Launch monitors why do you need it?

Fitting purposes.

Use the LM monitor in tandem with hitting outside to Unlock the best combination of equipment

Do I need one? No. Does the data they provide benefit my golf game? Yes.

as I’m learning to play, I’mtoo much of a sweeper. This that limits the spin I put on the ball. Thanks tovlibs and ball I can still get good hight and tend to land soft on greens when I hit them.
The Titleist ball fitting I did immediately showed me that I wound beniefit from more spin to get better hight and this land angle. A chance from proV1 to PriV1X helped. But if I can improve my ball contact I may improve it more.

I would love a personal one. I need way more data to dial in what my distances are for each iron.

They can be an invaluable training tool. Even those without club data can help pinpoint swing faults if you know what to look for in the launch data.

Using a professional monitor under the right conditions will allow any golfer to improve faster than they could without a monitor.

I have a Skytrak and TGG so can play when the weather sucks. That and since I have paid off my house and everything else I have a bunch of disposal income and I have to spend it on something :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m available for adoption ?!

I want one for a very simple reason. There isn't one in my city, and I probably need to go 2 hours away for easy access to one. I want to be able to hit balls all year long, and see some sort of data to see progression.

I would like to become more knowledgeable about my swing, how club combinations could help minimize my flaws.

Bigger picture: I want a launch monitor and a simulator to feel special lol.

I have a skytrak, quality hitting turf, and an impact screen. I have a virtual driving range in my garage and use a propane heater so I can practice through the winter.

I have a skytrak, quality hitting turf, and an impact screen. I have a virtual driving range in my garage and use a propane heater so I can practice through the winter.
Sounds like a nice setup.

For me, I like the SC200 for two reasons. 1. Just to have fun on my shots at the range. 2. To practice different lengths. The SC has a practice mode where it gives me different length shots and I try to match that distance. It’s a fun game at the range.

I would love to have one of those trackman systems to actually play simulation golf. I would play all winter if I had that.

I would love to have one of those trackman systems to actually play simulation golf. I would play all winter if I had that.

Same here. Dream solution is a busted out one of my back rooms and turning it into a sim room. The GCHawk release just makes my thinking/want worse. Doubt the wife will go for it any time soon. :)

Because I'm a data nerd - the more data the better

Cause I’m a golf nerd and they’re so much fun.

I'd probably enjoy one mostly just to test out different shafts and balls. Optimizing spin would be a fun, sporadic hobby for me.

Bought a skytrak in 17, it was a pretty good unit, but the short game numbers always were in question, so I played the range more than simulation.
This year had an opportunity to buy a gc2, and honestly I think it is the best golf purchase I've made in the last 10 years.
Between the combines and practice modes and the Ogt tournaments, I'm in golf heaven.
Being in Canada, I always ended the season shooting high 70s and low 80s. Then I would start the season struggling to beat 90-100. I can tell you that won't be happening this season as I really think since I got my gc2 I will be shooting low to start this year.
I know sim rounds aren't exactly the same as real world rounds but they are pretty close. I shot a 69 at Torrey Pines South a few days ago. First ever sub par round. And hit a 179 yard hole in one a week or so back. Another first.
And being that I'm taking lessons on really how to hit with draw shape. And the GC2 is so useful as I see my numbers immediately and know what I did wrong or correct. Also short game is quite accurate on gc2 so can practice that as much as needed.
Really is the best thing I've purchased for golf in a long time. And since I quit smoking I don't feel bad spending money on myself.
Also my projector doubles as a TV so Starwars Battlefront 2 is pretty awesome
e88d76abc83598590bf7c2aecc3b91d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd like to have one to play around with and tinker with driver shaft/head combinations but haven't bought one yet mainly because I think it would be a distraction from practicing my short game and putting. Both of those areas are weaker than my full swing so that's really where I should be focusing my time. I have weekly access to simulators during the winter months and my club also has a Trackman that I have access to so buying an inferior launch monitor of my own is really just a want, and not an urgent one at that.

I'd like to have one to play around with and tinker with driver shaft/head combinations but haven't bought one yet mainly because I think it would be a distraction from practicing my short game and putting. Both of those areas are weaker than my full swing so that's really where I should be focusing my time. I have weekly access to simulators during the winter months and my club also has a Trackman that I have access to so buying an inferior launch monitor of my own is really just a want, and not an urgent one at that.
Short game is quite good on gc2 especially if you have hmt, I think I'm better than I ended the season on chips and pitches.
Cheaper launch monitors not so much.

And unsure how Doppler based monitors like trackman can do it accurately as they cannot see the ball coming off the club. But Gc2 and Gcquad don't have that problem. And I can put the ball anywhere on any course and hit balls from there in practice mode.

I just love gadgets so a launch monitor is "needed" to help improve my game :LOL::LOL:

I want to find and use a good and fairly inexpensive portable launch monitor. My main reason is the dial in distances of my irons. My home course has a driving range where you hit into a hillside, sharply slopping up. There is no way to tell what your true distances are without a monitor. Even when playing practice rounds on the course, there are a lot of elevation changes, with very few flat or level shots. So I've never truly dialed in my distances of my irons. I need/want a cheaper, portable, small launch monitor. Looking for great feedback from other THPers.

Short game is quite good on gc2 especially if you have hmt, I think I'm better than I ended the season on chips and pitches.
Cheaper launch monitors not so much.

And unsure how Doppler based monitors like trackman can do it accurately as they cannot see the ball coming off the club. But Gc2 and Gcquad don't have that problem. And I can put the ball anywhere on any course and hit balls from there in practice mode.

The launch monitors/simulators at my club are also pretty good with partial shots. What I really need this year other than better putting is to work on short pitch and bunker shots between 15-40 yards. We have a great practice area at my club I just need to dedicate more of my time there. I almost pulled the trigger on a used GC2 two years ago but my ceiling height won't accommodate a launch monitor, not even in the garage in our 1955 home.

I’m going through a divorce, but am trying to keep my house. If I’m able to, I have a two story family room and a vaulted ceiling in the downstairs master. Either could easily house an in home sim.

If I can keep it my annual bonus this summer will be spent on getting a SkyTrak with projection monitor setup in one of those two room, most likely the master bedroom. I have a standing deal with my retired dad that if I buy the setup he’ll build it. I’m not great at that type of thing and he is. He’ll want a key to my house, lol, but it’s my goal at this point.

For somewhere in the 3k range I can have a pretty accurate sim with projection screen and cage.

I have a 14 year old youth golfer that’s capable of securing a college scholarship. After his Freshman year he’s a 5.2 HC officially and is capable of being so much more. He’s grown 6” in the past year and today was the first time he’s swung a club since the end of his Freshman season. He’s gained 5mph CHS since then, and that’s with no swinging in between. I’m going to take a guess and say that he’ll play in the 115 range this coming fall, almost obscene considering his short game skills.

A 3k investment could easily help save 100k or so in college tuition for him. It’ll be on him as I’m going to try to give him all the tools to be successful but I’m not going to push him too much. It’s been a rough year around here for all mentally. Divorce and me almost dying in an car accident in September, I don’t blame him for not practicing like he used to. Previously he would practice every day, usually multiple hours. He hasn’t touched a club since sectionals which he didn’t make it out of.

So why a sim for me? Easy. I played 10 rounds in 2019. Prior years had me in the 50 round range. I didn’t lose my passion but just didn’t have time with the divorce pending and watching my kid play. I also coach baseball so I don’t play much prior to July. In September I had a bad wreck and today was the first day I’ve swung a club relatively fully since.

If I could play a round at my house anytime I wanted? Perfect. I’d probably use it mostly for the range function and dialing in yardages. It’d be nice to know exactly how to hit a 60-70-80 yard wedge. Right now I just kind of eye it and hope for the best.

It’ll also be nice to keep Jr motivated. He was all for hitting on the sim today. But prior to this year I didn’t have to ask him to practice, he just did. If I had some setup here that was fun and conducive to making him all he could be? I think he’d take great advantage of that. His goal this year is to end it as a 2HC. Junior season, +1, senior season +3.

But he needs to regain the passion to be the best. Giving him all the tools to be all he can be, that’s my main goal. I’ll have fun with it too and hopefully be a better golfer because of it. That’s secondary. I have someone that’s capable of being great. A sim provides him the best chance of being all he can be.

Back