When is the best time to apply pure nitrogen to a lawn?

When is the best time to apply pure nitrogen to a lawn?

Partly depends on what type of grass you have, but curious, did you get some sort of lawn sample that told you that you were low on N, but in a good range for everything else? Nothing wrong with applying pure N, but there might be better options depending on the makeup of your soil.

Partly depends on what type of grass you have, but curious, did you get some sort of lawn sample that told you that you were low on N, but in a good range for everything else? Nothing wrong with applying pure N, but there might be better options depending on the makeup of your soil.
I am in Oklahoma, regular bermuda. Just wanted to look into getting it a bit greener. It looks fine now, I just wanted to see how green I could get it.

Agree with those saying "best lawn for mid-July in years"... this week has been very mild for the middle of summer. I mowed Sunday & Wednesday so far this week, but it does look good. I think I'll do some spot weed spray tonight since there are some minor things creeping in, mostly around the edges... probably wind blown & bird droppings.

Wow, no idea what's wrong with mine as I mow every 2 weeks. But I guess that's due to the lawn not being perfectly healthy. I also need to replace my sprinkler system but I need to make some improvements first to justify it

ne now, I just wanted to see how green
I am in Oklahoma, regular bermuda. Just wanted to look into getting it a bit greener. It looks fine now, I just wanted to see how green I could get it.

I would really recommend a soil test, I did one on my yard this year, and it was super eye-opening. It will really let you know what you need to feed your lawn.

Having said that, Bermuda is warm-season grass, so you can and frankly should apply during the summer months.

If it were you and in need of significant soil improvement, seeding, etc on say 1/2 of your lawn (other half is pretty good, just needs some leveling, overseeding, weed control), but also needing the sprinkler system fixed (1200 was the quote 2 years ago for the whole front and back, just looking to do front but it's 2/3 of the area), would you:
A) take care of the lawn first, then sprinkler
Or
B) Sprinklers then lawn??

This is the front side thats in rougher shape.. other side of the driveway is largely pretty decent
20210723_175136.jpg

All of the rain lately has really helped the lawn. A few years ago we planted zoysa grass bulb by bulb. It does decently and doesn’t need much mowing, but it’s a mutt of different types of grasses. The brown spots for some reason never go away. It’s a never ending dandelion fight though.

Attachments

• 2E489B13-1ED0-4517-AB34-2A1D90229379.jpeg
    2E489B13-1ED0-4517-AB34-2A1D90229379.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 6
What is the best way to help get rid of dandelions? I try to dig them up as I see them. Round up kills the grass around them. Someone told me I cut it too short which makes the grass lose the fight easier. Is this true?

If it were you and in need of significant soil improvement, seeding, etc on say 1/2 of your lawn (other half is pretty good, just needs some leveling, overseeding, weed control), but also needing the sprinkler system fixed (1200 was the quote 2 years ago for the whole front and back, just looking to do front but it's 2/3 of the area), would you:
A) take care of the lawn first, then sprinkler
Or
B) Sprinklers then lawn??

This is the front side thats in rougher shape.. other side of the driveway is largely pretty decent
View attachment 9018241
Sprinklers then lawn, cuz won’t the lawn get torn up with fixing the sprinkler system?

What is the best way to help get rid of dandelions? I try to dig them up as I see them. Round up kills the grass around them. Someone told me I cut it too short which makes the grass lose the fight easier. Is this true?
Get a herbicide with 2,4-D in it. HD, wal mart etc will have a hose end ready to use container. Some may have dicamba and or meccoprop too which is good. Just check the label to make sure it’s compatible with your grass

Sprinklers then lawn, cuz won’t the lawn get torn up with fixing the sprinkler system?
That's what I thought, plus watering the new grass daily/weekly would be a PITA with the oscillating Sprinklers I have, but a landscaper told me the other way around.. maybe he just wanted the project and $ lol

Get a herbicide with 2,4-D in it. HD, wal mart etc will have a hose end ready to use container. Some may have dicamba and or meccoprop too which is good. Just check the label to make sure it’s compatible with your grass
Thank you. It has been exhausting. That sounds like just what the dr. ordered

Three years ago, after a year or so of retirement, I decided to Do Something about the lawn. Four different selective herbicides to whack the wide variety of undesirable stuff. (Name a weed. We had it.) Power-raking. Spot-patching. (Some of them pretty sizable patches.) Over-seeding twice--once that fall and again in springtime. More weed treatments. Grub treatments. Rigorous fertilizing. Making sure it got cut on-schedule.

It was thick. It was lush. It looked beautiful. Walking on it was like walking on thick pile carpeting. Was getting all kinds of complements.

Then, last fall, neglected the fall feed. Then came spring. Mower engine needed replacement and, due to replacement engine stock status, that took forever. My knee went out and I couldn't do the weed treatment. (I didn't fertilize on-purpose because I had no idea when we'd get our mower back.) All that was bad enough, but then I compounded the problems by failing to suspend the sprinkler system when we repeatedly got boat-loads of rain. Add to all that to an exceptionally hot and humid spring/early summer. Soil became overly-saturated and now the lawn is literally riddled with brown spots.

Lawn fungus 😢 Those brown spots aren't dormant, they're dead.

So I get to do it all over again, only with Extra Added Steps:
  1. Kill the fungus: A minimum of two fungicide treatments, three weeks apart
  2. Fertilize
In late summer/early fall:
  1. Power-rake again, to remove all the dead stuff
  2. Aerate (I'll hire someone to do that)
  3. Patch
  4. Overseed
*sigh*...

At least now we have a Rachio 3 "smart" irrigation controller. With proper zone programming, it "knows" what needs water, and when, thus avoiding my biggest mistake this season. I'm thinking of acquiring a Personal Weather Station to make sure it knows how much water we're getting, right here.

Mowed after golf and made damn sure to not go anywhere near the yellow jacket nest. I need to burn it out, but it's right against a fence post.

Soil testing should be free or nearly ao at your local cooperative extension.

iron like this will green your lawn if it works with your grass:

When mowing, do you guys bag, spray, or mulch the grass clippings?
And do you trim before or after?

Mowed after golf and made damn sure to not go anywhere near the yellow jacket nest. I need to burn it out, but it's right against a fence post.
I deal with them by going out at night and giving their entrances a good shot of Sevin.

Bag. We have to in our neighborhood but I like to anyway.

After I’m done cutting I edge.

I am going to have to take some pictures and get some help. I have spots that are really struggling.

Bag. We have to in our neighborhood but I like to anyway.

After I’m done cutting I edge.
Really!!! Can’t believe they make you bag. How would they know if you mulched? I guess it keeps the thatch down a lot though.
Ive been trimming before I mow so I don’t have to clean up as much after trimming last.

Really!!! Can’t believe they make you bag. How would they know if you mulched? I guess it keeps the thatch down a lot though.
Ive been trimming before I mow so I don’t have to clean up as much after trimming last.
I’m sure they wouldn’t, but we have some larger lawns in this neighborhood and of people didn’t bag and blew around or left clumps it would be noticeable.

i mulch. Fortunately my Honda push mower really breaks up the clippings. I trim after mowing. The lawn guys I read say to mulch and leave the leaves in fall, that they’ll be fine enough to fall through the blades of grass, but I’ve never felt like that worked.

Back