oiler3535

Reaction score
Handicap
So my wife has decided that she doesn't want to go to Maui this March Break. So going to most likely do Vegas (some thoughts to Miami or SoCal but very unlikely). Any recommendations on courses near town to play? Doing a quick skim through other posts seems like Reflection Bay a good choice. I've heard from others I should play Bear's Best and Las Vegas National. Other thoughts?

Other suggestions I've gotten for cheaper courses are
Painted desert
Aliante
Wildhorse

Baili Hai was my favorite ive played out there.
TPC vegas is another solid one

So my wife has decided that she doesn't want to go to Maui this March Break. So going to most likely do Vegas (some thoughts to Miami or SoCal but very unlikely). Any recommendations on courses near town to play? Doing a quick skim through other posts seems like Reflection Bay a good choice. I've heard from others I should play Bear's Best and Las Vegas National. Other thoughts?

Other suggestions I've gotten for cheaper courses are
Painted desert
Aliante
Wildhorse

I probably wouldn't play Painted Desert or Wildhorse. I like PD, but its a bit older and won't really stand out as a got-to-play kind of course. Wildhorse has been in horrible condition recently, so unless they have made some major changes, I wouldn't plan on that one either.

I think Rhodes Ranch is always a solid option, especially for a budget course. Bear's Best and Reflection Bay will be quite a bit more than RR. Arroyo is another solid course I would put on your list.

If you want to stay near the strip to play, Las Vegas National is a good choice and is relatively inexpensive (although they do charge a premium for visitors). Bali Hai is right off the strip and is really nice, but its also right under the flight path and next to the airport. I always found that kind of disturbing.

Baili Hai was my favorite ive played out there.
TPC vegas is another solid one

Thanks. Both are on my list but under the heading "if I find a deal".

I probably wouldn't play Painted Desert or Wildhorse. I like PD, but its a bit older and won't really stand out as a got-to-play kind of course. Wildhorse has been in horrible condition recently, so unless they have made some major changes, I wouldn't plan on that one either.

I think Rhodes Ranch is always a solid option, especially for a budget course. Bear's Best and Reflection Bay will be quite a bit more than RR. Arroyo is another solid course I would put on your list.

If you want to stay near the strip to play, Las Vegas National is a good choice and is relatively inexpensive (although they do charge a premium for visitors). Bali Hai is right off the strip and is really nice, but its also right under the flight path and next to the airport. I always found that kind of disturbing.

Thanks for the tips! Will add those to my list. And good tip about the airport. Probably wouldn't bug me but never know.

Painted Desert is just okay IMO, kind of a busy muni type experience. TPC Las Vegas is very nice.

Another vote for TPC Vegas here. I just played Las Vegas Country Club and it was nice but didn’t have the mountain / desert feel as it was lined with houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bali hai is overrated and nowhere worth the 200+ green fees. If not for the location on the strip it would be $100 course.

I played arroyo last March was blown away by the horrible conditions for $120. Tees where lacking grass, bunkers where hard pack sand, very sad looking course, even the 2 locals we played with were disgusted with the course.

For around a hundred you can play Paiute after 11am, Revere(Lexington course) is always in great shape with some great views of the valley. Those are my two choices for Vegas Golf in march.

TPC Vegas is is always in good condition just pricey in March.

Coyote springs, wolf creek and mountain falls are all worth the drive if you have a car and don’t mind the drive.

I’ll add Vegas is extremely busy in March with nascar and March madness. Golf course jack there rates up big time for those 2 events.

Cheaper places to play... I really like Highland Falls and Angel Park as budget friendly options. Reflection Bay is another that you can find some decent deals on.

TPC Vegas

Bali Hai

For close proximity

If you can do the drive, I recommend Wolf Creek

Las Vegas is a very expensive place to play golf and it's very much a "you get what you pay for" type of town for golf courses. Also, March is just getting into peak season as the temperatures aren't cold anymore and most of the courses start to come out of winter dormancy so prices start to creep up.. Nice, manicured courses like Bali Hai are $$$$ because of the proximity of the strip and then courses further away like Cascata are $$$$ because of the shear beauty, experience and beauty of the course.

Two of my favorite courses to play out there are in Red Rock - Arroyo or Siena. They are locals courses and both magnificent. I think the most I've paid at either was about $75, but typically pay between $60 and $70. Pauite is another awesome option as they have 3 championship courses and are fantastic choices for the money. The only downside is the distance from the strip, but I've taken an Uber out to Paiute for about $40.

I found Bear's Best very average and very unmemorable considering it's 18 of Jack's signature holes. Royal Links is a fun course and not too far from the strip. I also like Rio Secco and have found some good rates there. TPC Las Vegas is a fun course but extremely challenging if you have never played it before or have not played with someone else. It is fun to play after you have played it a few times since it is not always obvious where you should hit it (Steeple hole). Furthermore, you pay a premium for the TPC.

Finally, I highly discourage playing Las Vegas National as it's so boring compared to so many other courses out there. It's affordable and close to the strip and well maintained but nothing wowed me about it.

Bali hai is overrated and nowhere worth the 200+ green fees. If not for the location on the strip it would be $100 course.

I played arroyo last March was blown away by the horrible conditions for $120. Tees where lacking grass, bunkers where hard pack sand, very sad looking course, even the 2 locals we played with were disgusted with the course.

Agree 100% on Bali Hai - it's all about the convenience.

That is so disappointing about Arroyo. I did not play it this year since I had not been out there since Super Bowl. Here is a pic of Arroyo from March 2017 - it was in magnificent shape.
IMG_2525.jpg

Fwiw we played bali hai in feb 2018 and it wasnt the $200 that has been mentioned, wanna say it was in the $160 range.

I dont remember the exact cost and i know we added caddies to the deal but the proximity did help add to the overall experience as none of us was looking for a 30 to 45 minute commute like some of the courses other habe recommended.

We also werent out there scouring for deals (kinda defeats the purpose in a place like Vegas).

Last edited:
Agree with most here. Bali Hai is okay but pricey. Rhodes Ranch is one of my favorites and Arroyo as you can see from the pic above is beautiful.

I also like, Rio Secco and TPC LV. The course at Pauite and Mesquite are nice, you will need to drive 45 minutes or so to get there.

Another vote for TPC Vegas here. I just played Las Vegas Country Club and it was nice but didn’t have the mountain / desert feel as it was lined with houses.

I despise courses lined with houses so good tip, thanks!

eb27c7599aa5dee896a9153245409401.jpg

Pretty much every tee box. March 18

Cheaper places to play... I really like Highland Falls and Angel Park as budget friendly options. Reflection Bay is another that you can find some decent deals on.

Angel Park is the one with the scantily clad women caddies I believe. And my wife saw that and asked about it when decided on Vegas. So not likely lol.

I agree. I think I've got a course review of Highland Falls, maybe Angel Park too, somewhere on the site.

Angel Park is the one with the scantily clad women caddies I believe. And my wife saw that and asked about it when decided on Vegas. So not likely lol.
Not when I was there playing a round with my wife...

There are no caddies at angel park. It's a $75/round course

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There are no caddies at angel park. It's a $75/round course

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looking at their website, it looks like you can choose to have an "angel" caddy join you for the round.

If you want to go for something really obscure, drive out to Pahrump and play Mountain Falls. Really nice course that is always very well-maintained. Sort of a local secret, since its in a total dump of a town. :D

Yeah, I don't think that is accurate. There are several courses with the "Platinum Tees" girls, but I have never seen them at Angel Park. You can book them at Royal Links, for example.

Looking at their website, it looks like you can choose to have an "angel" caddy join you for the round.

That's interesting. I've played probably 20-30 rounds there and never seen one. I guess you could book one (apparently), but its not like there will be boobs falling out left and right if you go there with your wife. Its just a regular course.

Back