Ko'Olau Golf Club on Oahu

kevin81002

Fore Right!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Who knows
I came out here for work and didn't bring my clubs with me. Yesterday I got bored and decided to go play ko'olau and just rent clubs. This course is the one that used to have the highest slope rating of any course... 161. The USGA re-rated it to 153 from the tips some time later. The course and the area is friggin beautiful. But alot of the holes are target golf, which makes playing the blues (6800yds/150 slope) fairly difficult with a ton of long forced carry approach shots. Thought I'd share some pic of the course.

My only two bad critiques is:
1: The rental clubs suck. Full bag of Callaway Rogues with worn out grips, mismatched shafts, and nicked all to hell. They said they have new rentals in, but haven't set them up yet.
2: The greens were stupid slow. They rolled true, but were fuzzy like shag carpet.
fe679d97abc5b3807e1733d439cd22e8.jpg
211d14a36159492b01136a8c7c0aad7d.jpg
7745bd10daaae245fd80d0a9e0162899.jpg
e4b87fb44cd7c58a975a9ee92962d9d6.jpg
caf125fcb733843a376d2b0176971a96.jpg
e6eaf06860548c6a07665b7cc1684514.jpg
cbdb4c953c2e66c101670fd8784b8647.jpg
a281bff8d78230f45c80e565eb34970b.jpg
fabd0d093655a572475283e553c6b3cb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cool pics! Nice place to go for work huh? Remember for next time .... bring your clubs. :sneaky:

Cool pics! Nice place to go for work huh? Remember for next time .... bring your clubs. :sneaky:
Yeah I wasn't planning on playing at all. The way they made it sound, I was supposed to be pretty much locked in an office til I had their turbine outage all planned out. But I'm already done and supposed to be here another week. Thinking about getting my flight changed to go home probably Wednesday. Being out here without clubs, by myself blows. lol

Oh man - played out there a long time ago and probably lost a dozen balls. Thank goodness for the local "jungle = lateral hazard" rule!

Oh, and I can think of worse places to be stuck without clubs :cool:

Last time I played there, a dozen Pro V1s were included with the greens fee (of only $59!) That made the experience of treading through the swampy fairways so much better.

It's a beautiful course, but when I play that side of Oahu, I tend to stick to Royal Hawaiian.

Last time I played there, a dozen Pro V1s were included with the greens fee (of only $59!) That made the experience of treading through the swampy fairways so much better.

It's a beautiful course, but when I play that side of Oahu, I tend to stick to Royal Hawaiian.
I'm coming back out here for work in a few months. When that happens, Royal Hawaiian will be played.

I'm coming back out here for work in a few months. When that happens, Royal Hawaiian will be played.

When will you be back? I'll be on Kauai from 12/15-12/30 and we are talking about adding a few days on Oahu prior.

Great Pix thanks sharing. Have a few buds who have played it and all say the same thing...Bring a lot of balls.

When will you be back? I'll be on Kauai from 12/15-12/30 and we are talking about adding a few days on Oahu prior.
Jan/Feb some time.

Great Pix thanks sharing. Have a few buds who have played it and all say the same thing...Bring a lot of balls.
Man the front 9 isn't too difficult. There are a few holes on the front though where you're forced to lay up and leave yourself a 175+yd forced carry. But the back... the back seemed like every other hole was a long forced carry over the jungle.

Nice pics, would love to play some Hawaii golf eventually

Beautiful Kevin, looks better than being at school..even with sh***y clubs. :D

Did you see any wildlife @kevin81002 ?
When I played there - Saw Chickens and and a Mongoose

Did you see any wildlife @kevin81002 ?
When I played there - Saw Chickens and and a Mongoose
Yeah you're constantly dodging Chickens on that part of the island. I haven't seen any mongoose yet this trip though. Last time I was out here, Mr.Hicksta and I played the Navy course and I saw a mongoose hanging out behind one of the greens. Pretty cool to see.

What's amazing is that it looks like it was somewhat sunny. Every time I've played Ko'Olau it has been a wet mess. So much rain in that area.

What's amazing is that it looks like it was somewhat sunny. Every time I've played Ko'Olau it has been a wet mess. So much rain in that area.
It wasn't too bad. It started raining on us on the 17th hole. And by the time I hit the tunnel on H3 it was a full on can't see more then 20' in front of you downpour.

Yeah I wasn't planning on playing at all. The way they made it sound, I was supposed to be pretty much locked in an office til I had their turbine outage all planned out. But I'm already done and supposed to be here another week. Thinking about getting my flight changed to go home probably Wednesday. Being out here without clubs, by myself blows. lol

Buy new ones. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Gotta be a THPer or two out there to hook up with and borrow clubs from.

It wasn't too bad. It started raining on us on the 17th hole. And by the time I hit the tunnel on H3 it was a full on can't see more then 20' in front of you downpour.

... then, 20 minutes later, the sun was out again. :)

Buy new ones. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Gotta be a THPer or two out there to hook up with and borrow clubs from.
There are. It was a last second decision.

That is a beautiful course, but the wet mess was my only experience there as well.
Would love to play it on a sunny day and drier conditions.

That is a beautiful course, but the wet mess was my only experience there as well.
Would love to play it on a sunny day and drier conditions.
The drive over there cracked me up more than anything. I'm staying in Kapolei on the southwest part of the island, which has been pretty dry lately. All the hills around are dead brown. As I turned on to H3, you can see it getting greener and greener. Then going through the tunnel, it was like entering Jurassic Park. Nothing but lush green vegetation and cloud covered steep mountain peaks. I've been on this island probably a dozen times. But this was the first time I've ventured up H3. So dang pretty.

Back