LASIK....Who's had it? Who wants? Experiences?

I'm hoping to get it done in the next 8-10 years since I'm only 27 but my eyes are deteriorating at a pretty bad rate for distance year over year. Both of my parents had it done when they were around 40 ~15 years ago and it made a world of difference for them.

I had it done in 2016, I believe, at age 27. It was about $2000 per eye and was some of the best money I have ever spent. The person who took me watched it on a TV that they show the surgery on and she said that she would not get it done after watching, so take that for what it's worth.

5 days post-op and back at work the last two days. Eyes definitely pretty exhausted by the end of the day. Eyes feeling better, still very dry in the morning, but no issues driving. One week follow up in a couple days, hoping for good news!

I plan to get Lasik some day. Not sure when, but hopefully in the not too distant.

One week post-op appoint and doc has cleared me for golf :cool: said vision will continue to improve and stabilize over the next couple months.

I got PRK, which is the non-flap more old school (safer and more practiced) version of Lasik. They drop a little bit of acid to burn away the top layer of your eye to perform the Lasik. I did this because I was 23 and still playing a lot of sports, and did not want any potential complications due to the flap and eye poking.

I was bed ridden for about 3 days and eyes adjusted to 20/20 over a 30 day period afterwards. I also occasionally wake up with really dry eyes to point of tears and pain. I wish I would have done one of the newer methods of Lasik at this point, but can safely say its still one of the best things I have ever done. Highly, highly recommend if you are bothered by contacts and glasses.

I have my three month follow-up this week. Been going well, the only difference between feeling in the eyes now and pre-LASIK is that I’m way more conscious about not rubbing my eyes as hard as humanly possible with my knuckles 😆 the change has been great for golf as well, I can definitely follow the ball better (although my scores have not gone down!).

I got PRK, which is the non-flap more old school (safer and more practiced) version of Lasik. They drop a little bit of acid to burn away the top layer of your eye to perform the Lasik. I did this because I was 23 and still playing a lot of sports, and did not want any potential complications due to the flap and eye poking.

I was bed ridden for about 3 days and eyes adjusted to 20/20 over a 30 day period afterwards. I also occasionally wake up with really dry eyes to point of tears and pain. I wish I would have done one of the newer methods of Lasik at this point, but can safely say its still one of the best things I have ever done. Highly, highly recommend if you are bothered by contacts and glasses.

i was gonna do PRK but after seeing 2 of my buddies do it, i decided the recovery period wasn't worth it to me...that being said, i would be interested in doing lasik but it's not a "must have" like new clubs are :LOL:

I'll preface this by saying i know many, many people who have been VERY satisfied with their Lasik procedures. I went for the preliminary consult and evaluation at a very well respected clinic, in my area, about 10 years ago.... at that evaluation, I was told (incorrectly) that i had glaucoma and was scheduled for additional testing for that.

Had a harried phone call with my regular eye Dr. (who i had seen only weeks before) and a visit to him on the way home from the Lasik place... My regular eye guy tested me the same day at his office and assured me i did not have glaucoma but to go ahead with the follow up testing anyway... THAT test showed all was fine. I sort of lost confidence in the process and have settled for my Mr. Magoo eyesight since then.

Also - if you're considering the process... the cost per eye is based on the correction required (at least it was when i investigated the process) The $995 per eye you see, with your blurry vision, on billboards, is for a minimal amount of correction. Corrective Lasik for me, personally, was quoted at around $10k. ymmv.

I had it done about 12 years ago in the military and it was a revelation. No more goggles fogging up when getting out of helicopters! Anyway, I am still 20/20 and the docs say I have enough cornea for a touch up, whenever I need that.

I will say that it was a mildly creepy experience. The OR felt like where you go after an alien abduction, and the smell of the laser frying my eyeball put me off bacon for awhile! 🥓

Had my one year follow up. Eyes look good and I’m bad to the regular optometrist visits. Woohoo!!!

just now seeing this thread. I had LASIK 23 years ago and still see 20/20 after having coke bottle glasses before. Best money I've ever spend.

I had mine done a little over 2 years ago. I was already presbiopic (I was 41) so I had to do one eye distance, one eye reading, but I love it and only wish I'd done it sooner. I went with a nicer optometry practice in town and paid around $4,000 total, including all follow up visits. I'd have gladly paid double.

just now seeing this thread. I had LASIK 23 years ago and still see 20/20 after having coke bottle glasses before. Best money I've ever spend.
Also just found this thread. Wanted to chip in that I had LASIK 16 years ago. I still have good enough vision to pass for example aviation medical examination. Best money I've ever spent! Cost was 2500€ total for both eyes.

only a very small percentage of patients do not walk out of the surgery after it's done.

I had it done in 2016, I believe, at age 27. It was about $2000 per eye and was some of the best money I have ever spent. The person who took me watched it on a TV that they show the surgery on and she said that she would not get it done after watching, so take that for what it's worth.

I thought about it but never had it done. I was pretty trepidatious about someone carving on my corneas. Fast forward to late 2021. At the age of 69 my cataracts had gotten so bad that i was having trouble reading street signs, and a golf ball would disappear about 125-150 yards out! So, I got an exam and scheduled for cataract surgery. So much for carving on my corneas!

Amazing procedure! After being rolled back into the prep\recovery room after a short time I was informed that I was good to go. No eye patch, no goofy "coverall" sunglasses, just 20/20 vision! And now I can actually see where the golf ball goes!

Back