LA Golf OLYSS Prototype Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some THPers will have this new shaft in hand and this thread will be for their thoughts, pictures and reviews. This shaft is now in the bags of a handful of players on tour.

First look OLYSS

First look OLYSS

From Oly regarding this shaft: "Another prototype we’ve testing has been put in play by Jason Dufner. Since putting this shaft in play, his driving distance and accuracy have increased tremendously. He lead the field in driving accuracy at the Memorial and was 3rd in accuracy at the US Open, hitting 82% of the fairways in a tight Open setup. This new shaft, code named OLYSS (OLY Signature Series, ‘Oly’ is my industry nickname), is a mid/low launch, low spin product. It has a straight taper profile from the very butt end down to the tip, to provide exceptional feel. In short: OLYSS (offered in 75-S, 75-X, 65-R, 65-S, 65-X, 55-R, 55-S) – mid launch, low spin, softer feel."

I plan on putting this shaft into my Epic Flash. I have been playing the HZRDUS Smoke 70g 6.5 and find this shaft to be a little soft at times, so it will be interesting to see how this one performs against the Smoke. The Smoke is still a very low/low shaft, so hopefully I can see a mid launch and flat trajectory out of the OLYSS.
OLYSS_1.jpeg

No idea what all this means. Uploaded so JB, JMan, and the rest if the staff can take a crack at solving it.
OLYSS_2.jpeg

Yep - it has this going on too - so that should help. :)
OLYSS_3.jpeg

The graphics are very conservative and black all the way until about midway trough the labeling where it turns slightly clear and you can see the graphite weave. Classic look!!
OLYSS_4.jpeg

• Admin
Really looking forward to your feedback

Looks like those are formulas for shaft engineering. I have no idea the exact meaning but I could give a good guess..? Sounds like an email question for John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This shaft is going to look in the Cobra F9 Avalanche head

Not gonna lie I’m kind of jealous you got yours already haha.

This shaft is going to look in the Cobra F9 Avalanche head

It’s going to look even better in the Yellow F9 head!

The graphics look familiar but really awesome. Excited to see how it shapes up to the smoke

The graphics look familiar but really awesome. Excited to see how it shapes up to the smoke

I like the red LAGP logo standing out by itself from a distance. Very cool logo IMO. Im going to start watching for these on tour.

24daa488a636617cc6a46373e855b7c0.jpg

Adapter installed. I will get a grip on it today and then maybe get out tomorrow to see how she performs.

24daa488a636617cc6a46373e855b7c0.jpg

Adapter installed. I will get a grip on it today and then maybe get out tomorrow to see how she performs.

Nice!! I’m hoping to get out there tomorrow too or Wednesday.

What did you guys do for tip trimming?

What did you guys do for tip trimming?

Oly recommended no tip trimming for me, so I am following his advice.

33d213815c5a2d1563b0c69da9b6dd4e.jpg

Another pic, just because I dig their logo.

beae6c846293bc32338ab63f41dc485e.jpg

Grip installed. Now can I wait until tomorrow to hit it?

That color combo with the grip is

That color combo with the grip is

That's just the grip I use on my Epic Flash, but it did turn out looking AWESOME! I may have to skip the gym today and hit the range :)

Well I can’t find anywhere local that sells a two part epoxy gun so I ordered another Golfworks epoxy with a plunger. Puts my build time to Thursday and my first swing on Friday. I’m glad I get to play on Saturday for this shafts maiden voyage!

Well I can’t find anywhere local that sells a two part epoxy gun so I ordered another Golfworks epoxy with a plunger. Puts my build time to Thursday and my first swing on Friday. I’m glad I get to play on Saturday for this shafts maiden voyage!

IF it makes you feel any better at all- the local shops that assured me a few weeks back that they had a cobra adapter in stock are now all out of them. ETA for adapter = Thursday for me-- knew I should have ordered ahead of time but was assured... "we'll have em"

IF it makes you feel any better at all- the local shops that assured me a few weeks back that they had a cobra adapter in stock are now all out of them. ETA for adapter = Thursday for me-- knew I should have ordered ahead of time but was assured... "we'll have em"

Let me know if that falls through and I’ll send one your way ASAP.

4a1acec55a202c5fc648faba6a5e3989.jpg

Oh yeah!!!! This shaft is gorgeous. Love the visible carbon that fades to black towards the bottom of the shaft.

I got an OLYSS 65-S. The description of the OLYSS sounded like it was in my wheel house for recent shafts I’ve been fit into. I’ve had a few tweaks that woke my swing up and I’ve been working on increasing my clubhead speed so 60g in a stiffer profile should suit me nicely.

Oh, hello now. Another LA Shafts review? Nice. Looking forward to feedback on both of these.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh, hello now. Another LA Shafts review? Nice. Looking forward to feedback on both of these.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I believe there are 3-4 of us that will be reviewing this particular LA Golf Shaft. I forgot who is reviewing the Byson Protos.

I received the OLYSS 65S

Mid Launch/Low Spin/Softer Feel

b4e26aa5dc8aa4caced4c58e5bb7dfc3.jpg

Logo freaking down baby!!!

590dcaf31288c5207b29aef218f45898.jpg

e24a53164de4693a125689ff95d98caf.jpg

More From Oly:

Roberto Diaz put an OLYSS 65 Tour X in play last week at the Travelers. He finished tied for 8th for his first top ten ever (in a full field event – had a T10 in Puerto Rico last fall). He hit 84% of the fairways in the event. His average going into the week was 66%.

a38c1258f3c59995860a4069933a1608.jpg

Towel is wicked soft and high quality and the poker chips are high end as well

Last edited:
Back