That is one of the nice things about it, if you have it, but agreed, if you don't have it, you don't want it in your yard.

The house we bought was completely gutted about 4.5 years ago, and that included completely killing and resodding the lawn. It isn't a bad lawn, and we didn't have a TON of weed issues, but it was definitely thin in spots, so I want to have a much fuller yard come next spring.

I will admit learning more about lawn care has been fascinating to me, which probably signals I am becoming a full-fledged adult.
My wife got on to me for running outside and saying something to the kids were walking down the road decided to go off the road and walk through our front yard and then back on the road. We live out in the boonies, but I mean to get off the road just to walk through my yard and then back on the road...come on. I guess that means I'm officially old, hahaha

That is one of the nice things about it, if you have it, but agreed, if you don't have it, you don't want it in your yard.

The house we bought was completely gutted about 4.5 years ago, and that included completely killing and resodding the lawn. It isn't a bad lawn, and we didn't have a TON of weed issues, but it was definitely thin in spots, so I want to have a much fuller yard come next spring.

I will admit learning more about lawn care has been fascinating to me, which probably signals I am becoming a full-fledged adult.
One tip about weeds. It's cheaper and easier to apply a pre-emergent, and maybe spot spray whatever else comes up, than it is to put down a post emergent. At least that has been the case for me and my fescue yard. Applying a pre-emergent in Spring is the key for me to help control the weed pressure. Then my next line of defense if a strong, tense turf that will keep weed seeds from germinating.

One tip about weeds. It's cheaper and easier to apply a pre-emergent, and maybe spot spray whatever else comes up, than it is to put down a post emergent. At least that has been the case for me and my fescue yard. Applying a pre-emergent in Spring is the key for me to help control the weed pressure. Then my next line of defense if a strong, tense turf that will keep weed seeds from germinating.

Absolutely. I am actually pretty lucky, we have a semi-local place here in KC that has what they call an "Idiot Proof" Program, which recommends all of the products for you to use throughout the year, including that Spring Pre-Emergent you talked about.

I definitely plan on being diligent about controlling them before they crop up, and then spot spraying, but definitely want to build that good foundation, to hopefully choke out the majority of those weed seeds before they can germinate.

Absolutely. I am actually pretty lucky, we have a semi-local place here in KC that has what they call an "Idiot Proof" Program, which recommends all of the products for you to use throughout the year, including that Spring Pre-Emergent you talked about.

I definitely plan on being diligent about controlling them before they crop up, and then spot spraying, but definitely want to build that good foundation, to hopefully choke out the majority of those weed seeds before they can germinate.
That's nice to have a place you can go to for advise.

FWIW, my spot spray technique is a one gallon sprayer and Round Up for Lawns Concentrate. It lasted me a while spot spraying my entire yard, so it'll last you for years :ROFLMAO: I got a little exercise out of it too. Walking and looking at your yard also keys you in on areas that might need help.

That's nice to have a place you can go to for advise.

FWIW, my spot spray technique is a one gallon sprayer and Round Up for Lawns Concentrate. It lasted me a while spot spraying my entire yard, so it'll last you for years :ROFLMAO: I got a little exercise out of it too. Walking and looking at your yard also keys you in on areas that might need help.

Especially nice for someone like me, who has never done anything other than mow a lawn before.

Just got a quote from Trugreen to Aerate and Overseed.
I've have had Trugreen for a couple of years now and my grass looks so much better.
We had Creeping Charlie that I just could not get rid of and I know the Lawn companies have chemicals that aren't available to the general public.
They knocked out in 18 months - Tough Stuff.
With my wife having quite the perennial garden, having good green grass adds to the look.

Just got a quote from Trugreen to Aerate and Overseed.
I've have had Trugreen for a couple of years now and my grass looks so much better.
We had Creeping Charlie that I just could not get rid of and I know the Lawn companies have chemicals that aren't available to the general public.
They knocked out in 18 months - Tough Stuff.
With my wife having quite the perennial garden, having good green grass adds to the look.

I am glad you have had a good experience with Trugreen, I have heard NIGHTMARES, it just shows you it really matters more about the people than the company.

I am glad you have had a good experience with Trugreen, I have heard NIGHTMARES, it just shows you it really matters more about the people than the company.
My lawn became so good that my neighbor got the service as well.

I remember when I moved in to my house, I had an older gentleman live 2 houses to the north. The neighbor between us had the Creeping Charlie and did nothing to get rid of it, so that older gentleman used to buy 50lbs of Salt and poured on his property line so the Creeping Charlie won't come in to his yard and it worked. )Most weed killers have some type of Sodium in it.)

One of those old timers solutions that just worked.

I remember when I moved in to my house, I had an older gentleman live 2 houses to the north. The neighbor between us had the Creeping Charlie and did nothing to get rid of it, so that older gentleman used to buy 50lbs of Salt and poured on his property line so the Creeping Charlie won't come in to his yard and it worked. )Most weed killers have some type of Sodium in it.)

I have one of those neighbors that donates various weeds throughout the year, esp. creeping charlie. May need to give this a shot!

Had to consult Google about "creeping charlie"!! that is the only weed I didn't get from my neighbors!
It's really Nasty Stuff - It's in the Mint family and it grows through vines through the grass - You don't want, ever.
If you get small purple flowers in your lawn or in the flower beds in the spring - That's it.
It's also called Ground Ivy.

Well, I'm going to fight a limited war against the ground ivy that is occupying section of yard with our berries and veggie gardens, near the line of privacy shrubs in the back. I'm not optimistic, but here is the plan, based on advice from my seed supplier:

I've mowed the area as low as I can and have placed clear plastic film over it all. The idea is the clear film traps enough heat to evaporate the water in the greens/soil and condense on the leaves, killing them.

After 4-5 weeks, remove the film, till very lightly, and remove as many rhizomes/stolons as I can.

Reseed.

After the lawn has been established, and after the first frost but before the ground becomes hard, hit any spots of ground ivy with the Ortho weed killer designed for ground ivy and clover. This will minimize the chances of any of the herbicides getting into the food.

Install very deep edging to try to keep any weeds on the shrubs side of the edging and away from the lawn.

Here is what it looked like after I scalped part of the lawn (foreground). Behind it, you can see how badly the ground ivy has taken over. This part of the lawn has not seen an herbicide in 15-20 years.

View attachment 9020509
Same spot after four weeks under clear 6 mil plastic sheet:
1632423185609.jpeg

Turned it over lightly with a tiller and removed most of the root clods. Not waiting for the seed to germinate. NOTE: If yoiu don't have direct sun, use black plastic sheet and wait a little longer in those areas. Learned that the hard way.

I have fescue and blue grass. I need the two types in case one is diseased; that way, ill still have grass left haha. Fescue is great, but only grows in sprouts. It doesn't spread here. Blue grass will spread and fill in the gaps. Killer combo I'm NJ.

I am getting so tired of it. I spend hours of back breaking labor taking care of my yard and spend $$$$$ on seed, fertilizer, compost, etc…. But my damn neighbors continue to let their dogs pee on my yard when they are walking their dogs, which results in these brown spots.
1C579292-EBB8-44AC-A7C4-5D151832D120.jpeg
Of course if I bring it up, I’m the asshole.

TrueGreen killed my lawn with too much weedkiller. I had them replace my entire lawn. I did it in a way trying not to threaten - I had before and after pics.

Since then, the lawn has grown back and they've been okay. But their employees complain a lot about them. Will find another service next year.

I am getting so tired of it. I spend hours of back breaking labor taking care of my yard and spend $$$$$ on seed, fertilizer, compost, etc…. But my damn neighbors continue to let their dogs pee on my yard when they are walking their dogs, which results in these brown spots.
View attachment 9030522
Of course if I bring it up, I’m the asshole.

Our dog pees in our yard and it doesn’t cause that, are you sure that’s from a dog? I mean if you live in a neighborhood and your grass is next to the sidewalk what should they do only allow their dog to go to the bathroom in their yard?

Our dog pees in our yard and it doesn’t cause that, are you sure that’s from a dog? I mean if you live in a neighborhood and your grass is next to the sidewalk what should they do only allow their dog to go to the bathroom in their yard?
Yes. It’s from a dog. It’s a common problem with some female dogs and dogs on certain medication. And yes, if your dog has a problem scorching grass then you should not allow your dog to pee in other people’s yard.

Yes. It’s from a dog. It’s a common problem with some female dogs and dogs on certain medication. And yes, if your dog has a problem scorching grass then you should not allow your dog to pee in other people’s yard.
Just so I understand are you suggesting that these dogs shouldn’t be allowed on walks or that the walker makes them walk in the street only?

Yikes.

Just so I understand are you suggesting that these dogs shouldn’t be allowed on walks or that the walker makes them walk in the street only?

Yikes.
No. I’m suggesting that if you have a dog whose dog’s urine burns grass, then let the dog pee in your yard, not mine. Have it pee in your yard before walks.
This isn’t from random people that just so happen are walking by on a jog walk, but are from neighbors that walk their dog up and down the street the dog can relieve itself.

We had a Terrier mix when I was growing up. We had to put her on medication for a while and every place she peed in the yard turned into a brown dead spot. That is when I found out about the issue. When she was on the medicationa, her days of walks around The neighborhood were suspended because of it.

Its not all dogs.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
looking for advice on how to fix a big patch of area damaged by what appears to be some skunks digging holes all over to eat grubs. it looks like some angry golfer took a club and start hacking up the ground :mad:

I'll get some pics tomorrow, but this is the 4th area in my back yard - roughly 10x10 patch that got dug up pretty good.

My entire block is being destroyed by moles. Literally every house up and down my block has been hit by moles, these critters are so destructive.

My entire block is being destroyed by moles. Literally every house up and down my block has been hit by moles, these critters are so destructive.
These things have saved me from moles. When they are active I can catch multiple in a day. They are so easy to install.
I’ve killed 2 so far this month - I think they are the only two for now.

These things have saved me from moles. When they are active I can catch multiple in a day. They are so easy to install.
I’ve killed 2 so far this month - I think they are the only two for now.

The problem is, unless the rest of the neighbors do it too, it doesn’t matter. A few of my neighbors (including us) have done stuff to kill them, but without the rest of the neighbors doing it too, they just keep coming back.

The problem is, unless the rest of the neighbors do it too, it doesn’t matter. A few of my neighbors (including us) have done stuff to kill them, but without the rest of the neighbors doing it too, they just keep coming back.
That sucks.

looking for advice on how to fix a big patch of area damaged by what appears to be some skunks digging holes all over to eat grubs. it looks like some angry golfer took a club and start hacking up the ground :mad:

I'll get some pics tomorrow, but this is the 4th area in my back yard - roughly 10x10 patch that got dug up pretty good.
The best way is to get rid of the grubs… otherwise the skunks will return or, if you kill them, others will show up. There are some products that use chemicals (Grub-X and others), and some products that go the more natural route and use nematodes to control grubs. The nematodes are microscopic worms that secrete a chemical that kills grubs but is harmless to people and pets. I’ve used both and either will work. I prefer the nematode route, but it is not as immediate as the straight chemical solution. Your call. Good luck!!

Back