Large Fairway Wood —*Driver replacement

BlindPotential

Reaction score
Handicap
I have always struggled hitting my driver as accurately as I do my 3 wood — especially on my home track, I'm more than happy to trade in some distance for more fairways hit. For that reason, I've been looking for a 2 wood (think Cobra Long Tom, or similar) or mini driver. However, those clubs are fairly old; what is the biggest fairway wood currently on the market?

Thanks for your help!

I'd suggest looking at TaylorMades FW offerings from this year or last year. The footprint of the M2 or M4 will be a bit bigger and you'll get plenty of distance out of them!

I know it’s considered a “gimmick club” but I hear that the GX-7 advertised on TV is specifically designed for your situation. I saw a review of them once (sorry, I don’t remember by who) and the consensus was it does work, but only off the tee. It is not a good option as a fairway wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to THP! As long as you're hitting off the tee a mini driver can be a decent option. Many on here have had some good success.

A couple of options that come to mind are the TM Aeroburner Mini, Callaway Bertha 1.5 or if you want to go older, the XHot line had the 3 and 5 deep, which were basically oversized FWs. There's a bunch of reviews on here if you give the search a go. I will say that I've had middling success when I have tried them and some will be more open than others.

EDIT: The Aeroburner Mini & Bertha 1.5 are within 3 years old IIRC.

Welcome to THP! As long as you're hitting off the tee a mini driver can be a decent option. Many on here have had some good success.

A couple of options that come to mind are the TM Aeroburner Mini, Callaway Bertha 1.5 or if you want to go older, the XHot line had the 3 and 5 deep, which were basically oversized FWs. There's a bunch of reviews on here if you give the search a go. I will say that I've had middling success when I have tried them and some will be more open than others.

EDIT: The Aeroburner Mini & Bertha 1.5 are within 3 years old IIRC.

Thanks! I am definitely considering the Bertha 1.5, but it's sadly hard to find in Europe — same problem with the Cobra Long Tom 2 Wood which I would consider, or the 2014 Ping Rapture. It might have to be the Aeroburner Mini..

Are we talking about largest as in CC? Or largest as in longest? There was the ole Aeroburner Mini 12-14* or Big Bertha Mini 1.5, those might do the trick or maybe even the Steelhead XR 3+ (13.5*). A cut down driver is also a very good option too as the mini drivers was just a fad that faded quickly.

I have considered putting a 3 wood shaft in the driver, and likely will try that —*I'd also love to combine driver and 3 wood in one club effectively, as that would open up space for another wedge!

If you can hit it off the deck, I totally agree. Unfortunately I can barely hit a regular 3W off the deck. :banghead:

I know the head itself isn't the biggest but if you are looking for driver like distance the Callaway Rogue fairway woods will get you there. I rely on 3 wood off the tee quite a bit and it's really long and very forgiving.

I just bought a Ping G Stretch 3. I hit it really good off the tee. It is 13.5*. I think Titleist has one in the 917 F3 line as well. That one is hard to find though.

You could try a callaway steelhead xr. Some found it harder to launch off of the turf, but it does come with a deeper face. They are available for fairly cheap for a 1 yr old club.

I know the head itself isn't the biggest but if you are looking for driver like distance the Callaway Rogue fairway woods will get you there. I rely on 3 wood off the tee quite a bit and it's really long and very forgiving.

I'm predominantly looking for a little bit of a bigger footprint just for that added confidence off the tee — like you said, distance per se isn't the issue (though obviously more is always better)

If you're going to mostly use it off the tee, I would just use a driver with a 3w shaft in it. I switched a long time ago to this setup. In the last few years I've added a regular length driver, 45". But the short driver, 43", is so consistent and long enough I probably would play just as well with it as my only driver. The three short drivers I've gamed are XR, GBB and now Epic. All with a 3w shaft and lofts set between 12.5 to 13.5.

if you hit down, a strong 3w. If you hit up, a driver with 3w shaft.

The Wilson FG5 tour woods are on ebay from budget golf now for $40 delivered. I have the 17.5 and it is quite nice. The 13.5 is available. For the price, you won't do better. My 5w/4w came in at a D0 weight.

Are you planning to drop your driver from the bag completely or is this to compliment the current driver?

Are you planning to drop your driver from the bag completely or is this to compliment the current driver?

Ideally, I'd like to drop my driver and 3 wood, and replace them with one club, whatever that is.

I love my M4 3 metal. I hit it as much as my driver

Back