You’re welcome
I got a Ryobi.. Which meant I had to get batteries because I don't have Ryobi things, but they had a deal going on where if you buy batteries, you get a free reciprocating saw....

....maaay be more excited about the saw hahaha - they wreck ****

Someone talk me out of this deal
Screenshot_20210711-212852_Chrome.jpg

For some reason I think they had something slightly better for the 4th but I didn't pull the trigger.. but I'm guessing black friday deals will be better

Well since no one talked me out of it I ended up with that set up, put it to some use today doing the edging. I really need to throw topsoil and seed this fall the try and get the front a little nicer.
20210717_171201.jpg

Or any lawn experts think based on the appearance I should use have it "scraped" and sodded?

Well since no one talked me out of it I ended up with that set up, put it to some use today doing the edging. I really need to throw topsoil and seed this fall the try and get the front a little nicer.
View attachment 9017258

Or any lawn experts think based on the appearance I should use have it "scraped" and sodded?
That’s an easy approach but the soils condition also needs to be addressed or the sod will look like that again. Unfortunately these areas between the sidewalk abs street are notoriously bad for rock, debris and just bad soil.

That’s an easy approach but the soils condition also needs to be addressed or the sod will look like that again. Unfortunately these areas between the sidewalk abs street are notoriously bad for rock, debris and just bad soil.
And parts of the rest of the lawn are quite patchy too. So sounds like you recommend to have it professionally done and done right vs battle it for a few years? Makes sense, it just will be a much bigger expense

And parts of the rest of the lawn are quite patchy too. So sounds like you recommend to have it professionally done and done right vs battle it for a few years? Makes sense, it just will be a much bigger expense
It took me about 7 to 8 years to get their yard looking good. It is just a long process.

Not to mention that the paved surfaces tend to bake the surrounding soil.

You did a nice job with that edger, BTW.

Another option would be to have the soil tested, know exactly what is needed, and apply it yourself.

Another option would be to have the soil tested, know exactly what is needed, and apply it yourself.

Good point here. You can start with a free or very low cost analysis from Rutgers Cooperative Extension and go from there. To get trace minerals analysis and stuff like that is more costly.

This year will be a complete bust for the lawn.
Didn't bother to dethatch to start the year.
Wife won't let me put any chemicals down this year.
Gave up on pulling weeds ages ago.
Watering as much as I can, and since we are in a drought and crazy heat waves constantly, I have started to tail back on it.
Next year is another story. Chemicals will flow! Weed killer, fertilizer, reseeding.... I seriously cannot wait.

This year will be a complete bust for the lawn.
Didn't bother to dethatch to start the year.
Wife won't let me put any chemicals down this year.
Gave up on pulling weeds ages ago.
Watering as much as I can, and since we are in a drought and crazy heat waves constantly, I have started to tail back on it.
Next year is another story. Chemicals will flow! Weed killer, fertilizer, reseeding.... I seriously cannot wait.

Maybe you can use some of these this year.

I have to go chemical for some weeds, like crabgrass and ground ivy, but I need much less than I used to because of my organic/natural regimen. The philosophy is that if you feed/improve the soil, the lawn will follow. I've been doing this for about three years and my lawn has honestly never looked better. Neighbors on either side of me have lawn treatment services and mine looks better than theirs. They're asking me what I'm doing. These are not the only options of this type, but they are two I can vouch for.

I like this, because everything is in one package:

I have used this one with great success, and I know @JB is a fan. There is a little more work involved (IMO) because the complete program has multiple components:

It was a good day to spray fungicide, humid acid, kelp, some vitamins and spot spray weeds.
73795E38-3849-4BD8-974B-119F2E9F875B.jpeg73795E38-3849-4BD8-974B-119F2E9F875B.jpeg

Reactions: J4U
This is the best My yard has looked in the middle of July.
View attachment 9017708
View attachment 9017710
I was just thinking the same thing. In the 7 years this is the best its looked by far, and I'm about to mow for the 2nd time this week because its growing so fast. Usually June and August a get some breaks from mowing due to drought, but the rains these last few weeks have really brought it to life.

I was just thinking the same thing. In the 7 years this is the best its looked by far, and I'm about to mow for the 2nd time this week because its growing so fast. Usually June and August a get some breaks from mowing due to drought, but the rains these last few weeks have really brought it to life.
Same here. I’m mowing twice per week. The only downside has been a fungus fight all summer.

Same here. I’m mowing twice per week. The only downside has been a fungus fight all summer.
What do you use to treat the fungus? I have a small area of yellowing/browning stems that popped up after all this rain. I'm sure there's 1,000 fungi, but I'm not knowledgeable on any fungicides, fungi ides so wondering if there is one that treats most of the common culprits?

What do you use to treat the fungus? I have a small area of yellowing/browning stems that popped up after all this rain. I'm sure there's 1,000 fungi, but I'm not knowledgeable on any fungicides, fungi ides so wondering if there is one that treats most of the common culprits?
Heritage G is a good granular one. I’m using this one right now since I can spray it when I’m spraying other stuff.

I also like Bayer Bio advanced.

Heritage G is a good granular one. I’m using this one right now since I can spray it when I’m spraying other stuff.

I also like Bayer Bio advanced.

That's a small container. It won't take up mushroom.

I'm sorry. That was in spore taste.

I can easily name 101 things I’d rather be doing when it’s 88*. We have a 5-6 day heat wave coming so I wanted to complete part of this project today.

I’ll add pea gravel around the drainage pipe to reduce movement during the Winter freeze and Spring thaw. This is a complete renovation project. Attempting a transplant for Amur Maple and Globe Arborvitae. There’s another globe to the left and it’s coming out too. Think smaller plants like a Hydrangea tree and Weigela shrubs will be better for this area. Current plants are too big.
B070823D-753F-4E8E-B193-5CEB44C4F4A3.jpeg
6D646CD5-44E4-4DE6-830D-FF84CA1CA65A.jpeg

I just popped in here to drool over all of the green grass.

Spoiler
It's painful watching my yard turn a mottled brown/green. The early heat (113°) two weeks ago coupled with the consistent upper 90's and north wind has really dried everything out. I'm trying to water enough to keep it alive but I don't know if it's working.

This was the worst year of the drought so far. What little snow fell in the Sierras soaked into the ground when it melted so there was no run off. All of the reservoirs here in NorCal are already at 30 something percent which are late fall levels. In fact, Oroville is so low that it's projected to quit producing electricity in August.

Last edited:
Ok am I took late for crab grass... I did the treatment in March but still coming out...is it a pick by hand or too bad so sad this late?

Ok am I took late for crab grass... I did the treatment in March but still coming out...is it a pick by hand or too bad so sad this late?

Not too late. What kind of grass do you have?

Back