Kobe: Top 10 best?

Evok

Don't worry, Be happy!
Reaction score
Handicap
So I saw an article on espn saying that Kobe is not one of the 10 best of all time. Thought it would be fun to start a discussion, yes or no?
Let's keep it civil and based on his stats on the court.

Top 10?
Not to me, but he's close.

Kobe: Top 10 best?

I don't think so. But I also haven't been a fan of the NBA in about 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the court? Maybe, it's close. But as an athlete and human, I think he's been a mess for far too long to be considered 'great'

I don't think so. But I also haven't been a fan of the NBA in about 15 years

For what it's worth, I don't think Kobe's been a fan for a while either hahaha!

Top 10?
Not to me, but he's close.
That's my take as well. Hard to not put him up there but damn there's some legends pushing him down the list.

I think he has a pretty good case to be considered Top 10 as of right now, however I don't think he'd be very high up on that list (maybe 9th or 10th).

I haven't watched hardly any NBA since the early 2000's. So I'm by no means questioning everyone's opinion that he is outside of the top 10. But from what I saw early in his career, and everything I have seen in the media, I'm shocked it is even questionable. It doesn't seem like that long ago people were comparing his career to MJ's.

Close but no cigar

IF he is in the top 10, he's in the back end of it. I'm not sure he is top 10.

Off the top of my head, in no order. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russel, Baylor, Wilt, West, Oscar Robinson, Kareem. That's 9.

Top 10 lists are so hard because you've got X number of spots that have to be filled by obvious selections - Magic, Kareem, Jordan, etc. and you have to compare players from different positions and eras.

I think Kobe is the 2nd best 2 guard ever and by a large margin. It's unfortunate for his legacy that Jordan played the same position. It's also unfortunate for his legacy that he played about 3 years too many. Just like with Bird, people remember the end more than his prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crap, don't forget Kyle Korver

I was born in 1985, so I cannot speak on a huge bulk of players. He is absolutely, positively one of the 10 best I have ever witnessed.

IF he is in the top 10, he's in the back end of it. I'm not sure he is top 10.

Off the top of my head, in no order. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russel, Baylor, Wilt, West, Oscar Robinson, Kareem. That's 9.

And your list does not have quite a few really great players including current league best Lebron.
I never really viewed Bryant as the best in the league by a large margin in any era he was in. He also didnt have the "It" factor that Bird, Magic, Russel and Jordan had. Where losing mattered more.

I would not have Bayler or West in there either however.

There is definitely an argument and it depends on your criteria. It gets so muddled after the top 2-3 players that ranks 4-15 can almost be interchangeable.

In no order:
Jordan
Chamberlain
Abdul-Jabbar
Magic
Hakeem
Duncan
LeBron
Jordan
Shaq
Russell
Oscar
Bird
Kobe

And your list does not have quite a few really great players including current league best Lebron.
I never really viewed Bryant as the best in the league by a large margin in any era he was in. He also didnt have the "It" factor that Bird, Magic, Russel and Jordan had.

I would not have Bayler or West in there either however.

Correct. I didn't include guys still playing, because Duncan can make a strong case to crack that top 10.

There is definitely an argument and it depends on your criteria. It gets so muddled after the top 2-3 players that ranks 4-15 can almost be interchangeable.

In no order:
Jordan
Chamberlain
Abdul-Jabbar
Magic
Hakeem
Duncan
LeBron
Jordan
Shaq
Russell
Oscar
Bird
I was just about to ask about Shaq. I saw some others on fb making the argument for him as well. Certainly was a beast

If I had to make a list of the 10 best ever:

1) Airness
2) Magic
3) Kyle Korver
4) Lebron
5) Wilt
6) Bill Russell
7) Shaq
8) Dolph Schayes
9) John Stockton (yeah I said it)
10) Tim Duncan

then maybe Kobe at 11.

are you saying just based on points?

No, but scoring is big. Top 15 steals, and top 30 in asst.

He could guard on the other end as well, he was given the toughest defensive assignment on the court most games. He has one of the best complete games in my mind. Jordan was a better 2 guard, I don't think there is anyone else who was better than Kobe at that position.

No, but scoring is big. Top 15 steals, and top 30 in asst.

He could guard on the other end as well, he was given the toughest defensive assignment on the court most games. He has one of the best complete games in my mind. Jordan was a better 2 guard, I don't think there is anyone else who was better than Kobe at that position.

Top 30 in assists because of how long he played of course, not because he was an incredible distributor of the basketball. I would bet he doesnt crack the top 100 in per game.

Yes, He probably is one of the 10 best, but I seriously despise the guy.

Bill Simmons' Book of Basketball does a good job ranking and sorting players out while considering their eras, teams, etc. I forget where he put Kobe, but I remember he had this one chapter where he talks about who you want on a team if you had to assemble a team to play for the fate of civilization. Simmons was emphatic Kobe had to be on that team and I agree. His obsessiveness with winning, ability to take over games, and his acumen on offense and defense make set him apart from many.

Off the top of my head, here are players you need ahead of him.

MJ
Russell
Oscar
Bird
Magic
Duncan
Kareem
Shaq
Wilt

So maybe 10, but when all is said and done with Lebron, he probably takes a spot in there anyways.

So I'd say Kobe is definitely in the top 15 and you could make a case for him in the bottom of the top 10, but not higher than that IMO.

Top 30 in assists because of how long he played of course, not because he was an incredible distributor of the basketball. I would bet he doesnt crack the top 100 in per game.

As a shooting guard, I would hope not. But he drew a crowd and every now and again recognized that other guys were open.

IMO, Kobe is absolutely Top 10 all time. He has the stats and he absolutely has the intangibles, no one works harder for perfection more than Kobe. A lot of folks hold his star teammates against him, what superstar didn't have all stars around him? Kobe is the man and it sucks to see him go out not on top.

you are correct 118, 30 spots below Jordan.

I have long argued that Magic is by far the most complete basketball player of all time. He is #1 APG.

Full discloser, I am a Lakers fan. Arguing that Magic was a better all around player than MJ provided me hours of fun growing up in the land of Bulls fans.

Back