Kobe Bryant Killed in a Helicopter Crash

Absolutely tragic. I didn’t even know or hear about it until earlier this evening. I put the phone away along with all other electronic devices.
Just can’t believe yesterday the news was talking about how LeBron would pass him on the scoring list.

What a horrible tragedy...sad day

Sad, such a tragedy for all the familie.

Terrible tragedy, RIP to everyone that lost their life today on that helicopter. It is never easy when we lose someone who has inspired millions of people worldwide, especially when it happens unexpectedly and in a tragic manner.

Ugh. Sending prayers out to his family. Can’t imagine...

RIP Mamba.

R. I. P.

He will be Missed

Very sad....Prayers for all who were involved.

Tragic. Couldn't believe it when heard about the accident while out on the course this afternoon.

RIP Black Mamba :(

These things don't normally effect me as much as this has. I am not even a big BB guy but this has gotten to me all day. Can't make sense of it or explain it.

So sad, 2 daughters 2 fathers (and others) gone:cry: RIP

Sounds like they crashed in heavy fog. What a bloody waste and tragedy that was probably completely avoidable.
The news struck he hard today but hearing about the weather has sickened me. Completely preventable.
A college coach, his wife and kid were also on board. Another assistant coach was on board. She left behind a husband and kids.
Terrible.

Still struggling to process this one. Heroes aren't supposed to die, and as a teenager, Kobe was definitely one of my heroes. He filled the hole left by MJ. He made some mistakes along the way, but who hasn't. This sucks.

Sad and crazy. I feel for his wife and the rest of his family. I will never understand why rich men always seem to want to own and fly helicopters.
From what I understood, Kobe didn't own it, and he didn't fly it. He has, for quite awhile, used a helicopter to commute. To him, hiring a helicopter to fly him to events was akin to us hailing a cab. The guy was loaded, and it's generally a safe method of travel. Certainly a lot quicker mode of travel in LA.

I never followed his career closely, had no interest, but he was obviously a skilled enough player to be well aware of his accomplishments. What truly struck me is that three young children now are without a father (and their older sister), a father who clearly doted on them. That is a hole that will reverberate for a long time to come. Also, he had really poured himself into the community and his charity work. He could have done tremendous good if his life had not been needlessly cut short (the pilot never should have taken off in that crummy weather). May all who died in that crash rest in peace.

Last edited:
From what I understood, Kobe didn't own it, and he didn't fly it. He has, for quite awhile, used a helicopter to commute. To him, hiring a helicopter to fly him to events was akin to us hailing a cab. The guy was loaded, and it's generally a safe method of travel. Certainly a lot quicker mode of travel in LA.

Exactly. Rex Chapman tweeted this bit of video earlier:

I still can't get over this. It affected me all day yesterday and still getting me today. I was never a big basketball fan but Kobe was different. I remember watching his 60 point finale and being the most hyped up I've ever been about a game of basketball. Everyone on that helicopter had so much more to do in this world. Man this sucks

CFIT. Controlled flight into terrain. That helicopter had no business taking off.

From TMZ but sounds about right:

“It was the weather.
TMZ reported, weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.
At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.
However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.”

This hurts and I still can’t shake it.

CFIT. Controlled flight into terrain. That helicopter had no business taking off.

“It was the weather.
TMZ reported, weather was extremely foggy Sunday morning, and law enforcement sources tell us even LAPD air support was grounded because of it. Flight tracker data shows Kobe's chopper appeared to first encounter weather issues as it was above the L.A. Zoo. It circled that area at least 6 times at a very low altitude -- around 875 feet -- perhaps waiting for the fog to clear.

We know the pilot contacted the control tower at Burbank Airport around 9:30 AM PT, and the tower was aware the pilot had been circling for about 15 minutes. The pilot eventually headed north along the 118 freeway before turning to the west, and started following above the 101 freeway around Woodland Hills, CA.
At around 9:40 AM they encounter more weather -- as in seriously heavy fog -- and the chopper turned south. This was critical, because they turned toward a mountainous area. The pilot suddenly and rapidly climbed from about 1200 feet up to 2000 feet.
However, moments later -- around 9:45 AM -- they flew into a mountain at 1700 feet. Flight tracker data shows they were flying at about 161 knots.”

This pisses me off. I really appreciate your feedback and experience when it comes to things like this. I feel for those left behind, even more now, knowing that this was preventable. A mechanical failure would have been a tragic accident, but what you described sounds like a fatal mistake. Sounds like, with a little more caution, we would still have those 9 people with us today.

“It was the weather.

Helicopters move it, but like... This is like driving 85mph when it’s downpouring out and you can barely see in front of you. FFS...

“It was the weather.

It may be a little more complicated, it sounds like they tried to climb to get above clouds, and then may have had some type of mechanical. They were descending at 4000 ft/minute at impact.

As with all things, it may be best to avoid conclusion until after all of the information is complete.

So sad as something so normal for him and his family results in such a tragedy. I know I always tell my wife and bubba I love them when I leave the house, go to sleep or hang up the phone. It seems exhaustive or over done to many, but for situations like this.... tomorrow is not guaranteed and live in the now.

Extremely sad situation for everyone that was involved. Kobe was an unbelievable player and competitor and has been sorely missed on the court since he retired. I wish any or all of my Timberwolf players had even an ounce of his talent and drive.

I just read that TMZ out out the story before the family knew or were able to be notified by authorities. ******* scum of the earth.
I stand by what I said yesterday, much of what is wrong in today’s society news creation and consumption wise is the fault of TMZ.

I stand by what I said yesterday, much of what is wrong in today’s society news creation and consumption wise is the fault of TMZ.
agreed. Kobe's family *might* have known prior to the reporting, but the other families devastated by this surely did not.

And for the most part it started with the Tiger scandal. They reported it first and the “main stream” news media didn’t jump on it bc no one knew or thought TMZ would have that kind of “scoop”. Ever since the. It’s “we’ll throw **** on twitter just to be first and correct later if we have to”

The first I saw of Kobe's death was on my twitter feed and it was from TMZ who I do not follow. I blew it off because of the source. It was at least tenty minutes until I saw it again on a more credible source. Perhaps instead of credible the word should be decent or compassionate source.

Back