Knocking the rust off

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
What Is the last to return from the previous season and what never left.
It has always been my understanding that the short game or the touch portion of the game is the first to go and last to return. Is this the case for you guys?

What usually takes the longest to return and how long? What do you do to compensate? What can you always depend on to stay?

For me it's my long irons that tend to run and hide after an extended time away for the game. My short game tends to stick around as does my tee game.

My short game for sure. After taking 3 or so weeks off for Christmas my short game was awful.

For me it is everything more less. I never play from November to late March or April, so it takes a week or two to get things going again. Normally I do fine after just a few rounds and a couple of range sessions. Short game and putting is the big thing for me. Just takes a little time to get the feel back.

short iron come back first, then long irons, then putting...for some reason my driver always comes back slow

It's getting to that time again, so I'm preparing for the yearly restart from zero.

Really, as I age and pork up, it's the legs that drive the shape of my game. I need to walk a month or so of rounds (call it 12) to get the legs back in game shape to power everything else. That mainly manifests in the driver / long irons.

From an actual technique perspective, I lose the short short game. I mean the delicate little chips and pitches, up to maybe 40y. That takes a while to come back, probably 6-8 rounds until I've hit the common shots enough to feel better about them.
Putting also takes a while, no matter how much carpet I flatten. That never gets good, but I hit my standard level of bad in maybe 3 weeks.

3 wood, mid-short irons, hybrid...a bit off, but not a concern given what the rest of the game is like to start the year. If my first shot of the season HAD to be good, I'd pull a 7i. That's usually good from the start.

For me it's chipping and feel around the greens. Everything else comes back rather quick.

Distance control, in every aspect of the game.

That, along with the confidence in my putting as the greens are awful in early season.

mid-short irons were still there, but off the tee and short game....well, those need time.

Short game is typically the last thing to come back. Anything that relies on feel usually takes a few practice sessions and rounds to come back together.

For me, I'd say my putting is the first thing to go, followed by my tee game.

I played Friday and it was the first time in 3 months that I had swung a club. Surprisingly, the short game was solid. I had good feel on and around the greens. It was the long clubs for me. The driver, fairway wood and hybrids were all over the place. I'll make sure to work on the longer clubs when I start going to the range but I'm hoping the long game comes back after a couple range sessions.

For me its the short game that runs away, even though I play year round when all the grass goes dormant around here it gets quite tough and you have to change the way you play those little chips and runners.

The thing that never leaves me now is my putting, SPi is to credit for that.

Right now after two rounds my driver is absolutely killing me. My driving is usually my strong suit but right now I'm catching everything on the bottom of the face and hitting low line drives. Never gone through this type of funk and no idea how to fix it.

Not really the short game, but the mid/short iron's. All of my full shots pretty much stay the same, but that 1/2 to 3/4 shot I need so bad after missing the green just take forever to get back together if at all.

For me it's my 3w through 6i. My driver is pretty consistently mediocre, my 7-wedges are always ok, and my putter is the only solid thing I've ever had. I didn't have to take near as much time off as a lot of the country but between work and weather I had to slow down a lot over the last 3-4 4 months. I think I've only managed to score in the 80's 3 times this year. Hopefully by next month I'll be able to get back to my practicing every day the two weeks I'm off a month and playing at least 8 rounds if not 12 every time as well.

Ball striking. Definitely. Short game never really leaves me. I feel confident from close any time of the year. I've spent so much time practicing my short game since I started playing golf that it's truly just second nature at this point.

Unfortunately, my ball striking never consistently stays with me. It's frustrating. I played my first round of the year this past Friday. Putted well. Played well around the greens. Had one heck of a time MAKING it around the greens. I didn't hit a shot outside of 100 yards that truly left me satisfied. I have days where I strike the ball really well and I have other days where my swing feels completely foreign.

And that's why I need to quit pretending that I know what the heck I'm doing and finally invest in some lessons.

My Woods to my 5i go to the dogs every time I have a break from the game. Driver, short game and putting seem to stick around just fine.

It all leaves. I feel like a lost pup after an extended time away. Tempo is all jacked up, I feel like I have no idea how to move my body, I just try to find little glimmers and work back into things.

Touch shots around the green. Mainly pitching. Rest of my short game (chipping putting and sand) all stay with me. Then I'd say accuracy with my irons. Driving usually stays with me all the time.

Personally it's long irons and short game. For some odd reason those are the two things that take the longest to get back. Also, distance. I know distance will be lost due to colder temps and such, but I seem to lose more distance all around than some of my friends/family.

Well this is my first "second" season, and what I am most struggling with out of the gates is my chipping. With my lessons, my swing is better than its ever been. But man my green-side game is horrendous

My first time golfing this year, my tee shots were all bad slices, disappointed with that since I was driving the ball ok at the end of last year.
My short game 8i- wedges were ok but a little off, with some flubs.
I am rolling a new putter this year and had some distance control issues. That will come around.

Right now, I think just having my swing synch up would help tons.
Next winter, my heated garage will have a net and practice pad installed, so that 80-100 swings a few times a week can take place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mine is getting a consistent ball flight back. I was playing a push draw all last year and have started this year with a push or push slice. It should come back with some reps though.

For me it's off the tee and mid/long irons that give me the biggest fits after not playing for a while. Everything else gives me trouble all the time hahaha

I have no idea what you guys are talking about....:confused2:

Back