 30 years ago that are also about as sharp as baseball bats. I will put one to 20 and one to 15 as an experiment to see what works best.

Hobbies in life:
1. Golf
2. Watching sports/Netflix/James Bond
3. Watches
4. Knives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My EDC since December 2014 is a ZT 0566. There is nothing I don't like about it.

My EDC since December 2014 is a ZT 0566. There is nothing I don't like about it.

My usual edc is a bradley alias 2. I love this knife and have become a big fan of the S30v steel because of it. How is the elmax steel and can you compare to the s30v?

My usual edc is a bradley alias 2. I love this knife and have become a big fan of the S30v steel because of it. How is the elmax steel and can you compare to the s30v?
I don't know if the Elmax is "better". I've had a few knives with S30V and it is a solid steel also. I think any of the wonder steels are very similar because of the manufacturing process. The Elmax retains an edge well and the balde looks as good as the day I got it.
Its almost as bad a golf equipment...S30V came out and then it was S35V, then something else...I'd rather have AUS 8 over some Chinese stuff in a cheaper knife, but any of the wonder steels are all good, IMO.

I don't know much about them but my father in law was a collector. He had hundreds of them. They were left to his son. It is my understanding that pocket knives can be very valuable.

I've always carried around some form of a pocket knife, as I've aged it has become more of a multi tool, but always small enough to fit in my front pocket, right now I'd like to change to something but I'm curious what other's carry or have used, I need it to have the basics, blade, screwdriver or 2, I'd like a pliers and/or scissors, but also a nice bottle opener, I had a gerber for a while I liked, but no pliers or scissors.

Recommendations?

I'm not really sure on the multi tool format there's a ton of small or tiny options although most I've found aren't very strong or sturdy enough the way I use them.

I carry a case pocket knife and an Lt. Wright in a holster and can open a beer with both ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always carried around some form of a pocket knife, as I've aged it has become more of a multi tool, but always small enough to fit in my front pocket, right now I'd like to change to something but I'm curious what other's carry or have used, I need it to have the basics, blade, screwdriver or 2, I'd like a pliers and/or scissors, but also a nice bottle opener, I had a gerber for a while I liked, but no pliers or scissors.

Recommendations?
From a lot of what I've read, the Gerber multi tool is fantastic.

As an edc, I just added a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It's............sharp.

From a lot of what I've read, the Gerber multi tool is fantastic.

As an edc, I just added a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. It's............sharp.

My small tool was them. I'm thinking a Gerber Dime is the way I'm leaning.
1606adedcbfdacffbce76da84bad6ccb.jpg

Back