Review KZG DS-3 Putter - THP Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
KZG is a brand that we have been getting to know a bit better here at THP. @Jman has done a fantastic job introducing us all to this company, as well as writing reviews on a set of irons(https://www.thehackersparadise.com/kzg-tri-tour-irons-review/) and wide-soled wedges(https://www.thehackersparadise.com/kzg-super-sole-wedges-review/). If haven't give those a read yet, pause what you are doing right now and do that, I'll wait for you to come back. To go along with what he has already done, he currently has a set of hybrids in, those can be discussed here https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/kzg-h370-hybrids.8916425/.

For me, I'm getting my first in hand look at what KZG brings to the table in the putter market with the DS-3 model putter. As you can see from the pictures below, this model features a plumbers neck design, with a mid-mallet design. The DS-3 features a forged head that has been CNC milled to perfection.

Headweight: 350g
Finish Options: Brushed Satin, Matte Black, Champagne.

KZG-8-L.jpg

KZG-5-L.jpg

KZG-3-L.jpg

KZG-2-L.jpg

KZG-1-L.jpg

KZG-9-L.jpg

Good shaping. Love how the bumpers rise and fall into the mid mallet section.

• Staff
Here is a quick look at the 4 other putter lines that they offer. Plenty of shapes to make someone happy.

KZG_putters_DS1_S2.jpg

KZG_putters_DS2_S2.jpg

KZG_putters_DS4_S2.jpg

KZG_putters_DS5_S2.jpg

• Staff
Good shaping. Love how the bumpers rise and fall into the mid mallet section.

now that I have spent a year getting over my dislike for PN putters, I find myself really looking at this one and loving the look. A neck I can now feel comfortable with, and you've always known me more for a mid mallet guy than a blade guy. This just sets up so nicely.

now that I have spent a year getting over my dislike for PN putters, I find myself really looking at this one and loving the look. A neck I can now feel comfortable with, and you've always known me more for a mid mallet guy than a blade guy. This just sets up so nicely.

Yeah it should fall into your wheelhouse rather well. The Milling looks to be dead in the center from too light to notice and too deep to mute.

Man, that’s a clean little forged putter.

KZG is a brand that we have been getting to know a bit better here at THP. @Jman has done a fantastic job introducing us all to this company, as well as writing reviews on a set of irons(https://www.thehackersparadise.com/kzg-tri-tour-irons-review/) and wide-soled wedges(https://www.thehackersparadise.com/kzg-super-sole-wedges-review/). If haven't give those a read yet, pause what you are doing right now and do that, I'll wait for you to come back. To go along with what he has already done, he currently has a set of hybrids in, those can be discussed here https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/kzg-h370-hybrids.8916425/.

For me, I'm getting my first in hand look at what KZG brings to the table in the putter market with the DS-3 model putter. As you can see from the pictures below, this model features a plumbers neck design, with a mid-mallet design. The DS-3 features a forged head that has been CNC milled to perfection.

Headweight: 350g
Finish Options: Brushed Satin, Matte Black, Champagne.

KZG-8-L.jpg

KZG-5-L.jpg

KZG-3-L.jpg

KZG-2-L.jpg

KZG-1-L.jpg

KZG-9-L.jpg
With the way the blade section blends in to the rounded section the first thing that comes to mind is @Snickerdog's phrase bladeymallet. It seems like a putter that someone who prefers a blade but wants the benefit of a mallet might like.

• Staff
Yeah it should fall into your wheelhouse rather well. The Milling looks to be dead in the center from too light to notice and too deep to mute.

and just with the rolls I have taken with it in my it has a little more of a lighter yet louder sound to it than the Ping Anser I've been rolling.

For its current line of putters KZG selected a different dealer to design each putter.

The milling on all of these are absolutely on point. I'll not game it, but the pure blade style is just fantastic looking.

With the way the blade section blends in to the rounded section the first thing that comes to mind is @Snickerdog's phrase bladeymallet. It seems like a putter that someone who prefers a blade but wants the benefit of a mallet might like.

That term works here

Reactions: KEV
They blended it really nice, I'm just not a fan of the bean shape in any of the mid mallets. I'd like a blade in champagne over this one.

I would like that putter with a face balanced double bend shaft.

You definitely got the best shape - it looks really sharp in the photos

Great looking putters. ;)

Nice looking putters!

They blended it really nice, I'm just not a fan of the bean shape in any of the mid mallets. I'd like a blade in champagne over this one.

I bet the champagne finish looks amazing in hand.

Nothing could bump my current putter out of the bag, but that one sure is nice looking. Milling looks as nice or nicer than some I've seen on high-dollar boutique jobs, and the shape is appealing also.

Cuious on the price. I understand it depends on what shaft but less variables than their irons or woods.
Also I would suggest taking a look at their wedges. I used to have them built for me and they are sweet.

Cuious on the price. I understand it depends on what shaft but less variables than their irons or woods.
Also I would suggest taking a look at their wedges. I used to have them built for me and they are sweet.
If you read in on the previous two reviews we did on KZG, the company realized a baseline price is something they needed to address, at least here for us. I would suspect the same thing will happen here again with the putters and with the hybrids I’m working with.

If you read in on the previous two reviews we did on KZG, the company realized a baseline price is something they needed to address, at least here for us. I would suspect the same thing will happen here again with the putters and with the hybrids I’m working with.

It would be nice if there was a baseline structure. That discussion has come up in the other KZG threads. I made sure to link them in the OP, and anyone unfamiliar would do themselves a favor by reading those threads and articles.

Those all look really good actually! Really like the bumpers on that PN mallet! Impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be nice if there was a baseline structure. That discussion has come up in the other KZG threads. I made sure to link them in the OP, and anyone unfamiliar would do themselves a favor by reading those threads and articles.
I agree. The cool part is the discussions we have had here have impacted the way the company is looking at things. Can’t tell me that isn’t awesome.

I agree. The cool part is the discussions we have had here have impacted the way the company is looking at things. Can’t tell me that isn’t awesome.

It’s really awesome actually

I've like most of the KZG stuff I've seen, but the putter line just doesn't do anything for me. It's not bad by any means, just nothing that really lights my fire.

Back