We're moving at the end of October to our new home and it's got new bermuda sod laid out for the entire yard.
I've been working our current yard to get rid of the weeds this past season so it looks like I'll keep what I've learned and make this yard look SPECTACULAR this coming grow season.

Livestock grazing is an option, but they have their own greenhouse gas emissions issues.
My sister got two pigs last year (don’t ask me why) and it took them 2 months to turn her yard into mud pit. Really impressive. Smelly, but impressive.

First drink for the winter grass.

D7862F7A-1A6D-4CD3-9DF7-EF3AB1F9CFF5.jpeg

yes I’m drinking a beer too.

I had to pick up another bag of seed yesterday. 6 weeks ago a 50 lb bag was $99. Now it’s $140. There is now a major shortage of seed going on.

Finally had a dry couple days here so was able to spend some time out working in the yard (until the rain came back this evening and I had to stop).

Recently mulched and planted some new sedum, the crepe myrtle, some azaleas, and trimmed the boxwoods. Going to be adding some more blue rug juniper.
Gave it a good cut and edge, and hopefully the neighboring oak leaves just blow through our yard this fall instead of piling on. Getting ready for the lawn care company to come out for a fall treatment.

EF8DF8A5-3B9C-42E0-A900-29DBB9032A0D.jpeg

Has anyone had their neighbor “accidentally” cut their grass? It’s happened to me TWICE in the last 6 months. I have been meticulously planning my cuts, and allowing the grass to grow long so it sprouts seeds and fills in some spots.

And my neighbor, to his credit, knows all of this because we are cool and talk. But his freaking landscaper has cut several strips of my grass super low twice now. And when that happens, you basically have to cut the rest fairly low or it looks ridiculous. It happened last weekend and my neighbor called me and asked me to come outside. We talked and just had the guy cut the grass the rest of the way.

But how in the heck does this happen?

Has anyone had their neighbor “accidentally” cut their grass? It’s happened to me TWICE in the last 6 months. I have been meticulously planning my cuts, and allowing the grass to grow long so it sprouts seeds and fills in some spots.

And my neighbor, to his credit, knows all of this because we are cool and talk. But his freaking landscaper has cut several strips of my grass super low twice now. And when that happens, you basically have to cut the rest fairly low or it looks ridiculous. It happened last weekend and my neighbor called me and asked me to come outside. We talked and just had the guy cut the grass the rest of the way.

It happens because there are no consequences to the landscaper. I'm trying to think of something appropriate, but I can't right now. Something like that would frost my buns, too. Your neighbor probably feels as bad about it as you do.

Both of my neighbors cut their own to about the same height as mine, but I know my wife would love it if one of them had a service and "accidentally" cut a few rows to a lower height, which she - incorrectly - believes is best for the lawn.

Last edited:

My neighbors have been until I located the property pins last week and remarked them.

She certainly did! And just this week she was complaining about wavy mower tracks.

I got a scarifier / dethatcher. I’m more excited than I should be. Sign me up for one of those turning into your parents commercials.

Back in April, I moved into a house that had a 30’, above ground pool in the backyard. After spending a month and a couple hundred dollars trying unsuccessfully to get the water clear enough for swimming, I gave up and tore down the pool. I tried for 4 months to find someone to fill in the hole left by the pool and today, it finally happened. Tomorrow, he’s laying fresh sod and planting a sugar maple.

4891268B-8B20-4E00-A046-AC9E6E20F589.jpeg6103FCC3-C7FD-417E-A448-E5FC279385B6.jpeg5E2D6867-1A3A-4889-81EA-830C7FE9F352.jpeg

:love:

1635100245031.jpeg

This was the area of my lawn near my fruit and vegetables garden that had been taken over by ground ivy without any chemical spraying taking place. This picture shows the original "lawn" and part of it after I scalped it and before I put down 6 mil clear plastic sheet for four weeks to try to kill everything:

1635121110538.png

This is how it looked after four week under the sheets. I turned it over lightly with a tiller and picked out as many weed roots and ground ivy stolons as I could.

1635121350833.png

This is how it looked today after seeding on Sep 18 and two mowings this week. It won't be fully settled in until late next spring, but I am seeing no ground ivy so far. Looks like it was worth the extra effort. There are some thin spots I'll need to address, but by and large I'm happy. (The big bare spot will be under mulch, on the other side of some thermonuclear edging I'll be putting down in spring.) Next step its to go after any identified ground ivy with herbicide in the next two weeks now that fruit and veggie season is over.

1635121506394.jpeg

Lawn coming back nicely after aeration and fertilizer.
20211028_083311.jpg
I've also been using a manual reel mower on a portion of my backyard around the fire pit. Cut it to 1.5" here, versus 3" everywhere else with the rider. Grass has responded well, and is really thickening up. Bonus, I can hit balls off it and it's like playing from the fairway! Going to try to mix in some bluegrass next year to this area.
20211028_083142.jpg

Lawn coming back nicely after aeration and fertilizer.
View attachment 9039175
I've also been using a manual reel mower on a portion of my backyard around the fire pit. Cut it to 1.5" here, versus 3" everywhere else with the rider. Grass has responded well, and is really thickening up. Bonus, I can hit balls off it and it's like playing from the fairway! Going to try to mix in some bluegrass next year to this area.
View attachment 9039176

Your grass looks so soft!

Ours is definitely getting ready for dormancy, and I think we maybe have 1 more mow before we are done for the season.

Projects this weekend include cutting back the my fig tree and the Crepe myrtle in the front before it gets too cold.

So I am in North Carolina. I aerated , seeded and put down fertilizer about five weeks ago.Grass came in just ok. Do i have time to hit the areas that dont look so good. And if yes can I use fertilizer and/or lime.

Your grass looks so soft!

Ours is definitely getting ready for dormancy, and I think we maybe have 1 more mow before we are done for the season.

Projects this weekend include cutting back the my fig tree and the Crepe myrtle in the front before it gets too cold.
Thanks. It's been a good year for the grass. Plenty of rain without any hot dry spells this summer helped a lot.

Like you, going to be cleaning up a lot of the landscaping this weekend, if it stays dry enough. I love fall for the colors it brings, but not for the landscape work

Thanks. It's been a good year for the grass. Plenty of rain without any hot dry spells this summer helped a lot.

Like you, going to be cleaning up a lot of the landscaping this weekend, if it stays dry enough. I love fall for the colors it brings, but not for the landscape work

Living in Florida all my life I never really understood the concept of seasons, and leaves changing colors and falling off, and all the leaves you have to pick up....every week...for a month, haha.

So I am in North Carolina. I aerated , seeded and put down fertilizer about five weeks ago.Grass came in just ok. Do i have time to hit the areas that dont look so good. And if yes can I use fertilizer and/or lime.
Judging by your frost date of mid October, I think it might be a bit late to try to seed now, but you may want to see if someone else from your area can chime in.

Living in Florida all my life I never really understood the concept of seasons, and leaves changing colors and falling off, and all the leaves you have to pick up....every week...for a month, haha.
If there are enough leaves on the ground for a small pile, my kids think we have to go out and rake. Luckily they are getting old enough they can do it pretty well on their own, but raking for a month is no joke!

If there are enough leaves on the ground for a small pile, my kids think we have to go out and rake. Luckily they are getting old enough they can do it pretty well on their own, but raking for a month is no joke!

A neighbor on one side of us has a huge oak tree that goes over part of our yard and he doesn't do a damn thing about it. He just lets those leaves fall all over our yard and driveway, drives me crazy! It's also cutting in to our maple tree making it all deformed. His tree is dying too, he needs to just cut that thing down.

After all the rain this week, my yard is covered with leaves. I hate leaves haha

Back