Koepka vs McIlroy

This is what karma does to you when you go from talking smack about Rory to getting beat by your brother who doesn't even have a tour card.

Any chance, we get lucky, he is going to be out for the season?

This is a fascinating tale to me.

Saw this McIlroy quote from the skins post-match:

“What Brooks said wasn’t wrong. He’s been the best player in the world the last couple of years, four majors…,” McIlroy said.

“I don’t think he had to remind me that I hadn’t won one in a while but I love Brooks, he’s a great guy, obviously super competitive like we all are.

“If you take what Brooks said out of context then obviously it can become this big thing it has become but Brooks and I are good, we are good friends and I’ve been really happy for him to see how good he has played over the last couple of years.”

I wish they would both just shut up, stop feeding the troll (media) and settle it on the course. Actions speak louder than words.

I wish they would both just shut up, stop feeding the troll (media) and settle it on the course. Actions speak louder than words.

Rory was responding to a question an on-course reporter asked while walking to his next his shot at the Japan Skins challenge. They have these types of events to allow fans with more access to players thoughts/comments during the round, so responding with "no comment" wouldn't have exactly been ideal. I personally thought he handled the question pretty well.

“What Brooks said wasn’t wrong. He’s been the best player in the world the last couple of years, four majors…,” McIlroy said.

“I don’t think he had to remind me that I hadn’t won one in a while but I love Brooks, he’s a great guy, obviously super competitive like we all are.

“If you take what Brooks said out of context then obviously it can become this big thing it has become but Brooks and I are good, we are good friends and I’ve been really happy for him to see how good he has played over the last couple of years.”

Just a clarification, It was not post-match, he was asked the question during the match.

Settle it on the course? We setting up a boxing ring here or another Phil vs. Tiger fiasco?

Rory was responding to a question an on-course reporter asked while walking to his next his shot at the Japan Skins challenge. They have these types of events to allow fans with more access to players thoughts/comments during the round, so responding with "no comment" wouldn't have exactly been ideal. I personally thought he handled the question pretty well.

McIlroy said after the FedEx Cup win, it was his revenge for Koepka's win at St Jude's in Memphis.

They are both feeding the troll. Just shut up and play golf.

Just shut up and play golf.

I believe they have obligations to the media, no? Not exactly sure how they can just shut up and not talk to them.

Just a clarification, It was not post-match, he was asked the question during the match.

Rors is my favorite interview - keeps it real, but also can toe the line, but always comes off genuine, bet he wins a Major in 2020

Settle it on the course? We setting up a boxing ring here or another Phil vs. Tiger fiasco?

No, just play golf, with mouths shut, (y)

Do you remember how Arnie, Jack, Lee, Tom and Gary did it? This is how it should be done. In my humble opinion.

No, just play golf, with mouths shut, (y)

Do you remember how Arnie, Jack, Lee, Tom and Gary did it? This is how it should be done. In my humble opinion.

I don't think golf media coverage is comparable between then and now. It's not like these guys are throwing curse words at one another during press conferences.

I believe they have obligations to the media, no? Not exactly sure how they can just shut up and not talk to them.

Not in my opinion. Just tell the media, that the next tournament may shed more light on the situation. End of interview. Golf performance at the same events together tells the story. And over a longer period of time, the history is cast in concrete.

I'll add that to me, this "drama", he said/he said, is completely unnecessary. As a matter of fact, it turns me off.

Not in my opinion. Just tell the media, that the next tournament may shed more light on the situation. End of interview. Golf performance at the same events together tells the story. And over a longer period of time, the history is cast in concrete.

That's not really how it works.

Also, didn't Jack openly talk about how he had on-going rivalries with the other guys from that era?

Also, didn't Jack openly talk about how he had on-going rivalries with the other guys from that era?

Haha at professional sports with no athletes ever speaking.

You are dead right, Jack used to only light up when talking about rivalries or how awesome he was. Arnold Palmer basically invented the golf media and coverage as we know it. Gary Player will talk for hours to media (always has) and has to GG and I when all we asked him was how his game was. This sounds more like revisions based on fond memories :ROFLMAO:

I like the trash talk banter back and forth, whether it comes out raw (e.g., Koepka ) or diplomatic (e.g., McIlroy ). To play and win at that level, they have a massive competitive fire on the inside. I like getting a glimpse of the heat. I am also hoping the two of them are paired together in a final round this year. Ideally that's a major but any tournament would be a fun watch. Golf needs more of this. I know people who watch PGA Tour golf on Sundays as background for taking a nap.

Boo, we don't want Rory taking the high road and being the bigger adult. C'mon tweet back and make this a real rivalry.

Didn't know there was a specific way on how it had to work. I think it works on how we (collective we) want to make it work. If we push for "drama" and he said/he said and hits on social media and reactions and so on, that's what we're seeing. My opinion is, it should be steered back to being more traditional, a highly competitive... gentlemen's game.

Yes, Jack did talk about rivalries and he/they talked about how much they loved the competition between themselves. Rivalries are fine. The difference was/is... they did it in a gentlemanly way. No arrogant stuff from Jack and Arnie. I don't see that now, especially from Koepka. McIlroy gets more credit for being more refined at how he has said things recently.

I just went back on YouTube trying to find trash talking between Palmer and Nicklaus, because I couldn't remember any in real time back in the day. I couldn't find any incidents, maybe because there wasn't any. Palmer was a stickler about appearance and the integrity of the gentleman's game. Jack, was highly driven to be the best. 18 Major wins, 18 2nd place finishes and so on... I don't know Player as well, Lee was definitely a talker and if I had to guess, did talk smack but likely in a jokingly nicer way. Tom was a quiet and guarded man. No way he talked smack about another player. Met him at the '83 Ryder Cup and he was awesome. Met Jack three times in the 80's and he was a complete gentleman.

Not seeing this with Koepka. His attitude is not what I want to see in professional golf going forward. Hopefully he figures it out and reels it back in, because I recognize his talent. He'd definitely be better off to zip it and let his sticks do the talking. So far, not so good in the early part of the new season though.

I said I believe, but you left that out. That is by definition meaning I am not sure if they do or not. However, I believe, that they have obligations to speak to the media. If they don't that is fine. I just thought they did. Either by the PGA tour or their sponsors.

I can't wait for a Rory/Brooks final group pairing this year, especially in a major, maybe the masters!!!

I said I believe, but you left that out. That is by definition meaning I am not sure if they do or not. However, I believe, that they have obligations to speak to the media. If they don't that is fine. I just thought they did. Either by the PGA tour or their sponsors.

With the money that is involved in the game these days I would say with almost 100% certainty they have some sort of media commitment, similar to professional athletes in the other major sports.

Brooks has 14 world wide wins. Rory has 33. There is no rivalry. Brooks is #1 in the world right now and no one is talking about him. That drives him crazy. For someone who claims they do not like media attention, he does a pretty good job of getting himself in the media. Brandel, Rory, Bryson, etc. are all examples of a pattern beginning to develop.

Brooks has 14 world wide wins. Rory has 33. There is no rivalry. Brooks is #1 in the world right now and no one is talking about him. That drives him crazy. For someone who claims they do not like media attention, he does a pretty good job of getting himself in the media. Brandel, Rory, Bryson, etc. are all examples of a pattern beginning to develop.
His Halloween costume was apropos for him.

I think Brooks is in for a bit of a slide this coming year/season. I would be surprised if at the end of 2020 he is still in the top 5 in world rankings. I could be wrong and would be happy to be so, but I think he will struggle this coming year.

That is my bold prediction.

Back