LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

I think I remember from our phone discussion that we thought the OLYSS might give a lower ball flight due to the fact that the EI curves for the OLYSS versus the Tour AD Di show the OLYSS to be significantly stiffer in tip third of the shaft. Obviously that hasn't turned out to be the case. The construction of the OLYSS is significantly different than the Tour AD Di in that it is a constant taper design. The exterior O.D. of the shaft tapers at a constant rate from the very butt end of the shaft to within 3" of the tip where it becomes parallel to facilitate hosel fit. The Tour AD Di is a parallel butt product that doesn't begin to taper significantly until 10-12+ inches from the butt end. Because of the way you load the shaft, you may be experiencing additional bending in the top half (butt half) with the OLYSS which could account for the higher launch. The Tour AD Di is listed as a mid launch product, while I consider the OLYSS a mid/low product. But, the significant difference in construction along with the fact that no two swings are alike, mean that these general launch descriptions or labels will not be true for everyone. When I describe a shaft in a certain way with respect to launch, I am speaking in general terms, not finite terms. Which means that the launch 'label' given to any shaft by me or any of my competitors will be correct maybe 75-80% of the time. That in a nutshell is why fitting is so important. You cannot really know 100% how a shaft will perform for your particular swing until you test it.

All that being said, I am glad the OLYSS is working well for you. I'll be very interested to hear how the other prototype performs when you have a chance to try it out.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Oly

Thanks Oly!!!! You da Man!!!! Should have some significant data to share in the coming weeks

Last two outings with this Combo have been absolutely incredible.

Conditions have really started to deteriorate up here with the nice days few and far between.

Even with the poor conditions, this combo continues to perform in the current setup.

My last 9 holes - the swing was garbage, couldn’t get anything going with irons but the couple of shots with this, it was as if my swing was perfect. Center face, big bomb out in the middle of the fairway.

The profile and the head go together like peanut butter and jelly for me.

In the last couple of scrambles that I played, and this isn’t a sleight at my playing partners, we would be hard pressed as a team if we didn’t use one of my drives, when I played this off the tee.

in past driver setups, it was a good day if we used one of my drives in a scramble

Will definitely be looking to purchase additional shafts when these hit retail in a few months.

Spent some time testing irons, but also took some cuts with the OLYSS and the F9 - swing wasn't the best and not what I see on course ?‍♂️ but better than my True Spec numbers from a few months ago. Really looking forward to putting this shaft in the Speedzone Driver that comes out soon.

OLYSS Trackman Dispersion 12.22.19.GIFOLYSS Trackman Trajectory 12.22.19.GIF

Pretty happy with dispersion, height was really low - but that's something I've always struggled with - I need to get on LMs when I'm actually playing/swinging well :D

Woo! Taking a look at my stats from my old driver vs this F9 with the OLYSS shaft in 2019.
-Fairways hit increased by almost 20% (vs old driver)!
-Average fairways hit % has increased by 2% over my total stats on Arccos.
-Yardage is about the same but I will account that to the colder weather.
- Driving handicap score is trending down from the last few rounds I've played

Overall this shaft has been a dream to use in 2019. It's smooth with a predictable kick and it's helped give a very consistent ball flight to my drives. I can't wait to keep this going in 2020 and I'm confident this shaft will be going into future driver heads as well.

Woo! Taking a look at my stats from my old driver vs this F9 with the OLYSS shaft in 2019.
-Fairways hit increased by almost 20% (vs old driver)!
-Average fairways hit % has increased by 2% over my total stats on Arccos.
-Yardage is about the same but I will account that to the colder weather.
- Driving handicap score is trending down from the last few rounds I've played

Overall this shaft has been a dream to use in 2019. It's smooth with a predictable kick and it's helped give a very consistent ball flight to my drives. I can't wait to keep this going in 2020 and I'm confident this shaft will be going into future driver heads as well.

Whoa! That is awesome.

Whoa! That is awesome.

Thanks!

Arccos had my fairways hit for my F8 at 43%. :sick:
Now, this new driver is right around 61%. MUCH better!

I'm definitely needing the weather to start to dry up more to get out on the course with this shaft.
It's fun to have a shaft that rewards harder swings. I feel like I hit straighter shots when I really go for it.

@Shafted what does the final design look like for these shafts?

Pondering ordering one for my 5W this season.

(we all know looks is the decider for me when it comes to golf equipment :D:p:ROFLMAO:)

Those graphics are gorgeous, definitely makes the decision easier.

Well done there

Another great day yesterday with the F9 combo. Definitely going to be purchasing another shaft for the fairway.

Going to try this out in the SZ Extreme driver later in the week.

I love the new graphics!!

Looks like Rickie is trying this shaft out now

From the data, you need to get the ball up a bit higher in launch. Your spin is tough to judge. With both of your current shafts, your spin varies quite a bit, from high 1000's to mid 3000's. Data is always a good thing to have, but I always say look at the ball. To your eyes, what do you see when you feel you've made a good swing, and had center to slightly high/center contact on the clubface? Does it look to be knucklling and falling out of the sky, or ballooning slightly, or does is rise nicely and roll over the top like it should. Your ball speed puts you in an X-flex, probably untipped like you have now. The problem is that compared to the Tour AD Di, the OLYSS is much stiffer in the tip third of the shaft, which typically will reduce launch angle. Your path appears to be flat to slightly negative. A bit flatter with the GDi shaft. Depending on how you judge your average spin to be (too much, too little) a little more loft could help as long as you don't increase spin excessively. Truthfully, I don't know that an OLYSS would be the right shaft for you, but will certainly send you one if you want to give it spin. I have another brand new prototype, code name PTAD, that I am working on. More of a mid/high launch, moderate spin product. If you don't mind being a guinea pig, I could send one of the 75 gram TX flex models in that puppy out for you to try and give me feedback on. You'd truthfully be one of the very first one's to hit this new shaft. Let me know which way you would like to go.

Best,
Oly
Just found the Olyss and PTAD in a bag in my garage while looking through some stuff. Mannnnnn was that a really cool thing that Oly did. Ironically ended up liking the Olyss a bit more but the PTAD was a monster too.

Ponder ponder

Back