Lamkin Gripes - Review Thread

I like it Shark. The portability is definitely handy, not to mention the fact that it's cleaner and quicker process than filling a sink or bucket with soapy water.

Prior to getting the opportunity to test these hands on, I was aware of them but they weren't on my radar. I probably would not have purchased them. I would say that I was probably in the same camp with the people who have said "cleaning with a towel will restore tackiness too, that's the point of cleaning".

After having tried them once, Gripes are legit. They're sturdy, and the product lives up to the marketing claims.

While I'm not sure that the Gripes chemically enhance the tackiness of any given grip, I do think that they successfully cut through dirt and oily buildup that a wet towel probably wouldn't. Soapy water and a good scrubbing would potentially give the same result, but that's not feasible on the course. These are portable and won't leave your grips soaked and unusable for hours.

Thank you Lamkin, you have a convert. I would continue to use these, and will purchase them in the future.
Pretty telling review there, Shark.

Quick question, if you were to use this during your round, how long do you think it would take to dry completely to avoid slippage?

Wow, you guys are some dirty golfers!!!! :D

Isn't it funny how many of us don't spend the time to clean our grips but always seem to find time to clean the face of our clubs! Good stuff guys!

Nice video OJ!

Quick question, if you were to use this during your round, how long do you think it would take to dry completely to avoid slippage?

I think that would depend on the grip. My Crosslines and Tour Velvet dried much faster than the Feeltec, but it's not a naturally tacky grip to begin with. The Crosslines were usable within minutes.

If I had to hazard a guess, one hole would be sufficient drying time.

Isn't it funny how many of us don't spend the time to clean our grips but always seem to find time to clean the face of our clubs! Good stuff guys!

Nice video OJ!
We do? You should see my clubs...

I think that would depend on the grip. My Crosslines and Tour Velvet dried much faster than the Feeltec, but it's not a naturally tacky grip to begin with. The Crosslines were usable within minutes.

That's pretty quick. Thanks Shark.

Nice video OJ!
Thanks Nate. Next time i clean my grips with these, i'll try to remember to show how dirty the gripe after using it.

Wow nice. i didn't realize the Gripes were so big. The reason I asked about other wipes is because we buy our baby wipes and clorox wipes at bulk from Costco. Thought I could multi-task these wipes! Haven't tried myself, but from the sounds of it it would be unsuccessful.

That's seems super fast. Could really be a huge benefit to keep around!

Siri speaks for me!

That's seems super fast. Could really be a huge benefit to keep around!

Siri speaks for me!
Yes sir, I definitely need to get some in the bag.

Prior to getting the opportunity to test these hands on, I was aware of them but they weren't on my radar. I probably would not have purchased them. I would say that I was probably in the same camp with the people who have said "cleaning with a towel will restore tackiness too, that's the point of cleaning".

After having tried them once, Gripes are legit. They're sturdy, and the product lives up to the marketing claims.

While I'm not sure that the Gripes chemically enhance the tackiness of any given grip, I do think that they successfully cut through dirt and oily buildup that a wet towel probably wouldn't. Soapy water and a good scrubbing would potentially give the same result, but that's not feasible on the course. These are portable and won't leave your grips soaked and unusable for hours.

Thank you Lamkin, you have a convert. I would continue to use these, and will purchase them in the future.

I have to agree Shark. When these was first reviewed on the home page, I have to admit, I was kind like "ok, who cares, lets move on". But after using them and trying them out for the fourm test, I will getting these even after my current package runs out. I really think this will be a wipe down the grips before every round. At least if I spend some time at the range before I play, which is roughly50% of my rounds. I think once the grips are properly cleaned, one Gripe will last all the way through the bag, as a simple wipe down will help restore tack and get any nastiness off the grip.

I have to agree Shark. When these was first reviewed on the home page, I have to admit, I was kind like "ok, who cares, lets move on". But after using them and trying them out for the fourm test, I will getting these even after my current package runs out. I really think this will be a wipe down the grips before every round. At least if I spend some time at the range before I play, which is roughly50% of my rounds. I think once the grips are properly cleaned, one Gripe will last all the way through the bag, as a simple wipe down will help restore tack and get any nastiness off the grip.

This was my initial feeling as well. I occasionally wipe my grips with a damp towel during the summer (though I clean the club faces regularly). After reading the reviews I will have to pick up a pack and see how they do.

I purchased a package of the Lamkin Gripes based on Hawk's original review and comments. They've been sliding around in my car trunk for a couple of weeks, and this weekend I took them out for the initial use. Although not an official tester, I thought I'd post my thoughts on the product after my first use.

I am a regular cleaner of my grips, doing them twice or maybe three times a year. My process up until now has been misting them with the hose, spraying on some "green" cleaner and scrubbing with a toothbrush. I've felt this method did a pretty good job, if a bit time consuming, because of twisting the shaft in one hand while brushing the grip with the other to make sure everything got covered.

I may be the only person dumb enough to attempt this, but I almost opened the Gripes package by pulling apart the packaging seams at the top, like they were a bag of Doritos. Fortunately, I noticed the little door in the center and figured out that was the proper resealable opening.

I've got a combination of Golf Pride VDRs and Lamkin Rel 3-Gen. Because the grips were sorta clean to begin with, I was able to use just a single Gripe for all the 14 clubs I carry in my bag. The process was easy, the cleaning solution did not irritate my hands in any way, and the cloth is abrasive enough so that it really gets in all those little nooks and crannies in the texture of the grips. The red and white VDRs came out looking great. The white portions of the Lamkin Rel 3-Gen came out looking pretty good, but not quite what I was hoping. I think the Gripes cleaning really just illustrated that I need to regrip my Driver, as once the grime was off, the actual Rel 3-Gen grip showed more wear than I had noticed previously.

I'd say the Gripes cleaning method is far superior to how I was doing it before. The process was faster because the Gripes cloth is so much bigger than the toothbrush, and it did a better job in the cleaning. I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the colored portion of my grips, but the white portions looked much cleaner and newer with the Gripes than any cleaning I ever did with the toothbrush. I'll definitely use the balance of the cloth wipes in the package, and when they run out, I'll get more. The convenience alone beats the hose/spray cleaner/toothbrush method I was using, but the Gripes also made the job less tedious and I got a better result.

Last edited:
Initial Thoughts

Initial Thoughts

Hey guys. I know I am a little late to the party, but when I got home these beauties were waiting for me on my doorstep. I know you have seen plenty of pictures of them by now, but I want to document this not only for the readers, but for Lamkin as well. They have graciously given us the opportunity to review this product for the consumer.

Spoiler
photo1-1_zps3a46b8cb.jpg
[/IMG]

Spoiler
photo3-2_zpsf9789dad.jpg

The first thing I want to note is that this package of Gripes weighed a lot more than I could have ever anticipated. I never would have thought fifteen wipes could weigh so much, but more on that in a bit. I think the packaging is excellent. It is bright, without being overly so, it really lets the consumer know what they are getting.

Spoiler
photo2-2_zpsa863cf37.jpg

I also very much like the resealable package. One of my biggest worries was these things drying out, but the hole in the middle that allows for an easy grab of one Gripe at a time, combined with the resealable packaging put my mind at ease.

The other thing I noticed was the ridges in these wipes. These are nothing at all like a "wet-wipe," but instead almost like a shop towel.
Spoiler
photo5-1_zpsb32116e2.jpg

Spoiler
10_zps8198a440.jpg

For my initial testing I took one look at my grips and realized most of mine probably wouldn't suffice. I got my irons not too long ago, and my grips on my wedges, irons, and putters were pretty much brand new. So I found the dirtiest grips I had from previous clubs and decided to clean those

Spoiler
7_zps52f7cf74.jpg

Spoiler
14_zpsf1d62781.jpg

This is the result. I think the result speaks for itself, but they were noticeably cleaner, and much more tacky than previously. I also noticed that these things dry FAST. I am talking like 20-30 seconds and they were dry to the touch.

Spoiler
13_zps35b2ca5c.jpg

Spoiler
12_zps0607f8a5.jpg

When I was done with these grips I decided to clean the club faces of my somewhat dirty clubs as well as do my roomates entire set. He has never changed grips nor cleaned his he told me. I had him feel them before and after and he told me it was "night and day different. They felt much tackier." This is a great testament to what these things can actually do.

This is what the Gripe looked like after his full set, 2 of my grips, and all my clubs. For comparisons sake I used a "wet-wipe" on 3 of my Rocketbladez Irons before it ripped, very easily.

Spoiler
8_zps178134f2.jpg

Spoiler
6_zpsbe2777fe.jpg

So for review's sake I decided to go to the packaging, to determine if the product lived up to it's promise. It is very clear what the Gripes try to do, it is right on the packaging.
Spoiler
5_zps807de789.jpg

1. Removes surface dust, grime, and dirt in seconds.
I think it does this, somewhat. It clearly removes dirt and grime, but not necessarily as easy as it would seem from the packaging. It takes a bit of force, and more than a few seconds, at least in my experience, but it does come off pretty well as evidenced by the pictures.

2. Immediately activates surface tackiness of your grips
I think this is absolutely true. I can tell a noticeble increase in tackiness after using the Gripes. The grip gets new life which is absolutely incredible. I never would have thought cleaning grips could cause them to perform like they did from the first day of purchase.

3. Fast-drying Formula
Once again this is true as well. I noted that it takes around 20-30 seconds for the grip to return to its dry state. That to me is more than quick enough. I would be fine cleaning my grips 10 minutes before my tee time because I would be more than confident they would be ready for use.

4. ​Convenient resealable pouch fits easily into your golf bag
I commented on this earlier, so it is clear where I stand. I think the resealable pouch is a genius idea. It fits into my cart bag with no problems, and I can't envision a golf bag it wouldn't fit easily into. The size and type of packaging make it so it can fit just about anywhere.

Thanks to Lamkin and THP for this incredible opportunity. I will go through and answer questions that were posed to the best of my abilities.

My initial Thoughts: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?41601-Lamkin-Gripes-Review-Thread/page10

Any of the testers have the Golf Pride NDMC? Just curious to see how the gripe stands up to the corded part of the grip.

My roomate had a dirty one on his driver and 3W and it worked just fine on it. No issues at all. These wipes are very durable to me.

Anyone want to comment on how these are different from clorox bleach wipes or baby wipes? Far cheaper and should do just as a good job cleaning, I would think.

I found the clorox wipes to be much less durable and I am not sure whether or not they will damage the grip. I used one on 3 grips and it tore easily. You can see it in my initial review.

Great job everyone. Last time I looked for these I couldn't find them in any stores. I'm going to try again this afternoon. One thing I am curious about is other applications after they have been used on grips - assuming there isn't enough life in them for another grip but guessing they are still a bit moist. For example, after doing 5 grips is there any value to using them to give club faces or shoes a quick wipe down? Are there any chemicals in the wipe that would make you not want to put it on either of those things?

I used mine on all my club faces after cleaning about 16 clubs. They cleaned them fine and the Gripe held up well.

Can you wipe down the club faces with the wipes too? Or only the grips.

See above. It works fine in my limited experience.

Great job everyone keep up the great work. Have any of you noticed differences in cleaning different grips? Specifically any difference if you have different grips on your irons,woods,wedges or driver/putter? How do the Gripes perform?

I cleaned Lamkin Rel, Golf Pride Tour Velvet and NDMC as well as a superstroke grip. They all cleaned up fine. Didn't notice much of a difference going from grip to grip. I would feel very comfortable using these on any of those grips.

For me I would be comfortable using a grip in a couple of minutes to be honest. They dry THAT quick.

I noticed the citrus aroma. I found it pleasant compared to other cleaners. It wasn't overpowering by any means

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Definitely had an aroma, but not like a pine sol or other household cleaning product. I didn't think it was that noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I am amazed how noticeable the change is on the grips after being wiped down with these, really makes me think about how dirty my grips actually are and I probably don't know or notice!

It seems that with the ease of use that grips could be cleaned before rounds and or range/practice sessions, have any of the testers had a chance to do this? If so was there any residue left on the grip that might cause slipping or any other issues while playing/practicing?

Keep up the good work guys. I am definitely going to give these a try.

It seems that with the ease of use that grips could be cleaned before rounds and or range/practice sessions, have any of the testers had a chance to do this? If so was there any residue left on the grip that might cause slipping or any other issues while playing/practicing?

I cleaned mine right after my last round, but I'll give em a quick wipe down before my next range session and let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I asked this question in my initial review and wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

The Gripes do have an odor that to me is slightly on the citrus side and clorox in nature, not overpowering at all and really not unplesant either. Do any of the other testers notice this?

Here is that review if anyone would like to read it. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...eview-Thread&p=2030438&viewfull=1#post2030438

I noticed the smell as well. The Gripes smell reminiscent of Clorox wipes, but it is definitely not an overpowering chemical odor. They smell clean, but not like industrial cleaner if that makes sense.

Thanks for the question. As I have said previously, I would feel comfortable wiping these down 5 minutes or less before my round or practice session. They dry super fast. I took some full swings after I cleaned a few of my clubs and noticed no residue.

I would wipe them down 5-10 before a round. If you think you will use that club in that amount if time I wouldn't do it.

If you know you won't use that club during a round in that timeframe you could pull it off then as well.

Back