LA Golf Bryson Proto Shaft

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some THPers will have this new shaft in hand and this thread will be for their thoughts, pictures and reviews. This is the prototype that Bryson DeChambeau is currently using in his driver.

Looking forward to getting mine in hand in the coming days... Reserving this post for some pics when it arrives.

cbc49243b829bc2c57dee19a062c905d.jpg

f7207e478aeb7ea4d8463c7815cb759e.jpg

ad64c43d3e8b332781acc73ad72d20ce.jpg

ab4ea3fbc4b482cf12320e31dd5be5f8.jpg

322e26e2cb6ee634bb11341d12a49b1f.jpg

The paint scheme is going to look amazing in the F9 avalanche. Looking forward to getting it tipped and gripped and out to the range. Should have some early intel in the next few days. Thanks to THP and LAGP for the opportunity!

Last edited:
I received the TPOC 75-TX shaft from LAGP and here is a quick photo of the shaft:

TPOC.jpeg

John Oldenburg (a/k/a Oly within the golf industry) describes this shaft as: "a parallel butt profile, low launch/low-mid spin offering (think Tensei and Hzrdus), that has been testing very very well. A bit crisper feeling in the hands with outstanding control and launch. Parallel Butt Proto (offered in 75-X, 75-S, 65-S, 65-X) – mid/low launch, low spin, crisp/solid feel"

This shaft is created to compete with the MCA Tensei Pro Series line of shafts - lots of tour pros are gaming one of these - and since I have one of these in my TaylorMade M5, Oly asked me to do a direct comparison. I will be updating this thread with thoughts, technical info, who is gaming it on tour, and whatever else I can share. I will also be placing it head-to-head with the Tensei in the M5. Much more to come!

Last edited:
Some details from John on the shaft I received today:

Our player/partner/owner, Bryson DeChambeau, has been using a new shaft he helped design in his driver, 3 and 5 wood since shortly after the Masters. Still tweaking things a bit for him, but should have it dialed very soon. His shaft is a low launch, low spin profile, specifically designed for stability and shot repeatability. Very stout in the mid-section and tip, and a bit softer in the hands to provide some feel. A note for those of you trying the Bryson models. This shaft does not need to be tip trimmed for the X-flex player. If you normally tip, trim, I would suggest you start out with this one straight in. Bryson plays the shaft with no tip trim. If you’re an animal, and somehow this shaft straight in isn’t enough, I’ll be glad to send you another one try out with a bit of tip trim. The Bryson shaft is labeled 3VD1. It’s just the code I used while working with Bryson.

3421ff3ae6a0637920debcc3d4339186.jpg
tip installed on the TPOC shaft. Adding the grip later today.

Here is a picture of the butt end of the TPOC and the OLYSS (which is being updated in another thread). The butt end of the OLYSS, a constant taper design, is quite a bit larger than the TPOC, which is a parallel butt design. Just found that interesting.

628ad780e6753f0d8558105a58ee5813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grip installed. Shaft looks really cool with the M5 graphics.

589cbf15ee72e7d66f7283331319b6fb.jpg

I always like the shafts I played from the previous iteration of LA Golf Shafts. I am sure these will also be fantastic.

Looking forward to getting mine in hand in the coming days... Reserving this post for some pics when it arrives.

cbc49243b829bc2c57dee19a062c905d.jpg

f7207e478aeb7ea4d8463c7815cb759e.jpg

ad64c43d3e8b332781acc73ad72d20ce.jpg

ab4ea3fbc4b482cf12320e31dd5be5f8.jpg

322e26e2cb6ee634bb11341d12a49b1f.jpg

The paint scheme is going to look amazing in the F9 avalanche. Looking forward to getting it tipped and gripped and out to the range. Should have some early intel in the next few days. Thanks to THP and LAGP for the opportunity!

That is the most Bryson looking thing I've ever seen. Awesome.

I always like the shafts I played from the previous iteration of LA Golf Shafts. I am sure these will also be fantastic.

Just a note on this. Very different company down to who is designing the shafts being completely different than what was at Matrix

That is a great looking shaft. If it is designed to go toe to toe with the Tensei line, I am really interested in your guys' results. Is it aimed at one of the specific profiles (Blue, White, Orange)? Could have missed that part if it was mentioned.

That is a great looking shaft. If it is designed to go toe to toe with the Tensei line, I am really interested in your guys' results. Is it aimed at one of the specific profiles (Blue, White, Orange)? Could have missed that part if it was mentioned.

I have some emails into Oly to see what this shaft most compares to and to see who on tour might be playing it.

FWIW, I will putting it up against the Orange.

Wow looks awesome and the profile is definitely intriguing!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adapter will be here tomorrow- hope to be able to get it installed and ready for the course and range this weekend. True LM numbers will have to wait until after vacation, but should be able to get some info with my G80 soon.

Going straight in with my install at 45". Cant wait to see what this is all about over the weekend.

Going straight in with my install at 45". Cant wait to see what this is all about over the weekend.

You still play golf? :alien: Looking forward to your thoughts

You still play golf? :alien: Looking forward to your thoughts
Dude, work is just....I had plans to drop off my clubs today for servicing...well, looks like I'm at work til 8pm tonight. Killing me. But the weekends, I try. Itll be my 4th round this weekend. Driver swing still is good.

Dude, work is just....I had plans to drop off my clubs today for servicing...well, looks like I'm at work til 8pm tonight. Killing me. But the weekends, I try. Itll be my 4th round this weekend. Driver swing still is good.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

a6ae86236de90c38f39f90120652dfaa.jpg

Maiden voyage for the TPOC. I will add some specs and results later.

The first outing with the TPOC Proto shaft was a complete success. My first 5 balls were no more than 10 yds apart and quite long. This shaft was made to compete with the Tensei Pro Series lineup of shafts from Mitsubishi and I was able to swap back and forth between the Tensei Pro Orange and this shaft. Today was a great day to test as there was about a 1 to 2 club wind into us and that allowed me to see if the spin was under control. It was! I can't say which of these two shafts would serve me better - it will take some more testing and some launch monitor time to sort it out (they were that close), but I would give the edge to the TPOC for the following: feel, launch window, dispersion. I think I hit my farthest drive of the day with the Tensei, but my consistency was better with the TPOC Proto.

I will follow up with some specs and more details about which shaft in the Tensei lineup this is closest to. I will also get on a monitor sometime over the next week and compare the 2 shafts head-to-head. This is just an initial reaction after the first session.

After the range session, I followed up with Oly regarding what I saw. Here is Oly's take on this shaft:

"I designed it specifically to compete with the likes of the Tensei Orange and stiffer Hzrdus products. The wide body, long parallel butt design makes the shaft very stable in the butt half. So, you should feel much less shaft motion in your hands. This type of design also allows for better torque control. The TPOC is about ½ degree lower in torque than the OLYSS at the same weight. The softness you describe feeling in the TPOC could be attributed to the Zylon weave material. That material is added to damp high frequency vibration for a better feel."

The zylon weave is seen in the photos above the writing where there is a clear coat. This really stands out and provides some very visible tech in the sunlight.

...and here are the technical specs for the TPOC Proto in 70g TX flex:

Weight – 78 grams
Torque – 2.5 degrees
Frequency – 275 cpm
Tip Stiffness – 92 mm (mid-stiff to stiff)
Tip O.D. – 0.335 (3.0 inch parallel)
Butt O.D. – 0.610 (Parallel)
Balance Point – 21.2 inches from butt end (47% - slightly counterbalanced)

Based on my observations and the results I got with both this shaft and the OLYSS Proto, Oly will be sending me the Bryson Proto shaft and feels it may be the best fit for my swing. :)

After the range session, I followed up with Oly regarding what I saw. Here is Oly's take on this shaft:

"I designed it specifically to compete with the likes of the Tensei Orange and stiffer Hzrdus products. The wide body, long parallel butt design makes the shaft very stable in the butt half. So, you should feel much less shaft motion in your hands. This type of design also allows for better torque control. The TPOC is about ½ degree lower in torque than the OLYSS at the same weight. The softness you describe feeling in the TPOC could be attributed to the Zylon weave material. That material is added to damp high frequency vibration for a better feel."

The zylon weave is seen in the photos above the writing where there is a clear coat. This really stands out and provides some very visible tech in the sunlight.

...and here are the technical specs for the TPOC Proto in 70g TX flex:

Weight – 78 grams
Torque – 2.5 degrees
Frequency – 275 cpm
Tip Stiffness – 92 mm (mid-stiff to stiff)
Tip O.D. – 0.335 (3.0 inch parallel)
Butt O.D. – 0.610 (Parallel)
Balance Point – 21.2 inches from butt end (47% - slightly counterbalanced)

Based on my observations and the results I got with both this shaft and the OLYSS Proto, Oly will be sending me the Bryson Proto shaft and feels it may be the best fit for my swing. :)

Holy rebar, Batman!
I'm glad to see that the TPOC is working well for you on your first session.
I'll be very curious to see the LM numbers you get from this shaft.

Very interesting I game the Tensei Pro Orange in my driver snd 3 wood and love it.

Also have HZRDUS Black in my driving iron.

Seems like this shaft might fit me very well. Interested to follow along.

Holy rebar, Batman!
I'm glad to see that the TPOC is working well for you on your first session.
I'll be very curious to see the LM numbers you get from this shaft.

Soon. I hope to be on a monitor early next week.

Very interesting I game the Tensei Pro Orange in my driver snd 3 wood and love it.

Also have HZRDUS Black in my driving iron.

Seems like this shaft might fit me very well. Interested to follow along.

Interesting to me is that the frequency between this shaft and the OLYSS are so close and neither of them felt like a rebar. In fact, the OLYSS felt much softer to me and that is because the taper for the OLYSS begins at the butt and goes all the way through the tip. The OLYSS is still stable for a decent swing speed player (+110mph) but a fast transition and aggressive move can overpower that profile despite the rated stiffness. Oly has put some magic into these shafts to make them feel smooth yet be stable at the same time.

Last edited:
Back