Koepka vs McIlroy

Did you guys see this? What do you make of

Brooks keeps displaying why he is an A-hole and will never be liked as much as the other players. He is a meat head and his handlers probably should step in a bit more.

I can't decide if I don't like his statement or just don't like his arrogance as of late. ??‍♂️
As long as it creates an actual rivalry I'm good either way. It would be nice to have something like this to look forward to.

I can't decide if I don't like his statement or just don't like his arrogance as of late. ??‍♂️
As long as it creates an actual rivalry I'm good either way. It would be nice to have something like this to look forward to.

He didn’t earn his PGA Tour card until after the 2014 US Open. The PGA Tour events he played prior to that were on sponsor exemptions or through qualifying. He got into the 14 Open as an alternate.
He still played 16 events on tour that year regardless of how he got them and was considered for rookie of the year that year. He was on the tour as far as I’m concerned.

Not sure how I feel about the comments, but curious what Rory thinks about it. Hope it gives him a spark, as that would be a fun final pairing to watch during a major, especially if they traded the lead back and forth on the back 9.

I can't decide whether I love this comment or hate it. The one thing it does is make me realize there really are no rivalries in golf which really sucks.

I love it because I hope it fires up Rory to have a great 2020. Nothing I would love more than seeing Rory win the career grand slam with he and Koepka in the final group. Maybe add in DJ and a healthy JD and Tiger... oh man that would make for a phenomenal Sunday in April.

Reactions: KEV
Brooks seems imune to the expression "pride goes before a fall". Come on Rory, and Dustin too!

I've really enjoyed Brooks's honesty, and how he's not afraid to ruffle feathers on issues like slow play, but I'm not sure I get this one... This feels completely unnecessary and, frankly, unprofessional. I hope it does light a fire under Rory though, who I still believe has the best "A game" on tour.

Didn't I read that Brooks comments were a result of a Rory slam that he was asked to comment on?

I love it because I hope it fires up Rory to have a great 2020. Nothing I would love more than seeing Rory win the career grand slam with he and Koepka in the final group. Maybe add in DJ and a healthy JD and Tiger... oh man that would make for a phenomenal Sunday in April.
I would need to cover my couch in plastic if that happened.

Details, details.

Koepka played the tour full time in 2013-14 (with a T4 in the US Open) and won over a million, when Rory won 2 majors.

Koepka is not wrong, Rory’s last major was 62 months ago, more than 5 years. Koepka was only playing on the PGA Tour in the beginning of 2014 because of a few sponsors exemptions and through U.S. open qualifying. He certainly wasn’t a rival of Rory’s that year as he was just trying to get his tour card at the start of 2014.

I like his matter of fact attitude. He’s one of my favorite golfers the last 20 years.

Koepka is not wrong, Rory’s last major was 62 months ago, more than 5 years. Koepka was only playing on the PGA Tour in the beginning of 2014 because of a few sponsors exemptions and through U.S. open qualifying. He certainly wasn’t a rival of Rory’s that year as he was just trying to get his tour card at the start of 2014.

I like his matter of fact attitude. He’s one of my favorite golfers the last 20 years.

If this quote is accurate, he is most certainly wrong. Rory won two majors that BK was in. Whether he was a PGA Tour member is immaterial. He was on Tour and if the quote is accurate, then he is not.

• Haha
Reactions: KEV
I have no problem with it. It is really not much different than the assorted reports saying the young studs didn't fear Tiger because he'd never been competitive during their time on tour. Sometimes the truth hurts.

1B5E8006-3467-47BB-A40E-A2189D2438EF.png

How awesome would it be if Koepka were to win the British next year and that matchup you spoke of above happened in 2021?
If this quote is accurate, he is most certainly wrong. Rory won two majors that BK was in. Whether he was a PGA Tour member is immaterial. He was on Tour and if the quote is accurate, then he is not.

The point Koepka is making is they are not rivals and never have been. Koepka lives for the majors and Rory hasn't put any pressure on Koepka in majors since he got his first PGA Tour win almost 5 years ago. I'm 100% positive Rory did not consider a Koepka a rival at any point of the 2014 season. Why would he when Koepka had yet to win a PGA tournament and was a part-time PGA Tour player starting the year on sponsors exemptions. It would be like considering the 2019 rookie of the year as a rival of Koepkas in 2019. He at least had his tour card the whole year and won $2.8M but I'm sure Koepka is not shaking in his boots at the thought of facing Sunjae Im .

I would be great for golf if a rivalry developed between these two but Rory is going to have to win or at least put some pressure on Koepka at a major for that to happen.

The point Koepka is making is they are not rivals and never have been. Koepka lives for the majors and Rory hasn't put any pressure on Koepka in majors since he got his first PGA Tour win almost 5 years ago. I'm 100% positive Rory did not consider a Koepka a rival at any point of the 2014 season. Why would he when Koepka had yet to win a PGA tournament and was a part-time PGA Tour player starting the year on sponsors exemptions. It would be like considering the 2019 rookie of the year as a rival of Koepkas in 2019. He at least had his tour card the whole year and won $2.8M but I'm sure Koepka is not shaking in his boots at the thought of facing Sunjae Im .

I would be great for golf if a rivalry developed between these two but Rory is going to have to win or at least put some pressure on Koepka at a major for that to happen.

If that's the point he was making, he used the wrong combination of words (again, assuming this quote is accurate).

Saw this today. Dude has NO filter...I love it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I'm with Brooks on this one. It hasn't been a rivalry for the Majors or in regular season events. Just in the last 3 years, Rory has missed 3 cuts at the Majors. Rory hasn't showed up when the pressure it the greatest (the Open this year, the Masters to complete his career Grand Slam). I mean Brooks let everyone play themselves out of it at Erin Hills then stepped up when it mattered. Brooks faced down the Tiger Roars and came out victorious. Brooks did the Lance Armstrong look back at DJ at the US Open 2 years ago and raised the trophy and then this year at the PGA he put his foot on everyone's throat and said come get me.

Also just because the PGA Tour throws money at the players with the Players Championship and the Tour Championship doesn't mean they're even in the same consideration as the Majors because they aren't (with the history, the pressure, what it means for these guys legacies etc.).
That being said, I hope this year Rory does show up at the Majors so we can put this debate to rest. Though I have a feeling it'll be like the Mayweather v Pacquiao fight, happening 5 years too late with everyone being disappointed in the pillow fight.
Also on this topic, is it possible that Rory has already played his best golf? I think it's possible that Brooks has but I guess we will see.

He's not wrong.

Its nice to have another player who isnt afraid to rock the boat once in a while. We've got enough "class acts" out there.

Shots fired, Brooks in a beast in so many ways. My money is always on Brooks over Rory.

Back