LASIK....Who's had it? Who wants? Experiences?

Two quotes I’ve officially received so far have been $1,700 and 2,025 per eye.
My eyes are nowhere near as bad as se folks but love the idea of no glasses nor contacts. Question though, do these quotes consider vision insurance too? Or is vision insurance not even a thing with Lasik?

My brother and sister both did the procedure.

Brother had a very bad reaction and sees a Ghost like image instead of clear. He had to have a second procedure to try and fix.

My sister had a very bad reaction that caused a great deal of pain and took a long time to heal. She is good to go now, but took awhile to get everything back to normal.

I will pass.

My eyes are nowhere near as bad as se folks but love the idea of no glasses nor contacts. Question though, do these quotes consider vision insurance too? Or is vision insurance not even a thing with Lasik?
The all-in cost for me will be $4,100 after a $750 discount through Qualsight, which is a program associated with my vision insurance. All the funds will come from FSA, which will help lessen the blow.

My insurance doesn't cover any of it, but does offer a $400 discount per eye. So, it's still worth looking into. I believe benefit-wise, it's considered cosmetic and not preventative.

Would love to get it done but cost up here is crazy!

I got it done about 6 or 7 years ago. Some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

I had it done 12 years ago and still see better than 20/20. I’m active outdoors summer and winter and being free of glasses/contacts while skiing, golfing, hunting, and boating is life changing for me.

I will warn those who are getting it that your vision goes completely black when they cut the flap. I could see perfectly after 24 hours but I dried my corneas out by going on a ski trip a couple days after surgery which was not wise, lol. My doctor told me to stay home and rest and eyes were fine a couple days after the trip.

No personal experience, but had a buddy who just had it done. His right eye came out perfect, but his left eye ended up with waves in the flap. That eye is super blurry and it's been causing bad headaches and vertigo. He has to go back in today to see if they can fix it.

I think I had mine around 2004, there is a place on the north side of Indy that runs people (or did) through like cattle, three at a time all day long. I opted out of any of the fancy tear duct plugs or anything that cost extra since I was doing it on a budget. Total cost was $1250 and that included pre and post op consults. My vision was super blurry for a day or so after, the drive back was interesting the next day.

However, since then I haven't had a single eye doctor visit and I can still see really well. I did have halos around lights while driving at night for about six months, gradually decreasing over that time. But even now I pass the vision portion of my DOT physical easily and can read street signs very well. If my eyes start fading again I would have a touchup in a heartbeat. At the time I was a welder so I had work glasses (a bit dangerous to weld in contacts), contacts, and nice glasses and since my vision was about 20/70 uncorrected that was pretty expensive to replace everything once a year or so.

I would say anyone who is a good candidate should check it out, it may not be for you and that's ok but it has been awesome for me.

I had it done 12 years ago and still see better than 20/20. I’m active outdoors summer and winter and being free of glasses/contacts while skiing, golfing, hunting, and boating is life changing for me.

I will warn those who are getting it that your vision goes completely black when they cut the flap. I could see perfectly after 24 hours but I dried my corneas out by going on a ski trip a couple days after surgery which was not wise, lol. My doctor told me to stay home and rest and eyes were fine a couple days after the trip.

I had no advance warning of this, nor did I take a valium or anything and I'll be honest it freaked me out a bit. The whole surgery is a little uncomfortable with the pressure of the suction cup thing and that quick back and forth motion of the blade before the baby spatula thingy pushes the flap over. I was super relieved to see the blinking red light. In retrospect it was totally worth it but that was...interesting.

Got mine last year.....One of the best things I've done for myself.

I used FSA money to help cover the cost. I see better than ever now.

I warned the coordinator about my mild to severe white coat anxiety and she said they prescribe all patients Valium for the procedure and you’re only in the OR for 15 minutes. Either way, I expect a significant rise in blood pressure day of.

Oh I can assure you that I’d be there on something far stronger than Valium for this procedure. That would just be a bonus.

I’m not a candidate for this but the optometrist suggested a much more aggressive and expensive procedure. I took the glasses.

Had mine over 20 years ago. Had dry eyes for a year or so. But vision still great both near and far and I had a bad stigmatism and was border line on depth of cornea.

Interesting because I have a slight astigmatism and my eye doctor says I am not a candidate. Of course I am sure they don't want me to get it because it reduces what they can sell me.

Interesting because I have a slight astigmatism and my eye doctor says I am not a candidate. Of course I am sure they don't want me to get it because it reduces what they can sell me.
Go see a Dr that specializes in Lazik.......It is such a joy to walk away from glasses.....especially for golf...That's why I did it....Golf. Just do it...............

Had mine when I was 25 (I think, been a while...), 42 now. I wasn't the blindest of bats, but I will say that Lasik was probably the most life altering thing that I've experienced physically from a day to day perspective. Not having to grope for glasses when you wake up, no messing with contacts. As someone who started wearing glasses at 7 it was a crazy change.

After 17 years, I'm just now getting to a place where I'd consider any sort of touch up work, but it's honestly not bad enough that I'm running out after it. I do have an appointment with my optometrist coming up where it'll be discussed though. I know if I get it again, reading glasses will be an early requirement for me. Which, if I can track a golf ball in the air without glasses for another 15-20 years, I'm willing to trade.

I also became a huge sunglasses ho after my surgery. Contacts were always a lot of work due to my allergies, so I didn't get to wear them much up to that point.

I had lasik on my eyes back in college, I think I was 22 at the time. All was good, woke up the next morning and had just a little better than 20/20 in both eyes. I could see the texture on the ceiling without my glasses or contracts. I was thrilled! Golf because better, too as I didn't have glare or have to squint while wearing my glasses. I would use my contacts most of the time though. Fast forward a couple of years, maybe 4 or 5 and my left eye (my dominate eye) adjusted worse, but my right eye was fine. Thankfully the place where I had it done had a warranty for life (they don't anymore) and back in 2018 I had my left eye fixed after close to 17 years later.

I would 100% recommend it to anyone. Since I got my left I corrected, both of my eyes are still at 20/20 or better. Sure it costs a decent amount of money, but that cost is offset (IMO) since I'm not paying for contacts, contact solution, glasses or eye doctor appointments anymore. That all adds up.

I had no advance warning of this, nor did I take a valium or anything and I'll be honest it freaked me out a bit. The whole surgery is a little uncomfortable with the pressure of the suction cup thing and that quick back and forth motion of the blade before the baby spatula thingy pushes the flap over. I was super relieved to see the blinking red light. In retrospect it was totally worth it but that was...interesting.

Lol, honestly, I wished they would have warned me about the blackness and short flash of pain that I experienced when that flap was cut. I too was relieved when I saw the blinking red light - my brain was telling me everything was ok but I certainly wasn't sure of it. :)

I'm headed for cataracts surgery in the very near future. Just waiting on paper work to finish up.

Knowing the difference in the two procedures, I think I'd rather have the Lasik....lol

I have a couple of friends who've had the Lasik work done. They both swear by it.

This right here! As a non eye toucher, the procedure was a little horrible! Not painful, but I was very uncomfortable the entire time. Still a bit blurry today about 22 hours later, but I have 20/20 vision. Eye drops for weeks!!!

This right here! As a non eye toucher, the procedure was a little horrible! Not painful, but I was very uncomfortable the entire time. Still a bit blurry today about 22 hours later, but I have 20/20 vision. Eye drops for weeks!!!
I'm going to quote the Dr that performed my procedure. "Use the drops, use them all and use them as directed. Don't miss applications". I heard a horror story about someone getting an infection, I used them and didn't rub my eyes forever and had zero issue but I was definitely on top of the drop usage.

No lie, the place I went took three people in at a time, the young lady just before me clearly was not warned either and her response to the surgery was a bit terrifying, she may have whimpered and asked for more time. That did not inspire confidence :ROFLMAO: but it all went well and I'm still glad I did it. I'll do it again if I need to but 17ish years later I'm still good to go.

Hopefully your recovery goes really well, living free of glasses is sooooo nice!

I'm going to quote the Dr that performed my procedure. "Use the drops, use them all and use them as directed. Don't miss applications". I heard a horror story about someone getting an infection, I used them and didn't rub my eyes forever and had zero issue but I was definitely on top of the drop usage.

No lie, the place I went took three people in at a time, the young lady just before me clearly was not warned either and her response to the surgery was a bit terrifying, she may have whimpered and asked for more time. That did not inspire confidence :ROFLMAO: but it all went well and I'm still glad I did it. I'll do it again if I need to but 17ish years later I'm still good to go.

Hopefully your recovery goes really well, living free of glasses is sooooo nice!
I had a similar experience. The woman who went in before me was practically trembling and they were encouraging her throughout the procedure. At that point I was kicking myself for not taking the second Valium! 😆 I just laid on the table and had a death grip with both my hands while I gutted it out. So far so good, I’d go through that discomfort again if all goes well and I am making liberal use of the artificial tears!

I had mine done about 17 years ago and it has worked out well. My vision has started to deteriorate now, but I am 54. I had one eye fixed for distance and one for reading which I was happy with. If you’re a candidate and are considering I’d say go for it (weighing the risks of course).

goodluck tomorrow!
Had it done in 1997 to better than 20/20, he told me once you turn 40 you will need reading glasses. Almost to the day once I turned 41, I needed them. Best money I ever spent on myself! Never had any side effects.
Almost exact same experience here. I had mine just over 20 years ago, and it was great, still is for the most part. I didn't have one eye fixed but did both for distance back then. They told me I would probably have reading glasses by the time I was 40-42. But I'm just starting to need them now at 55. Best thing I ever did.
Agree here. Was a really big change for the better after getting it done.

I had mine done about 20 years ago now, but have been thinking about doing again since my eyes have been changing the last 5 or so years.
I had it done when I was in my early 50s. I went for distance correction only and it did exaggerate the need for reading glasses but the improvement in seeing things at a distance without glasses was well worth it. Now some 20 years later I am back to wearing glasses (progressive lenses) full time, a very mild prescription for distance plus reading. Not worth going and getting the eyes "tweaked" at my age.
I had mine done years ago as well. So I checked and the flaps have healed so they won't cut again. Doing it again after that long is not an option from what they told me. Sorry
the brisket man...

But there's a local place here than sells their burnt ends every Friday and....man...I get bloated just thinking about them.
Man Utd winning the Treble with 2 goals in the 90th+ minute back in '99
Football - West Brom vs Arsenal has just kicked off
I'm headed for cataracts surgery in the very near future. Just waiting on paper work to finish up.

Knowing the difference in the two procedures, I think I'd rather have the Lasik....lol

I have a couple of friends who've had the Lasik work done. They both swear by it.
I had the classic coke bottle glasses. I have no idea what my eyesight was other than I could see just a few inches before it started getting blurry. Had LASIK at age 40 in 2002 and got to 20/25 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. Was done on purpose to delay needing reading glasses. Was fine until 2012 so I got my eyes checked. was now 20/30 and 20/40 so got glasses. You can still drive legal without correction if even one eye is 20/45 or better, so I didn't need the to drive, but the difference was enough that I wore them most of the time anyway.

Last year when I went for my exam, I mentioned that I was taking off my glasses to read. Didn't need readers, but couldn't see at reading length when I had them on. So the guy said we can do progressives with prescription on the top and plano (no prescription) on the bottom). That took some getting used to, and I golf better when I use my old glasses (single prescription) for golfing.

I checked to see if they could do LASIK again, but while my corneas are thoicker than they need to be to HAVE LASIK, it is just by barely, so if they did it again the corneas would be too thin, so they said I couldn't do it again. So sticking with glasses until the day comes where I develop cataracts.

I wear glasses more now than before I had it done. Reading glasses but have to wear them anytime I want to see something clear within 3 feet. Get too close and can't see crap.

Distance is starting to get worse again I feel but they say I'm 20/20 to /15... need a second opinion. Have done the yearly checkup to keep the 7 year warranty in place.

Didn't realize how fast the short stuff would get worse correcting the long stuff.

Well it’s day 2 post-op. Could have driven to my appointment day after, but didn’t. Drove to the post office this morning and all was fine. Have some bruising in each eye and still ocasional blurriness or going in and out of focus like a camera lens.

Day 3 post-op and felt nearly normal today other than dry eye and some grittiness although I may just be hyper-aware. Eyes definitely got tired late in the day. Continuing medicated drops 4x/day and artificial tears as needed. I quickly overcame my eye drop phobia :LOL:

Back