Lateral Hazard ruling correct? Hit green and rolled off right side [PIC]

jeremyheslop

Reaction score
Handicap
I played 9 last week and thought I made the correct ruling at the time, but I am now questioning myself. I was hitting my drives well that day and decided to go for the green with driver on a par 4. I hit the green across a lateral hazard (red stakes) and it bounced right into another lateral hazard (red stakes) to the right of the green. It did go in bounds (hit the green) as I could see the green clearly and then rolled in the water.

I figured I could drop two club lengths no closer the hole from the point it entered the water on the right side. Which was on the far right side of the peninsula. Blue dot is where the flag was. Here is the image (click for larger image):

I was able to chip up to 10 ft and save par.

What do you guys/gals think?

You drop within two club lengths at the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, no nearer the hole. 26-1c

26-1. Relief for Ball in Water Hazard

It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that the ball is in the hazard. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1.
If a ball is in a water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:
a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.
When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.
(Prohibited actions when ball is in hazard - see Rule 13-4.)
(Ball moving in water in a water hazard - see Rule 14-6.)

Thanks Hoosier!

I've gone over the rule book and went back and forth over exactly what you posted. I think I proceeded correctly but was looking for more feedback like: "That was wrong, your such a newb!" or "That's what I would have done" or "You are correct sir"

You stated in your posting the 26-1c Does that mean you think I proceeded correctly?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Sorry, yes, I would say you were correct.

Based on what you are saying you should be good. You did the right thing on that one

Thanks everyone! Good to know the rules are sinking in and that my round of 38 for 9 still stands. w00t!

Thanks Hoosier!

I've gone over the rule book and went back and forth over exactly what you posted. I think I proceeded correctly but was looking for more feedback like: "That was wrong, your such a newb!" or "That's what I would have done" or "You are correct sir"

You stated in your posting the 26-1c Does that mean you think I proceeded correctly?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Yes, that is one of the options with a lateral hazard...within two club lengths of where you entered the hazard, no closer to the hole.

Back