Lake Tahoe Open III - Nor Cal Outing

Freaking, GREAT pics and I'm glad those of you that still made it had a great time. Congrats to @tmarin802 on the win!!! It's crazy that I had an easier time getting to Tahoe last year when I was in Hawaii than I did this year being in state, but that's 2020 for ya. I look forward to seeing with Adam has up his sleeve for next year, and assuming CA hasn't burnt to the ground next year, I'll be day dreaming about some fantastic mountain golf in 2021!

Freaking, GREAT pics and I'm glad those of you that still made it had a great time. Congrats to @tmarin802 on the win!!! It's crazy that I had an easier time getting to Tahoe last year when I was in Hawaii than I did this year being in state, but that's 2020 for ya. I look forward to seeing with Adam has up his sleeve for next year, and assuming CA hasn't burnt to the ground next year, I'll be day dreaming about some fantastic mountain golf in 2021!
Always thought the State would finally get done in w/ the earthquakes but fire might have the same odds now at this point.

I am already planning my schedule for improvement for next year.. I need to be better.. Or maybe worse... :unsure::unsure:

Final results updated.

rEzxTxV.jpg

Thank you to @NVGOLFER80 @OldeDude @Schanker and @tmarin802 for taking time out to play some mountain golf with me.

Congrats to NVG for winning both closest to the pins on Saturday (Old Greenwood/Coyote Moon) and congrats to Tmarin for winning the grand prize closest to the pin at Edgewood. To be fair WE ALL missed #17 at Edgewood on our first try so we went again. Only Tmarin was able to find the green the second time.

Congrats to the LTO Champ Travis for playing some consistently great golf over all 3 rounds (82/76/83). He had very few max scores posted which made it difficult for us to grab full points consistently from him. The randomness of your opponent and pops given/received always allows for some fun. Travis had just started to struggle off of the tee (Edgewood 8-9-10 against Schanker) and bagged the driver. Immediately after he goes birdie-birdie against me. Not much you can do at that point! The Edgewood greens were running REALLY fast and they all had some decent slope to them as well. If Travis could have found his putter earlier on in the round, he was easily starting at a score of around 76, which is very impressive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now to take a little closer look at how the champion was crowned.....

Screenshot004.jpg

Looking at the top two finishers you can see how they did against each other. They both split the 11 Points available during the outing... and if you simply flipped the vs. The Course points for them you would have Schanker with a final 29 points and tmarin with a final 28.5 points. Everything would have been even a little more wild if NVGolfer was able to finish out with the final round.

Out of the 9 holes vs. the course, we saw

Schanker (4 Pars, 0 Birdies) 3 Holes with 0 PTS
tmarin (5 Pars, 1 Birdie) 0 Holes with 0 PTS

Like last year the final results came down to the bonus holes. If you want to come out on top, those are the holes you gotta bring your A game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't golf a ton unless I am traveling and this year a lot of that travel was cancelled and so I was happy to be able to get out of the house for a weekend and play a ton of golf. The small field didn't take away from the fun we had..... it was fun playing against the people in your actual foursome. Last year you really had no idea how your opponent was doing most of the time. Originally set to have about 20 people participate, having only 5 in the end pretty much summed up 2020 in a nutshell but I really appreciate those who were able to attend. It's pretty wild that Travis lives so close to me and we probably would never have met but thanks to THP I was able to put together a small outing that he was interested in, and hopefully I am able to continue to be able to do so.

A few tweaks will be made for the future but I am looking forward to continuing this when the world isn't a complete sh*tshow!

I knew the against the course was the key. I just couldn’t handle the pressure.

This year my game actually improved each round, last year it was the opposite. Hopefully in 2021 I’ll be able to put 3 rounds together.

Which course would you choose if you were picking Old Greenwood and Gray's Crossing?

Which course would you choose if you were picking Old Greenwood and Gray's Crossing?

Old greenwood. These two are sister courses with old Greenwood being the premier of the two. It is a jack design. It is very well done and also a PGA stop. Gray's is great as well just a touch more plain.

Old greenwood. These two are sister courses with old Greenwood being the premier of the two. It is a jack design. It is very well done and also a PGA stop. Gray's is great as well just a touch more plain.
How about versus Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood?

How about versus Coyote Moon and Old Greenwood?

Coyote is the odd one of the group. much different. That course kinda ate me up. Lots of angles, and yardage targets you have to hit. I think if I was to play that one few more times it could be my favorite as it requires a lot of thought and planning.. The other side is that it was in the worst shape of the three. Still great, but a few fairways were kinda rough etc..

Coyote is the odd one of the group. much different. That course kinda ate me up. Lots of angles, and yardage targets you have to hit. I think if I was to play that one few more times it could be my favorite as it requires a lot of thought and planning.. The other side is that it was in the worst shape of the three. Still great, but a few fairways were kinda rough etc..
Yeah, it's tough. I've played it before. Decisions. Old Greenwood only has tee times in the morning on Sunday. Not looking to play in the afternoon. But I am also thinking that if I play tomorrow I might be able to swing another round Monday after an entire day and a half of good family time.

We went with coyote. Ate me up too. Shot a 101. Definitely should have been 4-5 strokes less. Missed a couple 2 footer gimmes. Drove through the fairway on the short dogleg left par 4 on back because I didn’t shoot the distance and I didn’t realize how short it was.

Also just didn’t hit a single green on the front. Took me 9 holes to adjust to altitude. Should have just pulled one club less on every approach shot.

Beautiful course.

We went with coyote. Ate me up too. Shot a 101. Definitely should have been 4-5 strokes less. Missed a couple 2 footer gimmes. Drove through the fairway on the short dogleg left par 4 on back because I didn’t shoot the distance and I didn’t realize how short it was.

Also just didn’t hit a single green on the front. Took me 9 holes to adjust to altitude. Should have just pulled one club less on every approach shot.

Beautiful course.

yeah, I am chomping at the bit some get back up there and give it a go again before the end of the season. I need to see what I can do up there..

Hey Guys,

Looks like you had fun at the Tahoe Open this year. Sorry I missed it. It has been one hell of a year for everyone. I am glad to see 2020 coming to a close.

I will be back in 2021. I took some time off from here. I had two surgeries even with COVID. I guess I was lucky to get them done. Just recovering from the last one so I should be ready for 2021.

Always hunting for the pin!

JP

I was just wondering, We doing this again this year??

I can probably be there again this year if @SlightDraw is doing it again. You gotta have someone there to set the high score. :dohanim:

Depending on the dates, I would love to make it this year.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am going to try and make this work this year if the dates work out and there's room.

Definitely want to do this again!

When: August 20-24, 2020 (competition 22nd-23rd)

Where: Lake Tahoe, CA & South Lake Tahoe, NV

Golf Rounds:

8/21 - Friday PM - Practice Round - Gray's Crossing

8/22 - Saturday AM - Lake Tahoe Open Round #1 (Old Greenwood) *host of the Barracuda Championship

8/23 - Saturday PM - Lake Tahoe Open Round #2 (Coyote Moon)

8/24 - Sunday AM - Lake Tahoe Open Round #3 (Edgewood Tahoe) *host of the American Century Championship

Competition: Nate returns to look to 3-peat as a Champion. Can you take him down? A hopefully new Lake Tahoe Open Champion will be crowned and other on course competitions will take place. This year the competition will be over 3 rounds. Plan to get in Friday night to participate in the entire outing.

2020 Live Thread - 2020 Results - Champion tmarin802 with 33 PTS
2019 Live Thread - 2019 Results - Champion Nate with 27 PTS
2018 Live Thread - 2018 Results - Co-Champions Nate & Stemmy66 w/ a 67

rEzxTxV.jpg

RCLATAH_00213_conversion
coyote_moon%20course

Wait, there were only 5 players on a event/trip like that?

Send me a heads up for 2021! I love those courses and I am in!!

COVID + fires ruined at lot of peoples plans. I’m hoping it will be back bigger than ever. Although, my chances of a top 5 will be severely reduced.

Initially there were close to 20 but yes Covid hitting and some big fires in Northern CA prevented a lot from coming.

COVID + fires ruined at lot of peoples plans. I’m hoping it will be back bigger than ever. Although, my chances of a top 5 will be severely reduced.
Yeah, before COVID + fires I think there were 20+ signed up. Doesn't matter for me how big or small the field is, I'm pretty solid anchoring the bottom. :drinks:

Yeah, as long as the dates work I will be in this year.

Back