Layup or Go for It charts

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
This article gives some insight on strategy re: laying up or going for it.

Pretty interesting read.

Charts from article clipped and shown below

Standard chart:

standard-1024x397.jpg

I'm behind, gotta score chart

par-aggresive-1024x380.jpg

It's OK to bogey, I'm ahead, let's play conservative chart

bogey-aggresive-1024x368.jpg

For me, a player in between 85 and 90, I say the charts are pretty accurate.

Very conservative approach. I don't have the kind of discipline.

I get where the article is going with this and I finished as a 6.8 HC this year....but im going for it!! Depending on the conditions I can hit either a 6 iron or definitely 5 iron 200 yards. I am going for it 100% of the time from that distance. The standard chart "toss up," im not even debating it. Going for it all the way

I get where the article is going with this and I finished as a 6.8 HC this year....but im going for it!! Depending on the conditions I can hit either a 6 iron or definitely 5 iron 200 yards. I am going for it 100% of the time from that distance. The standard chart "toss up," im not even debating it. Going for it all the way
Hell if its 260 and no hazard in front of the green I'm taking a swipe at it. ?

As an "85" I'd say they are conservative, but it's also not a whole picture. At 220 there is still a chance I'm going for it depending on the surroundings. That to me dictates whether I try more so than distance. The risk/reward if trouble is involved.

Hell if its 260 and no hazard in front of the green I'm taking a swipe at it. ?

Lmao exactly! if its 230 to carry water im going for it... You need to talk me out of going for it

There's already a long thread on this that was started yesterday. Bottom line, there are way too many variables that determine whether I lay up or go for it. Narrowing it down to one variable (distance) would be naïve.

There's already a long thread on this that was started yesterday. Bottom line, there are way too many variables that determine whether I lay up or go for it. Narrowing it down to one variable (distance) would be naïve.
My bad. This time of year, I am very busy, so I didn't look back much more than the top threads and didn't see anything.

Driver off the deck NO MATTER WHAT!%!

I think it's pretty spot on (once it gets to 180 it gets dicey) but I doubt I am ever laying up from 160 even with a conservative approach.

I am going for the hole every shot, no lay ups. :ROFLMAO::dohanim:

My bad. This time of year, I am very busy, so I didn't look back much more than the top threads and didn't see anything.

Eh, it's not a big deal.

I think a lot of it depends on trouble. If they is water in front it is a lot different to go for it at 200-220 than if you can just run it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. I shoot 80-85 and 200 is pretty much go time every time. Why wouldn't you?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I think I would quit golf if I had to follow this chart lol.

I think this is really interesting, and probably accurate.

I am far from an "analytics" guy, and I view stat-based strategies like these with healthy skepticism. But I am recently back into golf after a 20+ year hiatus. I have not yet regained consistency, so I have had to learn to "think" my way around the course more than I did back in the day when I could hit a 2 iron. And my recent personal experience kind of backs up these recommendations.

One change I have made was to drop my mid-to-long irons and (brand new) hybrids. I make my way around the course with a 3w, 7-8-9i, and two wedges. I only hit my 3w off the tee. And I only hit my 7i about 158 avg right now. So if I'm 170 out, I'm laying up. My scoring has markedly improved, even though I 'm still struggling to regain my "game".

I agree that it's really hard to convince myself not to shoot for every GIR when I'm 170-220 out, so I leave those sticks in the garage. I think following a chart like this would be tough with a full bag, but I don't disbelieve the concept.

Last edited:
I like this chart however this guy takes over sometimes when I should be using it

Right now I would not go for it unless it was less that 160 to the pin. Twenty years ago It would be 180/200. The only 180 club I have in my bag today is my driver. ;)

Back