Lack of female golfers on this site

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
As a female who loves golf, I wonder why we don't have more females actively talking golf here. I know there are a lot of women who love the game as much if not more than me, but why aren't they here?

What's your opinion?

I'm not sure Kelly but I wish it would change.

With as many women golfers as there are that sure would be great to know.

My thought maybe since it's more male's in here and less women they might stray away. I am still surprised there isn't because when I am at the course after work there is usually 4-6 ladies out on the course. And when It's ladies league there's usually about 25 ladies there so I know there out there.

Really good thread Kelly. I keep trying to talk my girlfriend into signing up and engaging in conversation, because the more she's around it and the better she's getting the more excited she's getting about golf. I think she thinks of it as more of a "boys club" type thing which I keep telling her is NOT the case. Hopefully with some more poking we'll have another female THPer soon!

Another reason I think and this isn't female based, but if someone has never been on a forum or familiar with how they work, I think they can be a bit intimidating for someone with no experience on any forum.

There used to be a few more as I remember. My wife rarely goes on anymore. I would welcome women's views on these topics.

I think it's because it's a direct reaction to the ratio playing golf.

We have some things that will hopefully grow that though.

My wife and I play about 40 to 50 rounds of golf together so she is a "golfer". The problem is she does not want to hang out with me on this site. She says we spend enough time together.

You make a fantastic point, and one that I personally would like to see turn around, not only on this site, but for golf in general.

Hopefully the wives at the love is in the air get a taste of what this is all about and join up as well.

Good question Kelly, My Aunt got me involved in golf when I was 12-13, Nobody else in my family likes it, She played her last round when she was 85 and died quickly from cancer at 86.
Not only did she play but won a tournament when she was 71 in Williamsburg Va, Her prize was 9 holes with Arnold Palmer.....She shot generally in the Low 80's and did not have a lot of power....BUT SHE COULD ROLL THE ROCK.....After finishing 9 Mr. Palmer said Mrs. West...If I putted as half as good as you, Jack would not have half of his Major's.
If she had dropped dead she would have been content.
I wish more women would get involved because in My opinion Men could learn more from a good Female player than a good Male Player.
They play smarter, They don't let testosterone get in the way , They tend to be content playing their style and while they are not as strong the Good females manage the course much better as they set up shot's better.
As a Happily married man I wish my wife played but Alas she does not. I hope we get more ladies involved.....Its good for the game

I read that anywhere from 20-25% of golfers are women.

My wife is signed up for a beginners' league and is coming with me to Love is in the Air so maybe I can get her hooked too.

My wife won't participate in great part because she has little interest in equipment and anything related, which does provide a good deal of content for this site.

My wife won't participate in great part because she has little interest in equipment and anything related, which does provide a good deal of content for this site.

I used to be like that until I joined this site. :act-up: I look at what some of my friends play and just can't believe it. This coming from someone who was playing a set of yard sale irons ($15) and hand-me down driver not too long before I joined.

I have nothing to base this on, so lets get that out of the way.

I see a lot of lady golfers at the local muni and I know there are others at the various private clubs in the area. Way back when was a kid, I was always a single and they would put me with the ladies if there was room. I pretty much kept my mouth shut and listened most of the time. Later in life I have had to play golf with ladies a good number of times since I often went out as a single or happened upon some that would flag me up to go through. I always offer to play with them if there is room and nobody ever says no.

What I have learned from all of these rounds is that lady golfers have lives. :act-up: What I mean by that is that many are moms with a few spare hours in a league or group of friends, some are retired and have Many different interests with golf being just one of them, or they are beginning and trying to learn. They have families to take care of, kids etc. Many guys find one or a couple of things and devote their attention entirely to them. Women seem to be much more Multi faceted and it seems to me that most simply have other things to think about and do.

Now, we all know that there are many women out there who are just as involved in golf and the industry as many of us are, but as has been said, it pretty much is on par with the division of the male/female demographic in this sport/industry.

I for one would love to see more ladies around here and I hope that some more drop in.

Just my two cents and observations on the matter.

JM

While it is a large section, there is a lot more to THP than equipment.
Heck our largest threads are not gear threads, but event threads.
Then add our "Other" sections such as Food & Drink and more and its truly a site for anybody.

After all, it is owned by a woman and she is interested in a whole lot more than just equipment.

I read that anywhere from 20-25% of golfers are women.

That number is a bit high. Last I heard it was closer to 9%.

EDIT: I should add that I have seen the higher numbers, but that was based on a survey/handicap, not actual play.

Hopefully the wives at the love is in the air get a taste of what this is all about and join up as well.

Yeah dude. Having that event could be a big boost in some of the female posting that goes on. Hope to see it

I understand that - just relating what she said after reading over the site a few times.

While it is a large section, there is a lot more to THP than equipment.
Heck our largest threads are not gear threads, but event threads.
Then add our "Other" sections such as Food & Drink and more and its truly a site for anybody.

After all, it is owned by a woman and she is interested in a whole lot more than just equipment.

When I work mornings at the course there are more female members than males sometimes, and not just on ladies day. I would have to guess that one of the reasons that there are less females on the forum is because forums are scary for people, especially if they aren't in the majority, and the ratio becomes polar because of it.

Here's my take on it, and feel free to definitely take it with a grain of salt - there are lots of web forums dedicated to golf out there. Many of them, NOT including this one, seem to have so many threads devolve into arguments, name calling, etc. As someone who's been online and in forums, newsgroups, mailing lists, etc. since 1995, that behavior tends to be very male-centric. Maybe there are women out there who have been on other forums, saw the signal to noise ratio, and didn't bother looking much further and never made it to THP?

I have nothing to base this on, so lets get that out of the way.

I see a lot of lady golfers at the local muni and I know there are others at the various private clubs in the area. Way back when was a kid, I was always a single and they would put me with the ladies if there was room. I pretty much kept my mouth shut and listened most of the time. Later in life I have had to play golf with ladies a good number of times since I often went out as a single or happened upon some that would flag me up to go through. I always offer to play with them if there is room and nobody ever says no.

What I have learned from all of these rounds is that lady golfers have lives. :act-up: What I mean by that is that many are moms with a few spare hours in a league or group of friends, some are retired and have Many different interests with golf being just one of them, or they are beginning and trying to learn. They have families to take care of, kids etc. Many guys find one or a couple of things and devote their attention entirely to them. Women seem to be much more Multi faceted and it seems to me that most simply have other things to think about and do.

Now, we all know that there are many women out there who are just as involved in golf and the industry as many of us are, but as has been said, it pretty much is on par with the division of the male/female demographic in this sport/industry.

I for one would love to see more ladies around here and I hope that some more drop in.

Just my two cents and observations on the matter.

JM

This is exactly what I've seen. I doubt very seriously I would have ever been active on this site before I retired and especially when my children were growing up. I had a very busy life and then suddenly wondered what in the world I would do. I retired at a fairly young age (50) so I knew I better stay active or I would age FAST. My husband is a golf addict and stayed on this site all the time. I didn't join until he went on a golf get together with THPers so I jumped on that thread and had a lot of fun bantering with the group of guys that went. Before I knew it, I started playing with THPers too and the rest is history. THP quickly became like family and I've played with a ton of folks on here. I've made many friends and have always felt more than welcome to play at all events, some of which I was the only female playing.

I wish I knew the answer. Lee loves going to the events, meeting everyone, and sees how it feeds (and fuels) my passion for the game. But she lives THP through me. At this point I'll take what I can get, and I only hope she becomes active on the forums.

Back